GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy a truck to tow my bike as my wife is no longer able to ride long distances.
Toyota builds different option packages for each region. I have found what I am looking for in the mountain region in Arizona and Colorado.

I made an offer on a 2011 that they have advertised as new and they accepted and as we were in the process of credit card deposit he calmly said "Oh by the way this truck has 2000 miles but it is new and has never been titled and still has a full warranty."

I asked if this was used as a demo and he said that an employee had bought the truck and his financing was not accepted.
Cost of the truck is about a thousand less than I can get a new one from another dealer.

Does this deal sound fishy to you.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
"new" as in never titled and "new" as in never driven are entirely 2 different things. There certainly could be cosmetic issues with paint and interior after a couple thousand miles. This would drive me nuts, may nor may not be an issue for you.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes, it may be "new" for DMV purposes because it was never titled, but in at least some states it would have to be sold as used, due to the mileage on the vehicle.

Are they giving you a good deal? Use the price finder on Motor Trends' web site to see what a truly new vehicle sells for in your area.

·
Registered
352 Posts
He waited until you were making your deposit to reveal the mileage, and is only taking $1K off the price?
I'd have flamed his disreputable butt and taken my business on down the road.
So No, it doesn't sound like a good deal and also fails the smell test, IMHO.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Technically they did sell the truck even though it wasn't titled yet (to the Employee) I can't believe he'd drive it for 2,000 miles before his financing fell through? Something stinks here.

Would you be able to drive 2,000 miles while they checked out your credit??

Now if they sold it to an employee at a employee's discount,(what ever that was),and you still want the truck.them you should get it at what he was offerd it for plus that $1,000 discount off that price.

New is new ( 0 miles). you can't put miles on a vehicle unless it was used!

Make them an offer and see if they go for it?.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Legal perhaps. Kosher? No.

This is not the kind of business I would feel comfortable dealing with, assuming we are privy to your whole story...

·
Registered
267 Posts
U could tell him to stick it where the sun does not shine.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am trying to buy a truck to tow my bike as my wife is no longer able to ride long distances.
Toyota builds different option packages for each region. I have found what I am looking for in the mountain region in Arizona and Colorado.

I made an offer on a 2011 that they have advertised as new and they accepted and as we were in the process of credit card deposit he calmly said "Oh by the way this truck has 2000 miles but it is new and has never been titled and still has a full warranty."

I asked if this was used as a demo and he said that an employee had bought the truck and his financing was not accepted.
Cost of the truck is about a thousand less than I can get a new one from another dealer.

Does this deal sound fishy to you.
Just a little! Aside from the fact that they didn't play straight with you, a thousand less for a vehicle that isn't brand new isn't much of a deal. It's a little like riding - when you bump up against the limits of your comfort level, it is probably time to back off.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would tell them I was going to walk away from it, and see how much they are willing to drop in price at that point. They are going to have a difficult time selling it as new with 2,000 on it and they know it. If I was going to buy a new truck then a grand less would not be enough to persuade me to buy a used one. Just another thought. Does the mileage on a new vehicle get turned over to the insurance company and if so will they cover the replacement cost of a new vehicle or the value of a used one:shrug:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ask them straight up what they would give YOU if you drove the same truck in with the same mileage on it. Other than a test drive, once it goes off the lot (employee or not) and has 2000 miles on it, it IS used and that is exactly what they would tell you if you drove in.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Just a slight twist a little off the main topic but why a truck??

I have a Toyota Venza with a hitch and tow my wing with an open trailer behind it, no problem. Last time I towed it to Wichita Kansas from New York and got 22 MPG. Just letting you know, you don't need a truck to tow a wing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
there are 2 issues here.

the first is cost. We all know that the minute you drive a car off the lot it is "used" and the price drops substantially. If they are selling the vehicle with only $1000 off the new car price, then that's not the true value.

the second is honesty. They were dishonest in their representation of the vehicle until they had to disclose the facts as law dictates. What else haven't they been honest about?

Personally I wouldn't use this as a bargaining tool to get a better price. There's a principle involved and I may be old fashioned, but I would make it clear to them that I don't appreciate their lying (yes lying), that I don't do business like this and I'd walk away.

best of luck in whatever you do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts