GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
His reasoning is your going to take more chances knowing you have a airbag model.
Hmmm, quaint notion, but I must say, with ABS, I have upped my aggression level when I get the urge to ride fast in the twisties.

Also last night in thundering rain and at 80-90mph, I felt quite secure with stopping distances because of the ABS.

Maybe something in what he says. BUT, I only get crazy about 5% of my total riding time. The bag probably would not add that much aggression overall, however I would not buy another tourer without ABS. Best bike-feature decision I ever made.

Dave

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well then, don't get ABS,I'll ride to close, Don't get a helment, I'll ride tooo fast, don't make the wobble go away I'll ride with my hands off the bars, don't wear protective clothing I' take the twisties unsafely, These all make about as much sense.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Question about air bag deployment-

I had a semi lose a tire cap a couple of months ago in front of me. There was no way to avoid impact with the cap (long story). Impacted at somewhere around 70 mph centered on the front wheel. The cap was curled in a circle at impact and wrapped around the fender, smacked squarely into the lower fairing and all the good stuff underneath.

Does anyone know if the bag would have deployed in this instance?

Just curious as I managed to roll through the situation without going down, was just a "thump". If deployment would be possible in this situation, I'm sure I would have gone down due to loss of control of the bike.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
vaguru said:

I had a semi lose a tire cap a couple of months ago in front of me. There was no way to avoid impact with the cap (long story). Impacted at somewhere around 70 mph centered on the front wheel. The cap was curled in a circle at impact and wrapped around the fender, smacked squarely into the lower fairing and all the good stuff underneath.

Just curious as I managed to roll through the situation without going down, was just a "thump". If deployment would be possible in this situation, I'm sure I would have gone down due to loss of control of the bike.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple months ago at around 85mph, the wing just went "bump bump" and kept going. It was dark out and I took my eye off the hwy for a millisecond to change radio station, when I looked back up...there it was a complete tire shred in a full circle on its side. There's alot to be said about riding a 900lb bike! I don't think my CBR(sold) would have faired as well. 2 days ago it happened again except this time I was in my Camry, a couple huge tire chunks hit my front end/bumper leaving a nice dent, I was thankful the bag didn't deploy. They really should make it illegal to use re-treads. I would have missed all the chunks if it were not for the fool in front of me swerving all over the hwy.

Steve

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
After reading the post about air bags... I would be willing to bet
first time someone gets killed riding a bike equipted with an air bag
some folks will say.. gosh I thought it was suppose to save a life..

cosmic

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree with wimpyhonda to a point. I agree if someone gets an airbag and feels safe on a motorcycle then he/she shouldn't ride at all. Not because he/she will take more chances but because this person is not smart enough to know you are never, as an absolute, safe on a motorcycle. It is a matter of degrees, wear a full face, proper protective riding gear, practice your skills, give yourself an exit at all times, get ABS, an airbag whatever and you have increased your level of safety but you are still not "safe".

Remember: Loud Pipes Save Lives and Airbags Kill People :22yikes:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Had a biker today (does not ride a Honda product) tell me that if you need a airbag to be safe on a cycle, you should not ride at all.

What say guys?
I think he is full of baloney and does not know all that much about what he is talking about. Now, by saying he is a biker does that mean he owns a bike and may get in a thousand miles or so every year, or does he actually get out there and ride a motorcycle some meaningful amount of distance. My guess is the former.

Granted an air bag isn't going to save a motorcyclist in every kind of accident, but I can think of at least two motorcycle fatalities here on the West Coast that occurred in just the last few weeks where the rider "may" have been saved with an air bag.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Had a biker today (does not ride a Honda product) tell me that if you need a airbag to be safe on a cycle, you should not ride at all.

His reasoning is your going to take more chances knowing you have a airbag model.

True or False

What say guys?
I have to admit that since they put seatbelts in airlplanes I do encourage the pilot to fly with reckless abandon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
vaguru said:

Don't think so. I think the front end has to crumple a bit for the sensors to release the bag.
Good question for one of our engineers.

Pat

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.