GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a biker today (does not ride a Honda product) tell me that if you need a airbag to be safe on a cycle, you should not ride at all.

His reasoning is your going to take more chances knowing you have a airbag model.

True or False

What say guys?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Tell him to wipe his mouth hes got bull$hit all over it. :p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
385 Posts
I totally do not agree with that reasoning. Crashing is never a good thing and I surely don't want to pay the money to repair, nor be without a bike a long time so I always drive the same.
With his reasoning do we really think that we drive faster and less safe because we have seat belts and air bags giving us a false sense of safety? Yes, there will be a small segment that might, but most are just happy to have that extra edge. I know that before airbags became standard in cages, I never wanted one just because of the extra cost. Now that they are basically standard and I don't have a choice, I am happier having them but it has not changed the way I drive..... I always have driven too fast :!:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Had a biker today (does not ride a Honda product) tell me that if you need a airbag to be safe on a cycle, you should not ride at all.

His reasoning is your going to take more chances knowing you have a airbag model.

What say guys?
:shock: What a tool part time riders LOL. :shock: Sounds to me the guy is full of $hit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like somone that worships at the feet of Willie G. :lol:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Red said:
It might just give someone a false sense of security, especially a newbie rider!
much the same way a big suv does

people know how large they are and try a lot of things they wouldnt with a car, or a less safe vehicle

we see it all the time during a snow storm

people run the suv vehicles and think they are bulletproof, then when they do wreck, its a dandy

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I guess that means if you have a airbag in your car your going to drive more reckless. As Bill Engvall would say "Here's Your Sign".

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sounds like a chief pilot I used to work for. The pilots wanted a Strike Finder Stormscope that would give an indication of distance and direction from the nose of the helicopter of lightning strikes. It helps you locate and avoid thunderstorms. He said we would use it so we could fly in weather we normally would not fly in. Actually, it would have been just the opposite.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I take more chances when I ride with a helmet than when I do not; despite all my best intentions to take the road seriously at all times.

I take more chances sober than when I am not ....

·
Registered
831 Posts
I recently went to a training session in limiting liability in my profession. The instructor broght up the fact the there were 60 serious traffic crashes per year involving motor cops that rode Harleys in LA County. They switched over to BMW with ABS and cut the rate in half the first year. Three years later they were back up to 60 because the Officers became more agressive riders due to the better equiptment. (Better handling bike)

I don't believe air bags will make anyone ride faster though because it doesnt change the handling characteristics of the bike. There are careful riders and there are reckless riders and an airbag wont change anything

·
Registered
657 Posts
Agree

Centerpunch, I think you have nailed it.
Dennis

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
Tell him to wipe his mouth hes got bull$hit all over it. :p :p :p :p :p
wimpyhonda,

You have to learn to let go and let us know how you really feel about what he said. :lol:

Ditto. I would have handed him a napkin. Then wait for him to ask why I gave him the napkin. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Geez, if I had an airbag on my bike, I would probably be even more careful because I am cheap and would not want to activate the (expensive) air bag. :lol:

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I have the Airbag on my Goldwing, I usually ride a lot safer, more cautious, because She doesn't like speed.

:duck:

salyzyn Posted:
I take more chances when I ride with a helmet than when I do not; despite all my best intentions to take the road seriously at all times.
This is true, I will not go over 100MPH if its one of those super Hot days that I am not wearing a helmet.
With a Helmet, I ride the posted 85 MPH plus.

The Airbag, would IMO be like they are in Cages, people will actually be a little more careful because of fear of deploying the bag.

But, People are different, some will take more chances just because of the bag, and some won't ... 8)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
EXACTLY! what "chances" are you going to take??? the air bag is suppose to keep you on the bike in the event of a HEAD ON impact?

Is this guy saying that when I get to an intersection I'm going to speed up, just because I have an air bag?????

I guess I'm not that smart, cause I don't get it?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
centerpunch said:
I don't believe air bags will make anyone ride faster though because it doesnt change the handling characteristics of the bike. There are careful riders and there are reckless riders and an airbag wont change anything
Agreed.

I would say that more of those who choose to spend the extra $$$ to get an airbag probably will fall into the "careful rider" category.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
An old argument whenever any new "safety" device is introduced. It used to be used to prove that not wearing a helmet was better than wearing one. It caused one to take unnecessary risks, it could break your neck, and many other things imagined. Other devices have suffered the same foolish conjectures. Safety equipment will help to keep you safe assuming are doing everything safely. Break the rules and the equipment may or may not help you.

Mesquite Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts