GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old friend, Hilmer Merz, and I are part of the TTT upcoming Ride to the Mountains.

We first pulled trailers together to the Rocky Mountains in 1959. Lots of history since then. For one thing, Ariel Square Fours are not even in most rider's vocabulary now days.

There were no smooth interstates then either. The state highways in Colorado were often gravel roads. The Narrow gage was ending its run from Alamosa to Silverton. There were still three-Rail tracks in Alamosa.

The large earthquake near Yellowstone Park occurred while we were in Rocky Mountain National Park that year.

·
Registered
633 Posts
;) Pulling out a few memories from the memory-bank this morning.....huh Tom. I do that often and they only get better as time goes by. Nothing like a living history book.:bow:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, when I moved into the digital age, I never went back to recover the thousands of slides from my old Argos C3 camera from those days. Saving that for when I get too old to ride.

Above, My wife and I, Hilmer (in the bright shirt) and his wife, and John Neal and his wife and many of our kids, all traveled to the Guadalupe River for a swim and Picnic, about 50 miles away. Three motorcycles and two trailers. The car is not part of our party. The kids all rode in the trailers back then.

The little girl sitting nearest the camera is my daughter Margie.

The photo below is her grand daughter. That should give an idea of the time span. The Square Fours are 1958, (mine) and 1959, (Hilmer's) and I am not sure of the BSA year model.
Margie was a 1959 model. Emilie is a 2007 model.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Our kids regularly remind us of and thank us for the trips we took them on, both on the motorcycle and in the cage. Thanks for sharing yours.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
the good old days!!! :thumbup:

pulling Aluma trailers ?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would guess the people building Aluma trailers were not born yet then.

My first camping trailer design in 1957.

Second camping trailer design in 1963 on top of Mt. Evans with Hilmer and our wives. 14,110 feet up and 600 cc Beemers. The curio shop was still in business up there before it burned down.

Notice the 49 ford and 58 chevy. The asked what kind of gas we were burning because we were a half hour ahead of them by the time we got to the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts