GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what part of the engine makes the GL whine so much? Has anybody done something to reduce or eliminate that whine? I just put a set of TorqueMaster Daytonas on the bike, and they sound really nice, but the whine is louder than the freakin pipes!

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Normal engine/gearbox noise. Are you used to something with a louder exhaust that masks all the mechanical noise? Try switching to a high quality synthetic oil (I prefer Amsoil, your mileage may differ) this seems to help shifting and quiet some of the mechanical noise. If all else fails, you can always turn up the tunes :lol:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If I remember right I heard it was the alternater gears - straight cut VS helical cut.....The wing has straight cut gears I think....Now I may be wrong....It did happen once before...LOL

·
Chard Member
13,219 Posts
It's the alt drive. Some are fairly quiet, some are screamers. I had a '01 that was so loud you couldn't stand to let it idle in the garage or next to a wall. :?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Let's see... what causes the whine...

- "mother" Honda
- Wobbles
- Integrated NAV
- D-250s
- Wubbles
- Stock seats
- "mother" Honda's Gold Wing packaging
- "mother" Honda's Gold Wing colors
- Woobles
- "mother" Honda
- Speedometer error
- Wabbles

BTW, Red is correct.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
KCButch said:
William you forgot bad CRUSH WASHERS!
I'm sure I forgot a few things. I, like others, blame "mother" Honda! :evil:

:wink:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Red said:
It's the alt drive. Some are fairly quiet, some are screamers. I had a '01 that was so loud you couldn't stand to let it idle in the garage or next to a wall. :?
I think you are right.

I don't hear it above 60 or 65.

Idle? I only idle at a stop light! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts