GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That's ALL they do for a state inspection in Texas?
Scott
Not normally. In the past they've checked all the lights and blinkers. I've also taken to other places where they will take the bike for a spin, I guess to check the brakes. Haven't been back to them.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing DCT Bagger
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great job everyone! This is exactly what I had in mind. I'm hoping everyone will enjoy this thread on a daily basis with no politics or arguing about this or that, just good positive light hearted sharing.

·
Registered
808 Posts
For Veterans Day, I rode in our local Veterans Day parade with my riding club (Redstone Riders - Huntsville, Al). We suffered through a couple hours of sprinkles before getting underway. There was a fairly good turnout both for folks in the parade and folks lining the roadways. The guys then decided on stopping at a local pizza parlor for lunch. All-in-all, a good day on the bike though not too many miles - maybe around 35 or so.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It was 75F a couple of days ago and really nice riding to run errands and take the long way home. It has been really good weather the last couple of weeks.
I am trying out a new G701 front tire after getting 2 bad BT46's.
G701 is smoooooooth.

Almost 2" of snow at 9am and 30F and not getting above 50F for 2 weeks is the forecast for now and then should be even colder.

Reactions: Jack2

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I received the Tailblazer that I had ordered for my bike yesterday, so when I went out this morning to do the install, which was very easy BTW, even reinstalling the seat was uneventfull, I noticed that there was fresh oil underneath my bike. I had recently done the 1st oil change and figured that I must have screwed something up. After a quick inspection I saw that the DCT filter cover was the culprit. I must have pinched the original O ring when I put it back while doing my service. When I pulled it apart I saw that my suspicion was correct. I called the local stealership and they had the fork seal O ring that Fred recommends, thanks Fred, in stock. After the install and minor clean up I went for a nice sunny but brisk 45 degree 3 hr. ride.

Another great day on 2 Wheels!

·
Registered
2018 tour
35 Posts
I just got my new to me 2018 m6 and as I tend to be destructively curious, decided to take a look at the battery. Pulled the cover off and found the battery strap was taped into place and the bolt that holds it was missing. Picked up a new ss bolt at the lumber store (the Honda bolt is eye wateringly expensive). Quick 10 minute job I thinks. But couldn't figure out how to get the seat off, even though I knew about the two bolts. But the seat still wouldn't budge and not knowing what else was holding it down, I decided not to force it. I've since read that it's held in place with tabs and grommets like the Tupperware?
Anyway, that made getting the bolt started a real bear, since the strap was bent a bit and the battery box did not line up with the threaded tab on the frame. Frustrating because it is easy to see if but with the seat on, really hard to line everything up.
Short story made long, finally got it together, and Mrs and I took an hour and a half ride.
Battery strap issues aside, man I really like this bike!
And I still don't know if the battery is original or a replacement. I'll need to tackle the seat again soon so I can see the labels on the battery. I can see a mx manual and Fred Harmon videos in my future.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Back in my tiny hometown you could get an inspection sticker on any car if you left a 6 pack of beer in the backseat when you took it to the inspection station….
It's the same thing EVERYWHERE. Yes, 100 % ............. if you know the 'right' people. I lived in NY for 60 years. I live in SC now. Crazy, but...............there are NO vehicle inspections required for anything !! Insurance, registration..............nothing !!!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,142 Posts
Well,
After being born and raised in CA, and living there for around 55+ years, then moving to AZ around 8 years ago, we've not been subjected to any real form of an annual vehicle inspection either. CA does have a smog inspection every couple of years. And I guess I should clarify stuff about AZ. We live in Mohave County and there is no inspection annual or other wise and, no smog checks either annually or, bi-annually or ever. But, there are areas like Phoenix that as I understand, have way different rules than what we in this part of the state have.
Scott

·
Registered
20,574 Posts
Texas law for motorcycle inspection requires HEAD LIGHT, TAIL LIGHT, LOW BEAM/HIGH BEAM, SEAT BRAKES & HORN.

BLINKERS ARE NOT REQUIRED ON MOTORCYCLE NOR IS A TEST RIDE

·
Registered
808 Posts
As an aside, I think I remember reading that Alabama law requires motorcycles to have two rear view mirrors. But, there is no annual inspection. It also seems that the LEO's generally overlook the mirror requirement. My son rode a Honda 750 for four years without ever having rear view mirrors on the bike. Well, Alabama also requires that you have your elephant on a leash when taking it for a walk, and heavens forbid if you are ever caught with an ice cream cone in your back pocket. States have some strange laws. As for what I did to or with my bike today - I lovingly looked at it parked in the garage dreaming of the next time I get out riding. I was just being lazy today (though it was fairly cold).

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Texas law for motorcycle inspection requires HEAD LIGHT, TAIL LIGHT, LOW BEAM/HIGH BEAM, SEAT BRAKES & HORN.

BLINKERS ARE NOT REQUIRED ON MOTORCYCLE NOR IS A TEST RIDE
Didn't know that about the blinkers, thanks. but he didn't check High Beam, horn or brakes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I spent most of the day installing my Heli Bar Horizon SST's on my 21 today. I really needed the bars to be higher and back further. My back was NOT liking the stock setup at all. My initial thoughts are, Great product, even better than expected but really bad video for install. Terrible lighting, camera angles and omissions. I was second guessing myself a lot of the time during the process. I guess I've been spoiled by so many great videos out there on Youtube. Maybe they should sponser a set to Fred H. and have him do a real quality install video. It was about 37 degrees here when I got everything finalized and put away so my maiden voyage will be tomorrow. So far everything feels fantastic. So, stay tuned for a progress report or two.

·
Registered
‘21 Tour DCT
139 Posts
I spent most of the day installing my Heli Bar Horizon SST's on my 21 today. I really needed the bars to be higher and back further. My back was NOT liking the stock setup at all. My initial thoughts are, Great product, even better than expected but really bad video for install. Terrible lighting, camera angles and omissions. I was second guessing myself a lot of the time during the process. I guess I've been spoiled by so many great videos out there on Youtube. Maybe they should sponser a set to Fred H. and have him do a real quality install video. It was about 37 degrees here when I got everything finalized and put away so my maiden voyage will be tomorrow. So far everything feels fantastic. So, stay tuned for a progress report or two.
You are in for a treat with those bars.(y)

Today I tested some new cold weather gear and got the bike out for an hour. Fun ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not in complete context of this thread, this is what I have accomplished over the last several days. I was finally successful in locating a Honda dealer that would sell me a 2023 Goldwing and more importantly give me close to what I wanted for a trade-in value on my 2018 BMW K1600GTL. What an ordeal in this regard and one that took a long time to finalize . So, I just took the BMW into the dealer as the down payment on the Goldwing however the Wing is not supposed to arrive until the end of February 2023. So for now I will be limited to riding my 1977 KZ-1000A1 and since we are in the middle of a relatively heavy snowfall and cold temps I won't have to worry about riding anything for awhile except a snow shovel. I eagerly anticipate the arrival of the Goldwing DCT Tour as it certainly looks like a fun motorcycle to ride. I hope all the fooling around to purchase one relatively close to me will be worth the effort and time. Come On Spring!

Rick H.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts