GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
Sometimes doing things will make your symptom go away, only to return at another time when reverse is needed most. Therefore, unless someone has a shorter way to find out what is causing your issue, follow the diagnostic flow chart that was posted above.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Removed all fuses labeled for reverse 3 5amp and 1 15amp and even with all those fuses removed the reverse light continues to flash very fast.
I have it on a lift so tried running it through a few gears, everything but reverse seems to work fine and the reverse light keeps flashing even with all the reverse fuses removed.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Removed all fuses labeled for reverse 3 5amp and 1 15amp and even with all those fuses removed the reverse light continues to flash very fast.
I have it on a lift so tried running it through a few gears, everything but reverse seems to work fine and the reverse light keeps flashing even with all the reverse fuses removed.
In other words, nothing changes at all when the 4 fuses are removed?
Hmmm.... Carefully check to make sure every fuse is good. it's possible that just one open fuse could cause your problem.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ordered new switch cluster from local dealer today, only $4 more than from Partzilla

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
Ordered new switch cluster from local dealer today, only $4 more than from Partzilla
My dealer gives me best pricing and service, but if I was ordering online, you might try these guys.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
New switches came this afternoon, installed them and reverse is now working like it’s supposed to (y)
But I must have somehow got air in the front brake system so tomorrow I will probably be bleeding brakes, hopefully not to much trouble.
Also need to pickup some wire ties and maybe adjust cruise control, after that it should be ready to go.
Thanks everyone for all your help !

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
New switches came this afternoon, installed them and reverse is now working like it’s supposed to (y)
But I must have somehow got air in the front brake system so tomorrow I will probably be bleeding brakes, hopefully not to much trouble.
Also need to pickup some wire ties and maybe adjust cruise control, after that it should be ready to go.
Thanks everyone for all your help !
Maybe try, overnight, on it’s side stand, handlebars turned hard left, and pump the hand brake several times. Then do it again in the morning. You might get the air bubble up in the master to bleed out into the reservoir. It costs you nothing to try.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That’s exactly what I did overnight and things improved a lot .
Maybe try, overnight, on it’s side stand, handlebars turned hard left, and pump the hand brake several times. Then do it again in the morning. You might get the air bubble up in the master to bleed out into the reservoir. It costs you nothing to try.

·
IronMan
18,062 Posts
That’s exactly what I did overnight and things improved a lot .
[/QUNOW YOUR ELIGIBLE TO GET A JOB AS A HONDA "TECH" AT DEALERSHIP :) SOME OF THE LITTLE TRICKS WE LEARN GLAD YOUR READY TO ROLL

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well not quite not ready to roll yet , for some unknown reason the brake lights don’t work.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Tried using test light on all 4 wires that connect to the front brake switch but there doesn’t seem to be any power to any of them ? The pedal for the rear brakes doesn’t light up the brake lights either and I just noticed the turn signals no longer work ? The fuses all seem fine.

·
IronMan
18,062 Posts
KEEP US POSTED ON WHAT YOU FIND GROUND ?????

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
KEEP US POSTED ON WHAT YOU FIND GROUND ?????
I really don’t know what to try next but it’s so hot out in the garage right now that I’m probably not going to mess with it for a few days. Maybe I should try hooking up the old switches again to see if the turn signals and brake lights start working again ?

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well I hooked up the 4way flasher switch and the flashers seem to work perfectly but still no turn signals or brake lights.
Tried hooking up the old right handlebar switch cluster but still no turn signals or brake lights.
Anyone have any idea what I should try next ?

·
IronMan
18,062 Posts
CAN YOU TAKE HOT WIRE AND TRY SIGNALS ONE AT A TIME TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK THEN WORK BACKWORDS ? DO HAVE HAVE POWER AT LEFT SWITCH WHERE CONTROLS ARE

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
Well I hooked up the 4way flasher switch and the flashers seem to work perfectly but still no turn signals or brake lights.
Tried hooking up the old right handlebar switch cluster but still no turn signals or brake lights.
Anyone have any idea what I should try next ?
Does the horn work? If not, your horn/turn relay has died or the fuse for it is blown. This will kill the brake lights, the horn, and the turn signals. Sorry, for some reason I thought your battery swap had fixed you up a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
21,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well Thanks Techdude ! Yes I am an idiot The Horn-stop fuse was blown ! Replaced the fuse and everything seems to be working properly now. Took it for a ride to adjust the cruise control before putting all the plastic back on, didn’t take much adjusting and it seems to be working about perfect now.
Rode about 10 miles and stopped to try reverse and it worked perfect, tried it again a few miles later and got the slow flashing reverse light, tried it a few more times and kept getting the flashing reverse light so headed for home. Parked in front of garage and tried reverse got the flashing light again so took side cover off to see if the thing was moving, nope so shut bike of to listen for any noise and guess what the reverse thing would move in and out of reverse perfectly with engine not running. So re started engine and reverse worked perfectly, put on another 25 miles and tried the reverse a bunch more times and it worked perfect every time.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
Well Thanks Techdude ! Yes I am an idiot The Horn-stop fuse was blown ! Replaced the fuse and everything seems to be working properly now. Took it for a ride to adjust the cruise control before putting all the plastic back on, didn’t take much adjusting and it seems to be working about perfect now.
Rode about 10 miles and stopped to try reverse and it worked perfect, tried it again a few miles later and got the slow flashing reverse light, tried it a few more times and kept getting the flashing reverse light so headed for home. Parked in front of garage and tried reverse got the flashing light again so took side cover off to see if the thing was moving, nope so shut bike of to listen for any noise and guess what the reverse thing would move in and out of reverse perfectly with engine not running. So re started engine and reverse worked perfectly, put on another 25 miles and tried the reverse a bunch more times and it worked perfect every time.
Glad the lights are fixed, your reverse symptom may be a cable adjustment issue. If the cables are good, then you may have a switch going bad inside the reverse actuator.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts