GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08, and I love the bike. It seems that everyone I talk with lately suggests it's time to get rid of it for another one, of course they are not wing owners. My bike has just about 123,000 miles on it right now, and my thoughts are, the bike is still warranted until March of 2015 and I have had no mechanical issues at all (knock on wood) :banghead:, so keep it atleast until then. I have kept up with all of the maintenance, and all seems great. My rear shock needs replaced so I have scheduled a full full Monty install for Oct 8. I guess the point of all this is....am I sinking too much into a bike with that many miles? I don't think so, but others seem to think so. I would actually love to take this bike to it's limit in miles ridden, not sure how many that will be, but at the current pace I will be well over 200,000 at the end of the warranty period.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
No problems? I would keep it and put whatever mods on it you want. If you sell in the future I would do it while there is some warranty left. I think it is a good selling point especially on a high mileage bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have an 08, and I love the bike. It seems that everyone I talk with lately suggests it's time to get rid of it for another one, of course they are not wing owners. My bike has just about 123,000 miles on it right now, and my thoughts are, the bike is still warranted until March of 2015 and I have had no mechanical issues at all (knock on wood) :banghead:, so keep it atleast until then. I have kept up with all of the maintenance, and all seems great. My rear shock needs replaced so I have scheduled a full full Monty install for Oct 8. I guess the point of all this is....am I sinking too much into a bike with that many miles? I don't think so, but others seem to think so. I would actually love to take this bike to it's limit in miles ridden, not sure how many that will be, but at the current pace I will be well over 200,000 at the end of the warranty period.
First off, kudos to you for your riding and mileage. I'd say look at it this way.....the great majority of guys that go full monty Traxxion on their Wings probably don't expect to put more than 50,000 miles on before they trade for a new bike. In your case I believe you'll double that, so you'll get more value from that Traxxion investment than most and on a bike you're truly happy with. Good luck on the next 100,000+!!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'd keep it, mileage means nothing to a Wing. Sounds like it's in good, if not great, condition. It's still under warranty.

I have an 08 too, wish I had the time to put the miles on it you have. I don't plan on trading it ever unless there is a STRONG reason to do so. Simple "mileage" is not one of them....

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you are going to trade it in, do it now. Don't change your mind in 3 months. Or put the money into the new bike and you will be good for many years to come.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
I would and did not keep a high mileage bike with over 100K. That is me. Everyone is different. You will not get your money out of it with this mileage with the Traxxion install. I would sell/trade and get a 2010 or 2012 and sink the $$$ into the Traxxion setup and enjoy the best tourer out there. Just what I would(and did)do

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The fact that you are asking for opinions leads me to suggest it's time for a new bike.
I would not trade! I would find a buyer for the old bike-take him to your dealer where you intend to get the new one. Have the dealer do paper work so it looks like the old bike is being traded in on the new one and resold at the trade-in value(your selling price) to your buyer. This saves you some sales tax and get you more for you bike than you would ever realize doing an actual trade in.
I would not do such an expensive mod on a bike w/those amount of miles, especially w/your comment of the end of warranty in March of 2012. Yes, that's still over 3 years but, that makes the cost of Traxxion seem even more expensive on a years of use basis. You will realize very little return on the cost of that mod when you try to sell a very high mileage bike.
Opinion based on many years of wheelin' and dealin':p in cars/trucks/motorcycles/water craft:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
easy call for me

I would do the improvement and keep riding. You're averaging over 40k per year. If you only kept it 2 more years, you will be over 200k at that rate. The value left in the bike now vs. it's value in 2 more yrs and miles will be a lot less difference than buying a 2012 and putting 80k on it in 2 years. I would expect that the net gain would be enough to buy 3 traxxion mega monties. For me, an easy call.

Richard

The only other consideration might be the affodability in 2 years. Probably offset by the potential for new developements in the wing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did you say 08 with 123K:bow: If you are still enjoying the bike keep it. Do you feel you need a change of pace? Another brand? model?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Why do you want to put traxxion on it now? Just replace the rear shock with a stocker, that might be done under warranty. Ride it for a couple more years and then sell it. I have read a lot of posts where the rear traxxion has to be rebuilt after 50,000 miles so you might be in for more expense with that shock. What type of warranty will they give you on their product.
If you decide to sell it now, sell it out right, if you get a dealer involved they will charge you to do the paper work, actually the only paper work you have to do is sign the title and turn in a release of liability. The new owner has to goo to the DMV and get it registered. You pay tax on the sale price of the new bike not the difference of the two. At least thats the way it is in Calif.

·
Administrator
3,776 Posts
Congratulations on enjoying yourself enough to have 123,000 miles on an '08.:congrats:

I've semi-considered the same thing you are wondering. I'll relate my thoughts, as you may be in somewhat the same situation.

I bought my '06 almost exactly 5 years ago and I have 120,000 miles on it. I will retire in about 3 months and will finally be able to ride more, so I expect to have over 200,000 miles on it when it runs out of the extended warranty in two years in September of 2013. I will be 67 years old at that time, so I too will be out of warranty.

One thought is to buy a new bike now that will be warrantied another 7 years which will probably put me through most of my riding years.

Another thought says to continue riding the '06, for it will probably last well past 300,000 miles.

I will probably ride the '06 until the wheels fall off. It has been absolutely trouble-free except for the loss of the final drive a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't expect to get any resale value out of a high-mileage bike, so it is worth more to me than it is to anybody else. Also, the new Goldwings don't have any improvements that mean much to me, so why trade?

Besides, like you I would like to take the bike to its' mileage limit, which I expect is north of 400,000 miles. I hope I have that many miles left in me!

Glen

·
Registered
419 Posts
The fact that you are asking for opinions leads me to suggest it's time for a new bike.
I would not trade! I would find a buyer for the old bike-take him to your dealer where you intend to get the new one. Have the dealer do paper work so it looks like the old bike is being traded in on the new one and resold at the trade-in value(your selling price) to your buyer. This saves you some sales tax and get you more for you bike than you would ever realize doing an actual trade in.
:rolleyes:
A sales tax scam? Really? What would Jesus do??...LOL. Turn from your evil ways, deputy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'd keep it and consider the fully Monty if you feel like it's needed. I REALLY like not having a payment AND knowing the history of my bike. Take the savings of not buying a new bike and go on a fabulous vacation!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Went through the same issue with my '06 with 58k. Decided 2,800 for the Full Monty was better then 12-14k for a new not much improved version. I did the Full Monty and even love the bike more. I decided not to get any new Wing until they have at least full bluetooth integration with cell, intercom, radio, nav etc.. I would just factor in the Full Monty when I bought. With my requirements I guess my current ride will be my last since Honda doesn't seem to have the same improvements in mind as many of us have on this forum.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You will take a beating on trade-in and it won't be easy to sell on the open market. The majority of the potential buyers will use high mileage as an excuse to beat you down on price...no matter what your price is.

I say keep it and do the mods. I did the Mega Monty (w/the trees) on my new to me '08 with 115K. Traxxion was one of the first areas I changed as the stock suspension was finished and in my opinion dangerous. With 3 years of warranty remaining I'm planning on keeping it till the wheels fall off or when Honda decides to do a meaningful redesign. Not worried about how high the miles get.

Do what YOU want and don't look back.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Keep the 08. Ride it like you stole it...o wait, you have already with that many miles on it... :)

Maintenance contract till 2015 will keep things new as if it is a new bike anyways "IF" anything under warranty is broke anyways....

I vote for spending the money on more gas.... :coffee1:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Prior to buying my first Goldwing in 2009 I rode V-twins and typically traded every two years which (for me) meant about 30K miles on the clock.

Here we have a debate about trading in a motorcycle with 123,000 miles vs. doing an expensive suspension upgrade. Amazing!

In the V-twin world it would have been traded off a long time ago. Just goes to show what great motorcycle we ride.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keep the bike and do the mods. You'll never get enough on trade value to really reduce the price of the bike you would be putting it towards anyway. If you have your heart set on a new bike, buy a new bike but keep the 08 until you can either sell it privately to someone who really knows you and how well you took care of it or just keep it as a backup, just in case. Regardless, why give let the dealer profit from your hard work? You took good care of it, he'll low ball you, sell it to someone else at a greatly increased profit and the only person who walks away truly happy is the dealer.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Keep it

I felt the same way when I had those many miles on my 2004 Wing. I decided to keep it and now I have 232K now heading towards 300K I hope eventually. My extended warranty expired in March of this year.

Trading in or buying another bike has more to do with emotion more than anything else. Good luck on your decision either way.

Donnie

1 - 20 of 62 Posts