GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is close to the time my brake pads need changing.

Is there a brand brake pads that are better than the ones Honda puts on???

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I think that the OEMs that come with the bike are more than sufficient in performing their duties. I was very pleased when I changed my bike's pads with the 40,000 miles they lasted, and I could've gotten a bit more out of them. Yes, I replaced them with the same ones. Our GL1800 has one of the best brakes anyone can wish for. Why change what Honda put on it at the factory?

It's your choice, there are a number of brake pads on the market in various compounds and various price range, but will you be happy with them, knowing how well the OEMs are?

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My Dealer suggested an off brand called EBC. Never again will I use that brand. They made all kinds of noise and IMHO did not stop as well as the OEM's Next brake change I will use HONDA pads.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You may not need to change the rear pads as often as the front. I usually go through two sets of front to one rear set.
From all I have read and heard previously, factory pads are the way to go.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
FACTORY, FACTORY, FACTORY.

Alot of times pads that are guaranteed for the life of the vehicle have enough junk in them they wear out the rotors........ but the pads will not wear out........I for one tried the cheaper lifetime guaranteed pads on my pickup and that was exactly what happpened...

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you only look at price, the Honda may appear more expensive but if you compare Honda pads to others, the Honda's are a lot thicker, they don't put off as much dust, they don't fade or heat up as quickly and they last a lot longer. To sum it up, Honda Pads are less expensive in the long run.

OEM is the only way to go with brakes!

Robert
2002 Yellow 1800
Captain, Gold Angels Drill Team

1 - 9 of 9 Posts