GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides mental help that is. :twisted:

I'm more of a commuter on my Wing and low miles at that. I've only put ~25,000 on it since I purchased it in 2004. :22yikes: That's only 3,500 miles a year!

I'm pretty happy with the handling of my OEM Bridgestones, but I'm getting tired of replacing tires. Was washing the bike today and noticed that the front tread is almost gone again. *SIGH* I've already replaced both fronts and backs twice so this will be the fourth set on the bike in 7 years @ ~8,000 miles/2 years per set.

So for various reasons I'm considering car tires. Might as well go dual dark side if I do it. However, there are a lot of opinions on here.

So here's what I'm looking for in no particular order:

1. Able to withstand high temperatures. Even though the bike is parked much of the summer, when it's 110+ outside, those slabs get very hot.
2. Good traction on hot pavement and in the rain

i.e., what I now get with my Stones

3. No rubbing on fenders or mods needed to run the CT
4. Doesn't throw off the speedo any worse than it is
5. Half the price of MTs would be wonderful
6. Double the tread life would be nice too

Most riding is done 1 up with me at ~250 though sometimes I pull a trailer and at times my wife rides with me. (She's normal - ~140)

So, oh great gurus of the dark side, what tires does your collective wisdom and experience recommend?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I would say the Michelin Primacy for the rear but #5 above disqualifies that tire! :22yikes:

I am still running the 709 on the front thinking about going with the BT45. I only get 8 or 9K out of the front. The CT has over 10k on it and looks like I will get 15k or better out of it.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
So here's what I'm looking for in no particular order:

1. Able to withstand high temperatures. Even though the bike is parked much of the summer, when it's 110+ outside, those slabs get very hot.Any tire
2. Good traction on hot pavement and in the rain Any

i.e., what I now get with my Stones

3. No rubbing on fenders or mods needed to run the CT195/55
4. Doesn't throw off the speedo any worse than it is195/55
5. Half the price of MTs would be wonderful [/B]watch sales[/B]
6. Double the tread life would be nice too will depend on your riding style and fire choice for your area.

Most riding is done 1 up with me at ~250 though sometimes I pull a trailer and at times my wife rides with me. (She's normal - ~140)

So, oh great gurus of the dark side, what tires does your collective wisdom and experience recommend?
Many people will give you " there tire choice " it's your deal . Find somebody on the board with a harder riding style than you and ask there help. If it works for them it will be work for you if you ride under there skill set.:thumbup: Pm's work better for honest opinions as some do not want the harassment that comes with posting :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've given up on the half the price of the MT. At least if I want to go RF.

Some Murgie's FAQ (which I just found and read) and posts on here, it looks like the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT XRP on the rear and the BT45 on the front look like a good combo for me. The Combo appears to run ~$260 + shipping which is only a slight savings off of HDL's $300 Bridgestone bundle that I normally buy.

Add in that I hope to get 16K+ miles out of a set that really does make the cost about half of the stones.

So I guess my only remaining question is that sizes should I get for the same clearance as stock?

(I need a new front very soon, the rear is newer due to a puncture and I need to get the fork seals replaced so might as well do it all at once.)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
You will want 195 55 16. When I switched to the Darkside I went with the Falken ZE 912 and got about 15,000 miles out of it. I was doing mostly the commute type of riding an should have run lower air pressure than the 44psi that it handles at the best for me in the twisties. I give you this information because I wore the center of the tread out while still having around 4/32s tread on the edges.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Rick,
I've been running the following::thumbup:
Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16 (KU31).
Bridgestone Battleax BT45 130/70H/18 (reversed)
I put on a few more miles than you do but I'm more than happy with both tires. I have around 5000 on my Kumho now and would not change back.
Ed

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have the kumho on the rear and 709 on the front. Have been toying with the idea of a bt45 for the front when the 709 wears out, but Ipersonally need to meet up with someone who is running the bt45 first to help me get off the fence. Do like the Kumho though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've tried the Kuhmo and the Primacy. The Kuhmo is a fine tire but I like the Primacy better

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The circumference of a 195/55R16 CT is VERY close to the same circumference as the OEM 185/60R16 MT. You'll see about the same variation from tire brand to tire brand so difference (if any) is negligible.

You shouldn't notice much if any difference on the speedo/odo going to a CT anymore than going from a warn out MT to a brand new MT.

Well, I've given up on the half the price of the MT. At least if I want to go RF.

Some Murgie's FAQ (which I just found and read) and posts on here, it looks like the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT XRP on the rear and the BT45 on the front look like a good combo for me. The Combo appears to run ~$260 + shipping which is only a slight savings off of HDL's $300 Bridgestone bundle that I normally buy.

Add in that I hope to get 16K+ miles out of a set that really does make the cost about half of the stones.

So I guess my only remaining question is that sizes should I get for the same clearance as stock?

(I need a new front very soon, the rear is newer due to a puncture and I need to get the fork seals replaced so might as well do it all at once.)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Rick, Were I you, I'd START with the Kuhmo Run-flat and the BattleAx. You probably won't get 16 large out of the Kuhmo, but with your style of riding, I'd say you'll get about 18,000 out of the Batt. Good-on-ya. Semper-fi MIke

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Rick, just a little something to chew on.

First, my number one preference is the Kumho ECSTA RF. However, it will not last twice as long as a moto tire, nor will the Pirelli [email protected] As a matter of fact, I have only read of two tires that would get you close to the mileage you want and that is the 205 Goodyear Triple Tread and the Vanco, BUT, you might have a rubbing issue with the Goodyear and the Vanco, as I understand it, is getting difficult to find. Price wise, I don't think you'll find any reputable tire for half the cost of a moto tire. Neither the Goodyear or the Vanco are run-flat tires.

I think a tire that might work good for you given what you have indicated would be the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 in 195/55-16 (running it at 34 psi). From my experience, it is not a good tire for someone who rides extremely hard. The Bridgestone is not a run-flat.

I have no personal experience with the Michelin PA3. Feel free to PM if you think I might be able to provide additional info. If you like I'll send you my phone #.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts