GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the J&M headsets,looking to purchase a couple of helments,and the headsets,just wondering what to look for. The helments I am looking topurchase is the KBC tourcom

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Pretty much any J&M headset is good as long as you install the speakers in the right place. Which is as close and opposite the ears as you can get. Some laws make installers put the speakers farther away from the ears and that make them worthless. Other than removing a bit of styrofoam in the ear area they are easy to install in most helmets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have J&M headsets installed in 3/4 HJC helments. I had to do a little trimming of styrofoam and play with the placement a bit, but they were easy to install. I find them to be an acceptable intercom speaker at any speed but the wind noise after 35 mph really interferes with the sound quality for music listening. This may be different in a full helmet or a different brand. Bottomline is I bought for the intercom and am happy with them.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Before you spend the money on the KBC Tourcom helmets, go to a dealer that sells them and wear them for about 15 minutes. I have several (part of the package when I got the bike) and they are the most uncomfortable helmets I have ever owned, especially the pad the touches your forehead.

The J&M speakers are fine. I got the standard headsets when I got the helmets, and they sound OK. When I got my Shoei Multitec helmet, I had the 584 Elites installed. They're much better, not to mention the helmet is the most comfortable I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
j & m

Helmet fit is important. Then installation of headset is even more so.

I have one of their better series installed in HJC symax. Very happy with easy installation (not cutting required). Very good sound.

J & M has excellent customer service.

Will definitely buy their product again.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Helmet FIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may save your LIFE!!!!Bad headset is just uncomfortable & will cause a headache........................BUY A HELMET THAT FITS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is more important than brand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....chuck

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Had the 584 Elites. IMO they are not worth the money. What's the deal with having to buy the lower cord seperately. Not much use without it. I have the Edsets now and definately worth the money....lower cords included!!

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the J&M headsets,looking to purchase a couple of helments,and the headsets,just wondering what to look for. The helments I am looking topurchase is the KBC tourcom
koolbreeze,
This is the J&M headset that I have, JM-HS-ECD584-OF-ELITE HEADSET OPEN FACE. I like them and have had no problems with them. Here is a link to a good place to purchase if you so desire.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=313

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Although I only have about 50 miles on my 584 Elites in a Nolan N102, I am very satisfied with them; sound is good. Then again, I did not pay full price either. I shopped our classifieds until the model I wanted popped up and bought them; paid less then half for everything and all is no more then a year old.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Before you spend the money on the KBC Tourcom helmets, go to a dealer that sells them and wear them for about 15 minutes. I have several (part of the package when I got the bike) and they are the most uncomfortable helmets I have ever owned, especially the pad the touches your forehead.
+1

I bought the KBC also and wore it at the dealer for about 15 minutes and I thought it fit great. The first time I wore it on a ride it started to really hurt the very top of my head after about 45 minutes. Thought it was just a fluke that day so I gave it another try on a different day and it did the same thing. Also, could not get our J&M speakers in it to fit comfortable. We took the helmet and speakers back to the dealer. I tried on an HJC and left it on in the store for over an hour while shopping to make sure it would be comfortable and I love it. I also opted for the EdSets instead of the J&M; much more comfortable and the sound quality is wonderful.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Karen

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
<...>just wondering what to look for. The helmets I am looking to purchase is the KBC tourcom
See the other comments about the helmet in particular; I don't think I tried one of those, actually.

One old, wise salesperson told me years ago to ignore the price tag on a helmet, buy the helmet that fits properly. Everything else beyond that is...well, just that, it doesn't matter.

Now, headsets. I've had my share of issues and solutions, again, it's what works well for you. I'm using J&M's inexpensive model; it's not bad, but then again, my comparison before this was wearing nothing. Will I go with them on my next purchase? I don't know; I'm local to J&M, so anything I need, I'm a short, crosstown ride to them to get it.

Luck to you on your search.

·
Registered
583 Posts

The J&M speakers are fine. I got the standard headsets when I got the helmets, and they sound OK. When I got my Shoei Multitec helmet, I had the 584 Elites installed. They're much better, not to mention the helmet is the most comfortable I have ever owned.
Ditto. Also have the Shoei Mutitec and agree it is the most comfortable I have ever owned. But you need to decide which helment is best for you. All heads are not created equal ;) and what is comfortable for one person, may be terrible for someone else. Try to find somewhere to put one on and walk around in it for at least 30 minutes. Many helmets feel good when you first put them on, but after a while they hurt like he**

·
Registered
341 Posts
I like my J & M's

I've had J & M's for 4 years now and like them just fine. I'm satisfied with the sound quality. My wife and I have Shoei full face helmets. For some strange reason my wife's head set had to be replaced last year and for another strange reason, we have to replace her lower cord at least once a year. It's always the same problem, I can't hear her. She can hear me, she can hear the radio/CB, but she can't talk. I don't see a real problem here, but she does, so the cord gets replaced, quickly. I suspect she twists the connection when connecting or disconnecting, even though I've told her many time not to do it. So she costs me a lower cord every year, she's worth it. I would buy J & M's again.:p

G

·
Ouch !

We have the sets that you install in the pockets of the helmets removeable neck curtains. At first they hurt after about an hour, but if ya suffer thru it, they will feel fine in a few days.. For MY application, I wish the speakers would have been "thinner"... ahh heck, I probably have the wrong ones anyway.. BUT they sound great !

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I also have the J&M 584 Elite headset on my '06. I discovered the quality of sound depends on the placement of the speakers in the helmet. I have a Nolan N102 Flip Face helmet. If I had mounted the headset speakers in the recommended location according to the instructions, the speakers would have been mostly behind both ears......at least it was that way for me. If you mount the speakers directly in-line with the ears and build up the mounting surface, making the speakers closer to your ear, the sound quality is exceptional. I learned that trick about 3 Gold Wing ago.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wifey and I both have the J&M Elite headsets installed in our Nolan helmets.

We like them...everything works just fine and dandy

When it is time to replace the helmets, we will upgrade to the latest/newest J&M sets

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Pretty much any J&M headset is good as long as you install the speakers in the right place. Which is as close and opposite the ears as you can get. Some laws make installers put the speakers farther away from the ears and that make them worthless. Other than removing a bit of styrofoam in the ear area they are easy to install in most helmets.
:thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Had the 584 Elites. IMO they are not worth the money. What's the deal with having to buy the lower cord seperately. Not much use without it. I have the Edsets now and definately worth the money....lower cords included!!
i had the exact different luck

the edsets were no better than my $60 used cheapo 6 year old j and m headsets

i tried the ed sets and returned them

i purcahsed a helmet with the j and m elites installed, and its waaaaay better

and the j and m doesnt have that cord flipping around like edsets do

1 - 19 of 19 Posts