GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I good friend of mine is looking at a used touring bike and called me and ask:

"When selling/trading or buying a used touring cycle, what would you say decreases the dollar value of a used bike the most?" :biker:

Mileage, over all condition, age or all three?

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Looks to me like you answered your own question -> Congrats!!

Yep, that's right - all 3!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not being Yellow would definately decrease the value...
and the top speed. 8)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
Not being Yellow would definately decrease the value...
and the top speed. 8)

No sir, Titanium is the fastest.

:twisted:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
[quote="Yellow Streak":2qdorhyu]Not being Yellow would definately decrease the value...
and the top speed. 8)
Soooooooo How's a boy to buy a '07 yellow GL1800?????[/quote:2qdorhyu]

I have a plan .. Buy the 07 Silver and 100 cans of Honda Yellow touch up paint .. Or krylon Safety Yellow .. (depending on just how ******* ya are) :lol:

I think it'll work.. 8)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I would say the plastic being all faded or cracked would be my biggest indicator of a Wing living a hard life. It is likely that it spent most of its life living out in the open. That means all kinds of junk is in every crevis and corrosion of electrical components would be a good bet.

I would not be concerned with a Wing with mileage of 10,000 per year or upward of 100.000 miles after ten years of use if the body work is looking fairly spiffy. These things run over 150,000 with minimal work or problems.

I would also be suspecious of seeing poorly executed shade tree mechanic modifications. Don't get me wrong here. I have seen some real quality work done on some bikes. I am talking kludge jobs from someone with very limited mechanical talent. If they botch one mod, there are sure to be others hidden away. Conversly, if you see a high quality modification, it is likely that any others that you don't see are also well done.

Hope this helps. As a disclaimer, these are my opinions, they are free, and they are probably worth what you paid for them. :lol:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Biggest variable is market value.
It's worth what it's worth to the guy with the money.
I bought my '02 for $12,800 new. I've seen used ones for that or more.
Caveat emptor and all that.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
I would say the plastic being all faded or cracked would be my biggest indicator of a Wing living a hard life. It is likely that it spent most of its life living out in the open. That means all kinds of junk is in every crevis and corrosion of electrical components would be a good bet.

I would not be concerned with a Wing with mileage of 10,000 per year or upward of 100.000 miles after ten years of use if the body work is looking fairly spiffy. These things run over 150,000 with minimal work or problems.

I would also be suspecious of seeing poorly executed shade tree mechanic modifications. Don't get me wrong here. I have seen some real quality work done on some bikes. I am talking kludge jobs from someone with very limited mechanical talent. If they botch one mod, there are sure to be others hidden away. Conversly, if you see a high quality modification, it is likely that any others that you don't see are also well done.
Pretty good advice there dude... personally I pull the seat on a used bike and if there's an inch of dust/dirt/mud caked on the sub frame, or if the battery cables are corroded and there are taped wires, I will usually walk.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
I good friend of mine is looking at a used touring bike and called me and ask:

"When selling/trading or buying a used touring cycle, what would you say decreases the dollar value of a used bike the most?" :biker:

Mileage, over all condition, age or all three?
Cheers !

Seems as though you got it right the first time!!!! :idea:

·
Registered
133 Posts
A conversation with the seller and a few questions about his riding style, maintenance, storage conditions, reason he is selling all give clues about the condition of the vehicle. If you are at his home, check out his other vehicles, garage, home etc. The're all clues about how your potentially new vehicle was treated.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
even some 1500s have brought some high prices due to low miles

i think the track record of the bike has much to do with it as well

goldwings are quite proven over a long period

the thing that decreases the value for me, are crappy added on stuff, plastic chrome, airbrush murals and pin stripes are the main offenders

i see adds all the time, investred_____ and now a bike that hasnt any of the stuff is getting the bids and the plastic chrome mobile with the added paint is sitting there

be prepared to take a beating or keeping a highly personalized machine

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Sooooooo, what would a red Wing with only 201.556 miles on it be worth ?

Less than 30 places where paint is missing, You can still see through the windshield if you squint.

Just curios !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts