GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I keep a spare key on the bike at all times. After checking that it worked, I "hid" it. I truly think ( and fervently hope ) very few could find it! I, on the other hand, could have it in my hands within 5 seconds of being within 5 feet of the bike.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sun Screen, Tylenol, Anti-Diarrhea pills, Tums, Napkins, Map Book, Cash, Change. Air pressure gage, some tools, zip lock with 1 each: socks, t-shirt, underwear, travel size tooth brush/paste.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
$10,000 cash, 50 caliber pistol, Firecrackers, moonshine, cassette tapes, vhs movie camera, shoe laces, jar of herring, some coconut, barbecue sauce and a hand grenade. Oh forgot the American Legion hat.

Oh, for real?...a lot of what has been mentioned above, along with wet wipes for emergency tree leaning. Multiple pairs of sunglasses, oh-oh, I’ve exposed my weakness. I am never satisfied with the color or vision from sunglasses and am a sucker for the newest concept/idea. I will also change socks mid-day on a long run so there are extras in the bike. Comfy. Oh, and water, funny how I end up at the end of a day of riding with multiple bottles of water in the trunk from fuel stops, that have been opened. ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
rain suit, Goldwing tool bag plus a few extras, flat tire repair kit, 1 pair extra gloves, microfiber towel and amonia-free cleaner, cap (head covering), tire pressure gauge, wet wipes, small flashlight, adjustable bungee cords, small knife, one roll toilet paper (think about it), toothbrush & paste, Nat'l Park senior pass,

·
Registered
446 Posts
I carry a first aid kit that I put together that includes wet wipes and I swap out the Tums and other such pills after a while in the saddlebag. I also carry a battery brick that has jumper cables, 12V socket, and a power cord; an air compressor; a tire repair kit; an extra hat, gloves, various rags/cloths; coated 6' cable and combination lock; extra 2032's; a set of metric Allen wrenches (usually have them with me); multi-tool; Kershawn Blur; a neck gaiter for when it's cold; spare change; and a USB connector that I can hook up to the battery though this is somewhat redundant with the battery brick; and, lastly an Apple Lightening cable for my iPhone. I use my Kershaw all the time as obviously a knife is very handy. I've only ever used the battery brick, compressor, and tire repair kit on other peoples bikes. I use the cable and lock to secure my helmet and jacket when I go into places/areas where I'm not sure of the surroundings. The med kit hasn't been used except on other folks that have had a slight issue - cuts, scrapes, etc, so I went though some alcohol wipes and a few band-aids. Might have given out a couple of Aleve a time or two.
And to think, I never made it to Boy Scouts when I was a kid, but I do like to be somewhat prepared.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I carry a first aid kit that I put together that includes wet wipes and I swap out the Tums and other such pills after a while in the saddlebag. I also carry a battery brick that has jumper cables, 12V socket, and a power cord; an air compressor; a tire repair kit; an extra hat, gloves, various rags/cloths; coated 6' cable and combination lock; extra 2032's; a set of metric Allen wrenches (usually have them with me); multi-tool; Kershawn Blur; a neck gaiter for when it's cold; spare change; and a USB connector that I can hook up to the battery though this is somewhat redundant with the battery brick; and, lastly an Apple Lightening cable for my iPhone. I use my Kershaw all the time as obviously a knife is very handy. I've only ever used the battery brick, compressor, and tire repair kit on other peoples bikes. I use the cable and lock to secure my helmet and jacket when I go into places/areas where I'm not sure of the surroundings. The med kit hasn't been used except on other folks that have had a slight issue - cuts, scrapes, etc, so I went though some alcohol wipes and a few band-aids. Might have given out a couple of Aleve a time or two.
And to think, I never made it to Boy Scouts when I was a kid, but I do like to be somewhat prepared.
I want to ride with you..... :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
My first "touring" bikes were Brit bikes with no saddlebags or even a windshield. I carried tools and spare parts. When a part broke, I didn't have the tool required. When I could use the tools I didn't have that part. Finally a headlight bulb went out and: "I've got that" . Unfortunately my spare bulb had already broken.

In 1978 I bought a new Goldwing and optioned it up with Windjammer fairing, Krauser saddlebags and trunk, Cyclesound / Panasonic stereo. Then I loaded the pouches, bags, trunk untill it couldn't hold another tissue.

A few years go by and I started taking things off it: First all the junk I never used was lost, stolen or lent. Next the stereo came off. I hated it. Sound was crappy and I found it distracting. Then the trunk came off. I cannot remember why but somehow, when moving, I lost it and never looked for it. The saddlebags were quick release and one day I released them. Finally the Windjammer fairing and windshield came off and I had my bike back again. In about 1985 I got a stuff sack from a sleeping bag, put some clothes in it and bungeed to the rear seat and rode about 300,000 km (not all at once). That bike was way too smooth so in 1995 I bought a new Shadow VT1100C2. The toolkit and owners guide are still in the side cover unopened.
So now I bought a new GL. No trunk model and am wondering what I should put in it. Hey … wheres that old stuff sack?

G.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No matter what bike I have owned, there have always been a few things that I keep with me all the time, just in case. With the Goldwing, its easy to let this list of things expand as the storage space is so extensive (I have a 2016 ABS model). But in truth, I find that most of what seems like essential things to carry have never, ever been used, and others have hardly ever been needed. So sometimes I think about leaving much of this stuff behind, but then I say to myself, why bother? Even with all of my normal stuff, I still have enough storage room for putting my helmet and jacket and gloves under lock and key when stopped for a meal or other reason. My normal list of items includes: rain suit, small tool bag, first aid kit, flat tire kit, some printed maps, 1 pair summer extra gloves, one pair winter extra gloves, a plastic bag with a wet micro fiber cloth for cleaning the windscreen and a dry one for drying it off, baseball cap, a bag of little items such as ear plugs, tire pressure gauge, Tylenol, a few band aids, pack of tissues, small flashlight, multi tool, small knife. What do you keep with you on the bike all the time?
Always keep a small zip bag with gold coins i save during the week. That way in an emergency i have enough for a full tank of fuel and a coffee. Spare gloves and wet weather gear. Phone charger.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
When I was getting ready for my trip to South America, I asked an acquaintance who had just returned, what he thought I "needed"? He took out his wallet and showed me his credit card ... so I snatched it and ran! No, no, I didn't do that, but I did get the message.

By the way, I have heard of first world problems and third world countries, but are there second world problems in second world countries. Things that make you go hmmmm?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'll admit that I have most of the stuff mentioned on me at all times and my lower bags are very full. On a day to day basis my trunk is stuff I take for a day (lunch, gym bag, etc).

No one mentioned something to clean a windshield, I use that often.

I even have a bike cover that I don't need at work since I park up on a loading dock under a roof and my wife's rain gear (we haven't ridden in the rain together for several months now).

I was considering starting a thread asking why I don't get the same gas mileage with our 2008 Airbag that we got ten years ago (67K miles ago). Actually maybe all this weight might be part of that loss of gas mileage?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tool Kit
Tire air compressor
Tire pressure gauge
Tire plug kit
Kit bag with Aleve, eye drops, visor and windshield cleaner, clean rag,
Insurance documents and registration

·
Registered
102 Posts
No matter what bike I have owned, there have always been a few things that I keep with me all the time, just in case. With the Goldwing, its easy to let this list of things expand as the storage space is so extensive (I have a 2016 ABS model). But in truth, I find that most of what seems like essential things to carry have never, ever been used, and others have hardly ever been needed. So sometimes I think about leaving much of this stuff behind, but then I say to myself, why bother? Even with all of my normal stuff, I still have enough storage room for putting my helmet and jacket and gloves under lock and key when stopped for a meal or other reason. My normal list of items includes: rain suit, small tool bag, first aid kit, flat tire kit, some printed maps, 1 pair summer extra gloves, one pair winter extra gloves, a plastic bag with a wet micro fiber cloth for cleaning the windscreen and a dry one for drying it off, baseball cap, a bag of little items such as ear plugs, tire pressure gauge, Tylenol, a few band aids, pack of tissues, small flashlight, multi tool, small knife. What do you keep with you on the bike all the time?
Only ONE baseball cap? One day I had, I think, 6 or 7 baseball caps in the trunk of my 2012 Wing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now that I traded up to a ‘19 DCT, time to start building my kit for she. All my bikes have their own tool kits, ram mounts, emergency Wal-Mart card (gas, food, clothing ect) and Honda cleaner/polish w/ microfiber rag.

For day to day riding, I move my tire repair kit (plugs, air compressor, tire gauge and gloves) from bike to bike.

For road trips, I add my overnight bags (1. Hotel/Campsite, 2. Bike security 3. Medical and 4. Electronic).

21 - 40 of 56 Posts