GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get calls, visits, or vids sent to me all the time regarding Alternator Drive Gear (ADG) noise. In most cases I tell them their noise is normal. I've also listen to so many, that I'm able to rate their noise on a scale of 1-10. Often they are surprised to find out theirs is only a 3.

However many seem confused on what normal means. So below I'm explaining normal in 2 different ways. Many understand the 2nd way better then the 1st.

1-Normal ... it's been that way since day 1, and the noise will be the same in say 80,000 miles. In other words, generally speaking the noise has not changed and not gonna change.

2-Normal ... if you wanted your ADG replaced, and let's say that cost you $3,000, and because your noise falls into the "normal" range, that also means that there is no way that I can guarantee that a new ADG will be louder or quieter. Assuming all goes normal with your repair, your new noise will also be in the normal range, and its loudness might go from a 3 to an 8.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I get calls, visits, or vids sent to me all the time regarding Alternator Drive Gear (ADG) noise. In most cases I tell them their noise is normal. I've also listen to so many, that I'm able to rate their noise on a scale of 1-10. Often they are surprised to find out theirs is only a 3.

However many seem confused on what normal means.
If you have the time, Greg, would you back up and say more about this ADG? Where do I listen for it as I walk around the bike...left, right, toward front, rear of engine by oil dipstick? Is the ADG noise indicative of pending alternator failure? You say it is a normal sound, so when my bike is idling in neutral what do I listen for: High pitched whining? Low rumble? I mean, how would you describe this sound?

Obviously I have no idea what ADG noise is, why it is a "thing" or even why should I care. If you or others would elaborate that would be appreciated for future reference. 😬

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the time, Greg, would you back up and say more about this ADG? Where do I listen for it as I walk around the bike...left, right, toward front, rear of engine by oil dipstick? Is the ADG noise indicative of pending alternator failure? You say it is a normal sound, so when my bike is idling in neutral what do I listen for: High pitched whining? Low rumble? I mean, how would you describe this sound?

Obviously I have no idea what ADG noise is, why it is a "thing" or even why should I care. If you or others would elaborate that would be appreciated for future reference. 😬
If you have a smart phone, send me a PM, and I will send a vid of one recorded earlier today. On a 1-10 scale, this one would probably be a 3.5, and is very normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts