GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a new 2003 Gold Wing at a dealership here in Ga. and am about ready to put the money down, but first, If its new on the dealers floor does that mean all recalls have been done? How can I tell other than taking the salesmans word for it? Especially interested in ecm and frame recalls.

I test rode one Sat. and was very surprised. I though it would be hard to handle at parking lot speeds but it felt very balanced and planted.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a new 2003 wing in November. The dealer said that"he couldn't sell it if the frame needed to be welded". He also gave me a range of Vin # that were effected

·
Registered
289 Posts
Check Vin #'s
Elsewhere on this board you'll find Vin. #'s list for affected bikes.
Check no's on bike you are interested in. Most dealers are honest but you never know about some.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Unless your dealer is giving you a heck of a deal, why wouldn't you go for an '04? I shopped quite a bit back in September and found the difference to only be a couple hundred dollars! I went for the '04 ... plus a new color!

Doug

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If I was in the market today for a new "ride", I most certainly would go for an 04ABS" with one of the new colors. Having an 04 can't hurt at resale, and the 03 models have gotten a bad name, whether they deserve it or not.

Bulldog

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do I need to Know?

Yes ABS is a must, I have it now won't want to be without it!

I believe I will see what they will do on an '04, but if the vin# is out of the recall looks like the consensus is its o.k.?

·
Registered
287 Posts
You did'nt mention the colour. Hope its not YELLOW. Go for 04 if there is not much difference in the bucks,you will not regret it. :D :p :lol:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Also consider that the '04 has a few factory upgrades.
1. OEM Winshield vent.
2. OEM Illuminated controls.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what I need to know

I checked the price of the 04's and was surprized that the difference wasn't more. I though that now that the 04's were out that the left over 03's would a good buy, just goes to show it dosen't pay to assume things!

I sure did the right thing asking my question on this board. Thanks to everyone that offered advice.

No I am really not looking at the yellow, although it is begining to grow on me. I like the red, candy red, or candy black cherry, decisions, decisions. I may have to just let my wife decide the color.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Probably the smartest statement you made in deceiding to buy a new bike was "I may just have to let my wife deceide the color". Newguy you are wiser beyound your years. It will always be hard for her to say no when you say "HONEY LET'S TAKE YOUR BIKE FOR A RIDE"......

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Re: what I need to know

newguy said:
No I am really not looking at the yellow, although it is begining to grow on me. I like the red, candy red, or candy black cherry, decisions, decisions. I may have to just let my wife decide the color.
Well, it's a matter of taste, of course. For me, it would be no question, candy black cherry, because it's the closest thing to the classic Wineberry color. The '04 has some good upgrades, especially the illuminated controls. It also doesn't have the recall stigma of the '02s and '03s.

Good luck with your decision. You're gonna love your new bike. I'd be surprised if you don't end your first ride (well, your first 100 rides) with a big, stupid grin on your face.

John in Vegas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts