GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....that they have for Wings? Actually, they just look like training wheels but the ads say they will help you have a little trike for much less cost.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I would have to be strapped for money to even try them. I've followed a Harley with one of those rigs and it was scary to watch. Might have been real stable but didn't look it. I'll probably go to a trike in a few years and won't even give them consideration.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We ride with a rider that has them.

Don't look safe once we leave the parking lot.

The seem to scrub off gas mileage.

We always stop for gas under 200 miles,even on the slab.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
.... Actually, they just look like training wheels but the ads say they will help you have a little trike for much less cost.
CC,

It all depends on exactly what you are talking about. The Insta-Trike ones and others that just slide under the back end and leave the rear wheel on, are NOT the best for handling. Hard to corner and you can find yourself with the rear drive wheel off the ground on really uneven road surfaces.

There are other much better alternatives. Once my hips or knees give out I'm going with these:

http://www.landingear.com/home.php

These are extremely well designed and very small compared to others on the market. Plus, you still get to ride a bike when you're moving and not a trike, so you get all the fun of leaning into corners and countersteering, etc.

They are not cheap, about $3k for the computer controlled version. A bit less for the unit without the computer, but not worth the difference in my mind, might as well get the automatic ones.

Yeah, I know, I sound like I sell the darn things, but I don't. I'm just a mechancial engineer who appreciates good design.

·
Registered
512 Posts
CC,

It all depends on exactly what you are talking about. The Insta-Trike ones and others that just slide under the back end and leave the rear wheel on, are NOT the best for handling. Hard to corner and you can find yourself with the rear drive wheel off the ground on really uneven road surfaces.

There are other much better alternatives. Once my hips or knees give out I'm going with these:

http://www.landingear.com/home.php

These are extremely well designed and very small compared to others on the market. Plus, you still get to ride a bike when you're moving and not a trike, so you get all the fun of leaning into corners and countersteering, etc.

They are not cheap, about $3k for the computer controlled version. A bit less for the unit without the computer, but not worth the difference in my mind, might as well get the automatic ones.

Yeah, I know, I sound like I sell the darn things, but I don't. I'm just a mechancial engineer who appreciates good design.

Do you happen to know if the original center stand remains in place and usable? I've been struggling lately with balancing the GL and have considered a trike but this may be a better solution.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If they will keep you riding, I'm all for them.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I will assume you are talking about the ones that look almost like "skate board" wheels and not the training wheels like InstaTrike and/or Voyager.
You need to ride a bike w/which system you are interested in.
It is really your decision and choice. We can give you our opinions but, you must pick the one that satisfies you.

If you can not afford a trike conversion and you need assistance to ride, by all means get some type of add-on.
I would suggest you try a TriggTrike before deciding on an add-on.
The steering on most of these add ons, that remain in contact w/the ground, is very difficult. A solution is a rake kit but, then you can not remove the add-on
If you can afford a trike conversion, I suggest you try the IRS ones, with Hannigan being my choice.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Do you happen to know if the original center stand remains in place and usable? I've been struggling lately with balancing the GL and have considered a trike but this may be a better solution.
Dave,

The original center stand is REPLACED by the landing gear hardware. Since the centerstand pivot can hold the entire bike up it makes sense that they decided to attach their landing gear at that point as well. Very strong.

If you look at their site, you can see a video of the bike operating with them on. You can also download a PDF file that shows the entire installation procedure, including the stand/wheel assembly, the computer, the speed sensor, and the hydraulic cylinder that lowers the wheels.

The only down side to losing your center stand is lack of ability to get the rear tire off of the ground for maintenance, etc. However, if you retract these landing gear with some 2x4s or something under them, you can get the back wheel off the ground for maintenance that way. Either that or put the front wheel in a wheel chock and jack the back end of the bike up.

When the time comes for me, I'm gonna get a set of these things, because I still want to ride a bike, not a trike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have had a Tow-Pac kit installed since the 1st mile on the bike. Now at 13K. In spite of my medical problems, I was able to install the Kit in a few hours. The rake kit was a few additional hours. Yes, I would rather have a trike which was my previous ride for 45K miles. But the cost is 3 times what I paid for the TP. Plus I can remove everything I added and have it back to completely stock in a few hours, then call the dealer to come and get it if I need Mother Honda Approved warranty (like transmission rebuild).
On a recent ride with 100 riders, mostly Harlies, up in the mountains of Colorado, I was able to keep up with them. They thought I was going to hold them up so they had me ride near the back. I can't corner as fast, but if I obey the posted speed limit I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
A friend of mine has this and going around even a mild corner must be done very slow.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
This is another option that I have seen operate in person, works very well according to the owner, and one still gets to ride a real two wheel motorcycle that leans..

http://trikealternatives.com/retractatrike/

I definitely like the idea of the larger tires and wheels over the "skateboard wheel", but don't know that either design is any better in actual use.

Biggest problem with the Trike Alternatives design is the overall width of the bike will be about 56", if I recall correctly. I would not be splitting lanes anymore here in Sunny Southern California with that amount of bike width... But then I wouldn't on a trike either.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Apples and Oranges.

Legup landing gear is used just for steadying the wing at stops and reversing and slow turns and taking off. They retract and then a person can ride the wing as a two wheeler. I have called and talked with the manufacter in Florida about these for my Dad. Dad will not go to a trike...yet. he still wants the lean and turn qualities of a two wheeler but would like extra stability at stops and backing up. At 80 his legs are not as strong as they use to be. We are planning on a ride to Oklahoma City to Trikes, Trailers and Accessories as they do install to Goldwings with the Leg-up landing gear and see one in actual operation.
Safetyfeatures has a aircraft type wheels that are larger and are used a little differently that others. Then there is the Voyager sytems and trikes.

·
Registered
718 Posts
One of the riders that is with us has the voyager kit and the first time he road i thought he was going over, i told him stop and i took it around the parking lot and couldn't get it to go over so as far as secure they are alright. I also looked under the bike and he only has about one inch clearence from the ground and it he goes over a curb it will high side, i am really concerned when he goes over railroad tracks also but he has put around 15000 miles on with the kit and it has never had a problem.
I would try and go to a trike if it were me though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts