GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be installing CB soon. Is there a channel the motorcycle majority are on?

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Locally here it is channel 1 for bikers. A stock OEM CB only goes about
1 1/2 mile.

I have the Honda CB. Performance is fair and price is too high.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with laen. The price is too high, range is very short but I also have one and Channel 1 seems to be the channel most used.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Depending on how much you spend on a Wing 16,000-24,000 for a new one I really enjoy the 650.00 -750,00 for the CB that I spent. It makes for great fun and communication while riding with others that have it. That way you can talk about the ones riding with you that do not have them :wink: :wink:

Depending on how much squelch you have to use to cut out the interference you do not want to hear, some of us have had as many as 2-4 miles of communication. We have checked this out when we split up to go our different routes home. Usually you are talking to someone who is in eyesight of you and these radios do quite well for that.

I rarely run channel 19 but around here it seems to be channel 7 or channel 2. I never have my CB on unless I am riding with someone else who has one.

I like mine but than again they are not for everybody. You have to make that decision.

Remember, when you are riding with them that have them and you don't you will wonder what are they saying about me :?: :wink: :wink:

Ross

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Channel 1 here too for the most part unless special circumstances with another rider.

Cost of the Goldwing CB is always being knocked and those of us that purchased a Honda integrated CB would of course loved to have paid less than we did, but I was still able to get a 15% discount on mine through a dealer so I was happy. Now, having used my CB in riding with other riders with (and without) a CB, it's been an incredible investment and I wouldn't be without one in my riding. It's is just invaluable in communicating with fellow riders when you are traveling and a royal pain in the *** if you have a rider or two in the group that doesn't have one. I still remember having to chase a fellow rider down a highway about 10 miles before I could get his attention that he was going down a wrong road and direction for where we were needing to go. The guy wouldn't hear of having a CB, but it sure did cause many inconveniences during that 4500 mile trip.

About that comment on the CB range being about 1 1/2 miles, that depends entirely upon the geography and surrounding conditions. I once did a radio check and followed with a long conversation with another truck driver. I was coming down from Sequoia National Park and it turned out the driver I was talking to was over 75 mles away on another freeway. Needless to say we were both rather surprised, especially the driver realizing that he was talking to a guy on a motorcycle so far away....

DaleC

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
riding alone i'm mostly on channel 19 where the general public is, that way i might get to hear about a speed trap or an accident, detour etc

riding with friends we often pick a different channel thats not being used as much by others, channel 1 seems to be popular with wingers

i agree that the CB costs way to much but have to say i think it works very well, if your not used to operating CB radios it does take some practice to understand how they work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts