GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any other way to connect a CB to a Wings audio system or do I have to pay $600 for one?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Not one that interfaces with the audio system and uses the handlebar controls. I went thru the same pains recently and finally coughed up the dough and put it in Sunday.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much did you have to cough?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I bought a cheap ($39.00) CB, mounted it on the left side of bike, Mounted a small speaker in the center of the bike. and made a Mic holder. Added a good 8 foot antenna on the back.... All total..... Less then 40 bucks, The store gave me the antenna for free LOL ... Works great !!!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Don Stefanik said:
You have a $20,000.00 Gold Wing ...
... with a car tire on the rear!

Tom is my hero! He would be a bigger hero if the rig was duck tape'd overtop the speedometer. I mean this in the most dignified and respectful manner!

Now to the point. I have built a device I have coined CBi, a microprocessor based device that plugs-n-plays with the CB control cable. Sniffs and reacts to the communication protocol and controls an FRS rig (or any of multiple kinds of rigs you can come up with). Although the parts cost is far less than $500, package, delivery, FCC approval and light manufacturing costs along with the expected sales volume place it overtop this amount. It remains a professionally designed hobby project as a result (I have applied for three patents on the design).

HAL's price is a deal if you demand integration. Tom's price is a deal if you demand to be cheap.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tom may not have the money to buy the proper unit. After seeing his profile I see he also builds and flies RC planes like I used to.

(I went on and built and flew a Challenger II Ultralight.)

He is also a Ham. I tried here in Canada back in the late 70's but they(DOC) made it so hard that very few managed to pass the test.

So being into RC and Ham Radio makes one a tinkerer and good for him.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Don Stefanik said:
He is also a Ham. I tried here in Canada back in the late 70's but they(DOC) made it so hard that very few managed to pass the test.
ObligatoryHiJack: The tests in Canada was, and is still is, far easier than the US. Uncluttered Regs with progressive rules that fostered experimentation, lower Morse code speeds and federal government support of antenna rights. Sorry that the requirements blocked you from the Hobby. Today, I'd bet you could do the exam in one sitting without breaking a sweat.

VE6MGS (Canada, Advanced), G0VE6MGS (UK) & AG4YD (US, Extra Class).

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I got mine during the "labor day sale" from HDL. Normally it's 599 + 119 or so for the antenna. It's pretty easy to install, and of course is intergrated to the wing controls, and audio system.

Might check ebay?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also mounted a radio shack CB on the left side like KA7W. However I hooked a five pin connector to it and plug it straight into my headset. I rarely have a passenger. I listen to the radio through external speakers on the bike and the cb in the headset.(It is not hooked to the bike system)
I am also using the mic in my headset. I put me a push to talk under the bike ptt so my hands don't come off the handlebars to talk. Factory antenae on the back. It works great. It is velcroed on so I can take it off when I want to. I can hear and talk to the other guys and probably have more range than they do. The end result is the same, we all can hear and talk to each other. If you didn't know you couldn't tell. Not all of us spent $20,000 on our bikes. I spent half that and it's not worth the $600 bucks to me when this works fine and meets my needs. Ride safe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Install CB on Gl1800--non factory unit

I have a 2002 GL1800 and have tried to install a small radio shack cb and antenna on my bike---unsuccesful. The bike has no metel on it and is plastic. You can't get a groundplane from the bike for a regular cb antenna, tried foil in trunk---mounting it to the side bars etc. Maybe if you have a Honda antenna it will work---but then I don't think it will plug into the radio shack cb---the end is different-----the cost is also high. Was going to velcro the small cb to the left front pocket lid and use the mike that came with it. I finally gave up trying to get it to work. I 'am sure the problem is in the antenna---somehow the honda antenna has its own groundplane and doesn't need grounding. J C Whitney also has a antenna available but the price is about the same as Hondas. Hal also has a antenna that will fit the bike but don't know if the end will fit the after market cb. and also may not be long enough to reach the front mounted cb. Hope someone has a answer how to make the after-market cb to work.

Thanks for any help---------Dick.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Connectors

I'm going from memory on this, as I have looked at doing the same thing.....

If I remember correctly, the Radio Shack hand held CB antenna is connected with a BNC connector (push in and give it a half-twist). Most dash-mount CBs connect to the antenna with the PL259 connector (big threaded connector with a central prong). There are adapters that will convert the BNC to the PL259.

I'd be interested in how this works out...............

Cloud9

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought an adaptor that connects from the factory antenae plug to the cb. Cost about 20 bucks and I got it from J&M or sierra electronics. Run it under the seat and out beside left pocket. If anyone knows how to post a picture I will send it to them. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
After Market CB for GL1800

I didn't want to use the handheld cb unit----I think its to big to be fumbling with on the bike, I wanted to just have the mike to deal with.
That would surely cure the problem of the antenna however.

Thanks for your reply,

Dick.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your replies, I will put all this info in my " think tank "

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I didn't want to pay $600 either and it works OK 1-2 miles range. Don't cheap out buy it from Hal the integrated controls make it bueno

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
24 Carat said:
You can get the CB radio here for $360.06 everyday!

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php?p ... ice=Submit

I saw that and couldn't believe it! :shock: I checked the stock # against HDL and it was the same. :D (Actually, HDL has a RM tacked on the end, but everything else matched up.)

$360 is just un _______ believeable! :shock: I have to consider this, for sure! :D The price is getting down to where I can actually think about it. :?

But, just how does he do it? Is it magic?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Richard,

I haven't looked at Hal's listing for the CB yet (bought mine during a Memorial Day sale almost two years ago now.)

However, RM at the end of a Honda part number used to mean remanufactured. Meaning that the unit was returned, repaired at put back out for sale (usually at a lower price.)

The only other time I saw the RM on Hal's site was for the radio unit itself. Normally something like $1,500... Remanufactured it was more like $500. Since he went to the new parts fiche it wasn't listed any longer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts