GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my accessories installed professionaly by a person who does this day in and day out.

I want to purchase EC Driving lights, 12V Power outlet, Battery Monitor, Hondaline CB/Antenna... And I want all of these installed by a guy who works on Wings as his job.

I know if I do it myself I can save big bucks but what the heck! Those guys need to make a living too.

What's the best thing to do or do you guys know somebody between Los Angeles and San Diego ?

Thanks in advance guys...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Jim,

Like you, I'm getting ready to install all those goodies and more this weekend. Yes, I'd much rather have someone else do most of it - drilling into the fiberglass is not my idea of fun - but I really can't see spending so much money needlessly.

I self-installed the Hondaline CB in my GL1200 and GL1500 and they were no fun. Both were basically and all day events. So I had the dealer install the CB and spoiler for my 2003 GL1800. Charged me an arm and a leg. Then I found out how easy the CB install was for the GL1800, I was even more depressed. This weekend I'm installing the CB and antenna, spoiler, EC lights, Bushtec trailer hitch, Utopia backrest, and a bunch of other items on my 2004 GL1800 in the comfort of my own garage. And with the money I'm saving, I can buy more accessories from HDL!!

Good Luck,

Steve

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The only problem is there are few people who take pride, time and quality to do any job. Then the company refuse to support such attitudes, cuts into their bonuses. Lots of luck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Part of the fun for me is adding the goodies! I have a well tooled garage and I'm pretty mechanical so I do every thing myself. I love to scatter all the pieces across the floor & put em back together. I'm also a stickler for details (soldered wires, correct torque, etc.) and I get proud like a papa when it works just like it's supposed to. Follow the instructions, use the right tools, take your time and buy some more chrome with the savings.

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Get in touch with your local GWRRA chapter and see if there's someone who works on the chapter members bikes.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would check with the local cycle dealers and interview them on "wing experience"...the down side to this is you just really do not know if the install was done correctly or not....which is why I do my own, plus I enjoy the process too :D

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Here's some things to think about.

The dealer's mechanic will probably have to read the instructions just like you will.

Does the mechanic love your bike as much as you do. Who says he will give as much care during installation as you will.

Other than that, if you don't get just as much of a kick out of working on your bike as riding it, have the dealer do the work.

Larry

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not that I do not want to work on my bike but instead I am scared to screw something up since I'm not a crafty guy.
When God giving talent to the people I was on vacation I guess.
I do not want to damage my beauty or end up with an ugly looking installation of whatever....
That's why...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My 2 cents, I always install my own accessories, it helps me to learn about the bike, how the accessory is put together, I care about my bike, someone else might not care. I keep everything taken off the bike, that way I can put it back, I have all the paperwork, installers often throw it away, even the ones clearly labeled to go to the owner of the bike. After all that there is one more kicker, if you take it to a dealer, chances are they will have the minimum wage kid that does the flunky jobs do the installation, not a skilled mechanic.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Please look around and ask for advise on who to perform the work. The local chapter of GWRRA may be the place to start.

I try to do ALL of my own work. I have the talent to figure most things out.

an example of why I do all my own work and is off topic here......

I upgraded my Direct TV box to a new Tivo Direct TV box. Direct TV required their "professional " do the installation work....

As the tech was trying to figure out the problem with the phone line jack HE INSTALLED for the Tivo box.... he started pressing buttons on his hand held dialer / tester tool..... my DOOR BELL started ringing. He spliced into the wrong wires in my attic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Jim

Maybe you should check with Gary&Mikey in Lake forest. Gary is a pretty crafty guy, big garage and could probably use a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Hey Ho Jim Davis!

Clint Estwood's line says it best; "A man's gotta know his limitations." I just installed the CB, the very nice Sierra antenna, and rear speakers and calibrated the cruise control. I am doing the Utopia rest on the next rainly day. I did the highway pegs and fog lights and lambswoll seat covers. No problem for me; but then agian I can not tune a guitar and I certainly could not have created Garfield. We all have out talents and limittions. The best ideas I have seen suggested are to contact your local club or the talented fellw with the private garage. You may get to watch teh work and find it very enlightening. Then again, one of my old school chums runs a local shop and he has this big sign posed in his customer business area; " Labor - $50.00/hour. If you watch, $75.00/hour. If you worked on it first, $100.00/hour. If you help, $200.00/hour."

prs

ps Thanks for Garfiled!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Adding Safety Equipment

O. K. don't everyone jump me as I know there are those out there who are down on GWRRA chapters and other "Clubs" and after seeing some of the others on visits I can understand.

But, I am lucky to belong to one of the good ones. Once every couple months we schedule what we call a "Maintenance Day" where we gather at someone house and all help each other work on the bikes, changing fluids, setting SWR, and installing new safety equipment (chrome & lights). :D :lol: Sometime around noon we take a lunch break, inhale our fat pills and tell tall tails.

I find that being around a good group of individuals who have put 1K's of miles of wings lets me absorb a lot of useful information and learn neat tricks from the experts.

As someone has already said check with your local GWRRA chapter or other riders and you will find the best way to go.

T

·
0 Posts
I am on my fifth GoldWing, all from the same dealer. When I purchased my 03, I had them install highway boards, trailer hitch and wiring. The boards were installed upside down and on the wrong sides. The never did the trailer wiring. I installed everything else myself. Never have I taken my bike in there that it hasn't come back to me with something wrong. Now it's there for the frame recall. They are also installing new tires. Last time I got that done, I got it back with 70 lbs. of air in them. I'm scared to death. Unfortunately, it is the only dealer around.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to get together with Gary and take advantage of his expertise and craftmanship.
Thanks again all...

Ride safe,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey Jim,

I understand where you are coming from. I installed my highway boards but I had Honda install my fog lights and rear speakers. I had to take it back to them because one light wouldn't come on after a week or so. They fixed the problem with no questions asked and no extra charge.

It would be a good idea to start off small (pegs, boards or something like that) then as you gain confidence start doing other things to your bike yourself. I have a truck but I take it to my mechanic, yes I know how to change the oil and spark plugs but at times I just take it in. Same with my bike.

Keep this in mind, no matter who works on it you or the other guy, be sure that your safety is paramount. Be sure that the bike still rides as it did before the modification or service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts