GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My wife and I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 maxi-scooter. In the next year or so, we hope to buy a leftover Wing and a small trailer (maybe the Piggy Backer) and do some traveling. So, we're looking for a riding group near Hickory/Gastonia/Charlotte. Any suggestions?

We went on one ride with a bunch of Goldwings and since we only went 70 mph on the back roads, they left us in the dust. On another weekend, we joined a mixed group for a ride and had a good time, but just road around for awhile and ended up at a noisy bar. So, we're not really looking for those kinds of groups, but I'm not sure what we ARE looking for.

I'm 53 and can't pass a bathroom without stopping. She also has her MC license. I plan to go to California Superbike School at VIR soon, but believe high speeds belong on the track. Due to some physical limits, I can't do crazy long 500 days, but I do enjoy good food and good company.

Please, let me know if you can recommend a MC club in my area. Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bike Club

Check out the Southern Crusiers Riding Club.
They have local chapters throughout the country. I've been riding with them for about three years, and have been a Road Captain for the last two years. We do not care what you ride. The rides vary from 150 -300 mile day rides to an assortment of touring trips.

As with any club, each chapter will reflect the interests and personalities of the locals.

I rode with a few groups before I found one that offered me a nice mix of folks and rides.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/SCRCVentura

You should be able to get to the national site from the above link. Find a local chapter and check them out.

Good luck.
bbc

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Also, depending on your religious preferences or bias, as it may be...consider joining a CMA chapter....they do local runs, long distance rides and don't normally frequent the bars...but love good food places.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Club

CruiseControl,

I have been on this board for awhile now and consider it to be the best. I am also a GWRRA member and belong to Chapter NC-L in Gastonia, NC. We have a great group of member/riders. There is usually some or many of the group riding somewhere every weekend and several during the week.

There are some on this board that have had bad experiences with the GWRRA and express their opinions very loudly. That is fine and if I did not enjoy the fun, friendship that I have had with this chapter, I would be looking elsewhere.

We have our monthly meeting at Jackson's Cafeteria, Akers Center Shopping Center, Gastonia, NC, the third Tuesday of each month. Tomorrow is the third Tuesday, 6/21/11. We eat at 6:00 pm and have the meeting at 7:00 pm. Come join us, look us over, ride with us, and you are more than welcome on the Bergman. Stay if you like or go if our style does not suit your style.

Try us you might like us! :agree:

Whatever you choose, ride safe and God Bless.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
http://cmausa.org/find_chapter/default.asp?regionID=0&stateURL=NC&chapterURL=

Find a chapter near you-scroll to the bottom of their page for officer/meeting info.
The CMA chapters are not "motorcycle clubs". We are dedicated to changing the world, one heart at a time, concentrating on the motorcycling community.
While our main propose is spreading the good news, we do have a lot of group rides for fellowship.
My chapter, weather permitting always has a chapter ride after our Saturday morning meetings with one or two over nighters during our riding season.
Check your local chapter out. You may find a home with lots of brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Join the "Club of One". That way you and your spouse will not have to be bothered with fitting in.

Easier, Safer, More Pleasurable!

Bulldog

·
Registered
142 Posts
"Club"

There is some rather interesting information on this thread. My wife and I have not joined a club yet, but are seriously considering the GWRRA and CBA. The challenge with both is there is not a local chapter in Goldsboro / Mt. Olive. But that will not stop us once we decide to join. I like the purpose and mission of CBA, and the national network of GWRRA. Either way, no matter where you go you have a friend, brother or sister nearby if you need them. And you never know, you might just be able to lend a hand to someone else in need. I really like that!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I'm a pretty sociable guy, but I don't do well in large groups of motorcycles trying to ride together. Usually turns into too many stops, too slow, don't feel safe with so many bikes, etc, etc. However, some other people seem to like bigger groups.
Just be careful if you decide to ride with larger groups!! I personally do not think it is very safe; but this can vary from group to group, I suppose.
I rode with one large group one time----NEVER again.
I usually ride with 1 to 3 other bikes; and mostly with just 1 other bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts