GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

Having had to just trash my second G704 with around 3000 miles on it I am ready for the darkside. I will go for the 195/55-16

I really am not interested in people's opinions on using a car tire, instant death with one, (my choice) or defying an act of god by despoiling the GL with a car tire.

Sooooo, with the minimal bickering from the ill-informed, could people with experience with car tires please tell me, what...

Brand

Model

Where to buy.

I live in AZ so snow and ice is not an issue. Good tire wear and low cost are. I also rarely go over 100mph, in fact I rarely get up to 100 mph so a V rating is not that important either.

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Dave,

Whereabouts in AZ do you live?

The V rating is good up to 149 MPH.
The H rating is good up to 130 MPH.

There are many other speed ratings, but the H is very common for an all season tire in that size (195/55x16).

The only thing that I would stay away from is a tire that doesn't have a reasonably symmetrical tread design. Those multi-purpose treads that are supposed to be good for varying conditions just scare me.

Other than that, yes, read the thread with the tire size in the title. There is a lot of information there. Some different tire brand/model discussions.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kandgo said:
Go to the tech section at this site and scroll down to the thread 198/55/16 car tire and read the whole chimichanga! I opted with the Toyo Proxes some opted for different, but my best advice is to read and search and read some more. Goodluck,,,Rick
Thanks Kandgo and RichardH. I did all of that before I posted almost an 1-1/2 hours reading but still could not find definitive tire models. The Toyo Proxes for instance come in 6 different models. They are all Proxes so I wanted to know which specifically.

https://www.tiresavings.com/toyo.php

I saw Dunlop sport FM901 and another Dunlop MP3 (I think) also a Nexen mentioned but nothing more on them.

I was after more specific information on the exact tire model.

Also a lot of the tires I have found in that size seem to be Winter tires and I am guessing a soft compound so short tire life.

Dave

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A little over 1000 miles so far and I am happy with my Nexen N2000 195/50-16 running at 36 PSI. I don't even notice the extra effort required for counter-steering anymore.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Take a look at this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... es&place=8
Or, how about this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... s&place=14

Have you found a place to mount and balance your tire?
Or, will you be doing it yourself?
Have you gone to a tire retailer to see what they have/can get?

I guess you live in central or southern AZ. If you lived in northern AZ (Flagstaff area) you might be more receptive to a winter tire.

I don't expect the winter tire to last very long. Probably as long or slightly longer than a MC tire. I'm sure that you want something that would do better than that.

Don't forget to replace that valve stem. Maybe a short straight one. Be sure to clean the inside of the wheel, especially in the area where the bead seats.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
richard h said:
Have you found a place to mount and balance your tire?

If you lived in northern AZ (Flagstaff area) you might be more receptive to a winter tire.
Thanks again guys, I think I will pass on the Eagle at $192 plus $21 shipping on special!!

I can fit it or I am sure our local tire shop will do it. Small town, everyone knows everyone. :)

I am in Northern AZ and do get snow and ice but I am a fair-weather rider. Always check the weather forecasts, although I quite enjoyed a couple of recent trips in very heavy rain. Wearing all the right clothes it was a snap with cages pulling over all over the place. I was happy at 80mph, admittedly on the 'stones.

Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kandgo said:
Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/55/16 87V
Thanks Rick, I had already printed out your page of instructions when reading that earlier discussion.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave

·
Registered
353 Posts
can you run a car tire on the front and rear?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I just put on a Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/55/16. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Wouldn't a model car tire be kinda small?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bash said:
I just put on a Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/55/16. We'll see.
I'd love to hear your report in a couple of hundred miles.

The old 704 I put back on still has about a 1000 left in it, about two weeks riding.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having good expierence with Toyo Proxes TR 1 . One or two up,trailer will go on as soon as ice melts. My 03 Wing at 50k. If you decide to walk on the Darkside, you may also decide to color outside the lines...also exciting hillbilly

·
Registered
222 Posts
FlyTheWing, I have been running a TOYO Proxes4 195/50/16 for 11,000 miles and it shows absolutely no sign of wear, try to make a M/C tire do this (not possible).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
tomfranken said:
littlejoe1227 said:
can you run a car tire on the front and rear?
Can't find anything to fit the front.
Then change out the wheel. I already told you how to do it in a previous thread.

·
Registered
762 Posts
OK folks I'm getting ready for the darkside. I like the Nexan 2000, just a couple of question to those in the know. I travel alot with a bunk house camper. Any problems towing a trailer any size limitation ie:195/50-55/16
trailer hitch going to be a problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I've got the Kury hitch and the Pirelli........no problem whatsoever using it.

Might necessitate dropping the wheel out from below rather than sliding it out the back, but that would be with a bike tire as well.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Top said:
OK folks I'm getting ready for the darkside. I like the Nexan 2000, just a couple of question to those in the know. I travel alot with a bunk house camper. Any problems towing a trailer any size limitation ie:195/50-55/16
trailer hitch going to be a problem.
Thanks
Kurry hitch and GY tire.

I have to remove the center plate and the bolts holding the Kury and mufflers to the frame. Then I can push the hitch pieces out of the way and take the tire out the rear with the bike on it's stock center stand. 'Not too bad. I can plug the tire with it on the bike so I shouldn't have to remove it more than every year or two.

The CT will be more stable pulling the trailer.

S

·
0 Posts
Personally I would not opt for a car tire that is narrower than the 195. I have not seen any winter radials smaller than 195 so that is what I am using.

At 2K - I am convinced it is an upgrade over what I used in the past. Very please with the grip, quiet and soft ride. Running 36psi which seems perfect as 32 was a bit mussy and anything over 38 defeats all the strong points of this setup and causes the tire to fight in the corners due to lose of sidewall flex. Keep in mind it is the sidwall flex that allows the tire to stay flat footed in the corners - like a basketball players ankle flexes so his tennis shoe stay flat in the turns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts