GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My reverse has been very intermittent lately , sometimes it works but not usually when I need it. Today I tried putting it in reverse at home in the garage and the reverse light started flashing and this time it’s flashing very fast . But this time no matter what I’ve tried the reverse light won’t stop flashing unless I turn the key to the off position. There are 47 pages in the shop manual about reverse but I don’t think it ever mentions flashing reverse light.
The starter is still original at 570,000 miles and seems to work perfect.
I’ve read some older threads about this issue so guess I will try switching some relays around to see if that changes anything.

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
The last one I repaired required a new reverse motor, but I would not leap to that. Prior to determining that, it also had a 5-prong and 4-prong relay switched. So be sure to follow the diagnosis GLblinded posted above. If needed, hopefully he'll post the 2nd page.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My reverse has been very intermittent lately , sometimes it works but not usually when I need it. Today I tried putting it in reverse at home in the garage and the reverse light started flashing and this time it’s flashing very fast . But this time no matter what I’ve tried the reverse light won’t stop flashing unless I turn the key to the off position. There are 47 pages in the shop manual about reverse but I don’t think it ever mentions flashing reverse light.
I’ve read some older threads about this issue so guess I will try switching some relays around to see if that changes anything.
Forget the light.................570,000 miles !?!?? YIKES !!! Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hope you figure it out... but of course your starter still works. It isn't used much since it must be running all the time! My guess would be a relay or sticky contact as it didn't just fail right away. That grease in the switches gets hard too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting the page that mentions the flashing reverse light, guess I missed it when reading my manual.
I have removed and cleaned all the reverse relays under the seat and put them back in the same places, that didn’t change anything the reverse light continued to flash very fast so I tried exchanging positions but so far nothing has changed.
I also cleaned the relays associated with cruise control, nothing changed, as far as I know the cruise control still works, the red light works.

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
The last one I repaired required a new reverse motor, but I would not leap to that. Prior to determining that, it also had a 5-prong and 4-prong relay switched. So be sure to follow the diagnosis GLblinded posted above. If needed, hopefully he'll post the 2nd page.
Here is more relay info. There are 3 ways to tell if the relays are in their correct locations.
  • use a schematic to tell
  • the double line in the pictures below indicate a 5-prong relay. Single lines are a 4-pnong
  • pull one out, if there are 5 connectors in the box, then a 5-prong. 4-prong ones have 4 connectors.
I cannot remember what the dotted lines mean. The last one I worked on had a fast flashing 'R' after the reverse on/off switch was pressed. The fast flash was caused by a mix up of 4 and 5-prong relays. Once the relays situation was corrected, I then had a slow flash with no rotation from the reverse cables.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Check this post.
blinking rev light
Check this link:

Reverse light flashing??? What it is.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Removed the ground wire above dipstick, cleaned and reinstalled but nothing changed.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Aside from a 4 or 5 prong difference, I notice that the relays marked with the dotted line are rated for 35 amps while the others are rated 20A/10A.
It would be wise to not mix those up if they are the same physical size.
(I don't remember if my '02 has 35A relays and am too lazy right now to go check. LOL)

I cannot remember what the dotted lines mean.

View attachment 384061

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks for the tip, I will be making sure the relays are installed where they belong.

I did just make a little discovery, when I went back out to the shop the red light on my Honda charger was flashing so I did a load test and the 5 year old Yuasa battery definitely tests low so hopefully that was the cause of the problem all the while ! I have another battery sitting on the bench but it’s also testing low, I hooked it to the charger but it’s looking like I will very likely be buying a new battery. I feel pretty foolish for not testing the battery a month ago when this trouble started.

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
I notice that the relays marked with the dotted line are rated for 35 amps while the others are rated 20A/10A.
Thank you :) I knew the dotted line had meaning. My bottom photo from above is from a 2003, I think, and it has not dotted line. The newer looking one with the dotted lines is from a 2016.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Ok thanks for the tip, I will be making sure the relays are installed where they belong.

I did just make a little discovery, when I went back out to the shop the red light on my Honda charger was flashing so I did a load test and the 5 year old Yuasa battery definitely tests low so hopefully that was the cause of the problem all the while ! I have another battery sitting on the bench but it’s also testing low, I hooked it to the charger but it’s looking like I will very likely be buying a new battery. I feel pretty foolish for not testing the battery a month ago when this trouble started.
Here’s hoping it’s going to be that simple for you.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well new battery didn’t seem to change anything other than MAYBE it starts a little quicker, still has the very fast flashing reverse light.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Removed front center fairing to try turning the reverse shift actuator to the neutral position with a 22mm wrench, it will move back and forth about 1/8 inch but doesn’t seem to have any effect on the fast flashing reverse light. Comparing another 2002 with a working reverse in my garage both actuators seem to be properly in neutral.
Any other ideas about what to try ?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
On a very long shot, how about the switch? So many other switches get sticky on these bikes. Maybe it’s in the switch? Just one more thing to eliminate when chasing the gremlins. It’s 2 cents worth again.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
On a very long shot, how about the switch? So many other switches get sticky on these bikes. Maybe it’s in the switch? Just one more thing to eliminate when chasing the gremlins. It’s 2 cents worth again.
so you mean the reverse switch on the right handlebar ? That does seem like a good possibility.
From reading other threads about this problem I get the impression some folks are riding around with a flashing reverse light, is that ok to do ?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
so you mean the reverse switch on the right handlebar ? That does seem like a good possibility.
From reading other threads about this problem I get the impression some folks are riding around with a flashing reverse light, is that ok to do ?
I am. yeah dumb, it’s the starter button too.

Looking at the schematic there seems to be contacts in there for reverse operation only.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts