GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm going to get a Garmin 2720, I have an Ipod so what do I need and how do I hook them both up to the intercom system and so I can hear both through the headsets? Thanks

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Looks like I'm going to get a Garmin 2720, I have an Ipod so what do I need and how do I hook them both up to the intercom system and so I can hear both through the headsets? Thanks
Kenona2002,
Probably the easiest/cheapest way would be to get an A/B switch from Radio Shack and connect it to the aux input. Hook both to the switch then select which ever one you want to listen to. The downside is that with the 2720 you will only get GPS info, no music.

The next option is to buy one of the Kennedy cell sets (or similar). They will incorporate your MP3 and GPS into the audio system (I don't have one so I don't know the particulars).

My preferred solution would be to spend a few dollars more on the GPS (2730). It plays MP3s, audio books and magazines, etc . It comes with the GXM30 XM radio antenna for XM radio and weather/traffic info.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=297
I bought one on ebay for a "Buy-it-Now" price of $185 shipped. I saw another later that was $165. These are refirb units, but have a 1 yr Garmin warranty.

The difference in price of the 2720 and 2730 is probably still cheaper than buying one of the Kennedy cell sets or similar system.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Kenona2002,
Probably the easiest/cheapest way would be to get an A/B switch from Radio Shack and connect it to the aux input. Hook both to the switch then select which ever one you want to listen to. The downside is that with the 2720 you will only get GPS info, no music.

The next option is to buy one of the Kennedy cell sets (or similar). They will incorporate your MP3 and GPS into the audio system (I don't have one so I don't know the particulars).

My preferred solution would be to spend a few dollars more on the GPS (2730). It plays MP3s, audio books and magazines, etc . It comes with the GXM30 XM radio antenna for XM radio and weather/traffic info.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=297
I bought one on ebay for a "Buy-it-Now" price of $185 shipped. I saw another later that was $165. These are refirb units, but have a 1 yr Garmin warranty.

The difference in price of the 2720 and 2730 is probably still cheaper than buying one of the Kennedy cell sets or similar system.

Good Luck!
I thought that a 2720 didn't have an audio output connection.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The voice outputs are accessible through the power/audio connector on the back of the unit.

If you're using the cigarette-lighter power adapter, there is a speaker in it for the messages.

If you want an integrated solution, a Kennedy SingleSet system that provides a plug and play power/audio connection to the intercom system will set you back about $160.

If you try to connect the 2720 audio output to the AUX input, you'll need to add a ground loop isolator or all you'll get is a garbled hum when it speaks.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I thought that a 2720 didn't have an audio output connection.
In looking at the Garmin site the 2720 does not have an audio out jack. However the 2720 uses the same hardwire power cord as the 2610; the audio out jack is in the power cord. :thumbup:

The cord is available as part of the Garmin m/c mount kit:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1053

Garmin lists it for $50 but you can get it cheaper elsewhere; GPS Discount is one source ($10 cheaper):
http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?a=407

The cord is also avail separately, but costs nearly as much as the m/c kit. (Garmin/$34 GPS Discount/$27)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Just as an FYI, the power cable included in the part numbers listed above do not pass the audio output portion of the connector to the bare-wire end of the cable. They only feed the audio to the 2.5mm mono jack on the pigtail near the power connector.

To answer the original poster's question, the iPod will directly connect to the AUX input pigtail connection in the LH fairing pocket and this connection can be routed to either helmet or bike speakers.

If you want to add the GPS audio to either the intercom or the AUX input (in conjunction with your iPod), you will need some additional hardware, depending on whether you want the audio connected to the intercom system (only audible through your headset speakers and requires the intercom to be active anytime you want to hear the GPS) or to the AUX input (GPS audio won't be audible unless the AUX input is selected).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts