GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an 03-05 ABS low mileage wing for months. If I find one it seems I'm always 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in line and I don't get it, or they are way over priced and on either coast, I'm in MN. So should I forget the ABS, there seems to be more to choose from with non-ABS. I've got an 05 non available for sale locally now with 26K and the usual add ons for $13,000.00. We're still 2 1/2 months away from riding season:-(, but I'm going crazy without a bike in the garage. Should I buy or keep looking for the ABS?? I know it's up to me, but I got to talk to some one about it. Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
IMHO, hold out for what you really want. Otherwise, you'll usually wish you had.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Just depends on how badly you want this feature on your bike. I have ABS, but my wife doesn't. I don't have it on the CBR. My Ford Excursion and Ranger both have ABS.

The cars just came with the feature.... the bike was optional. Wife's bike was used, didn't have ABS... she's never had this on a bike, so it did not matter to her. I bought a new bike, she insisted I get ABS because of "the way that you ride...":shock:

I doubt she physically has the strength to engage the ABS on the bike, she might, but she's never tried my bike in a panic stop. She can't engage the ABS on the Excursion (her truck) even when she's tried practicing it on wet streets. She can't push the pedal hard enough... I realize she may if and when the time actually comes, but she has been unable to practice it.

It's all a matter how important the safety feature is to you. If you don't get it, it's just a matter of properly training yourself to brake the bike without ABS. I have to make that effort when going from the GW to the CBR... pull max on the GW front brake as hard as you can no matter what and the ABS works for you. Do that on the CBR and you'll find out what an ejection seat feels like. YOU have to manage the braking on the CBR...

ABS is an advantage, but some do not like it. I would weigh how badly you want it. If it is one of the top three features you want on the bike, expect to pay extra to get it...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Decide what you really NEED not want (if you need ABS then hold out). Then buy that and don't second guess yourself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can ship from either coast...

If you find the right bike some distance from home, you can have it shipped almost any where for well under $1K. Google "fun transport" for one shipper and a quick estimate.
I would hold out for what I want. There will be a lot of bikes come up for sale before your riding season starts!
(I am having the same problem...)
Good luck!
Don

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I would hold out for the ABS. I like it. As for "being a day late and a dollar short". You will have to do what General Nathan B. Forrest said and "get there first with the most" if you want to win the battle.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have had 6 Goldwings over the years and had one that was equiped with ABS. I don't really see the need for it unless you are a very aggressive rider. I also try not to get in over my skill limits. I ride like I have all day to get there. Being in a hurry and forgeting your limits can lead to nothing more than disaster.

You can learn how is the proper way to brake getting the most brake when you need it, without sliding the tires and losing traction. It takes practice. Knowing what will happen when you lock the brakes up and knowing how to stop the locking process when it does happen. Is all about riding in the proper manner.

Again, as stated above. It is all about what you "think" you will feel comfortable with.

Ride safe & Ride often!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The first Wing I bought was a 1500 Aspencade, great bike, I kept it for 15 years. The difference between the Aspencade and the SE wern't that great but some things could not be added later. I always wished I had bought the SE. When I bought my 1800 I got the Airbag model because I wasn't going to be in the same boat again. I have never had to use either the bag or the ABS but they are there if I ever need them. As an MSF coach I practice hard braking frequently and I think my skills are pretty good. The only time I have ever used the ABS was in practice :eek:4:to see how hard I would have to brake before it would kick in. I hope I never need it, but if I make a mistake it could save my rear end:bow:. Hold out for the ABS.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, the search continues for ABS.

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is where I was also, and I am glad I went with the airbag model

Good luck in your search, the right bike will come along

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have had both and I don't think ABS is worth the extra money

1 - 14 of 14 Posts