GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get more used to my new 06 I am now wondering what drags first when being frisky and what are the consequences? Technology wise.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Outside edge of your shoe and then the footpeg, next thing to drag after that you better back off or slide your butt over.

·
Registered
95 Posts
bikes are generally designed such that the foot pegs touch first. usually the outside edge of your foot will touch first. depending on road conditions and various other factors, though, other things may touch first. personally, when your pegs are scraping it's time to ease up. wanna get more aggressive? ride a different bike. see? by buying sportier bike you're addressing a major safety concern. :)

i don't ride too agressively on the wing in the twisties. i ride the gs or vstrom sans saddlebags when i really wanna get after it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Pegs, lower front cowling, exhaust covers & engine guards. Pretty much in that order. There are also a few light scrathes on my center stand left side.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Well I can tell you...
Your foot will drag, then your pegs, if you have horizontal mounted highway pegs they will drag and catch. At that point you will flip your bike and you will be dragged in to a waiting ambulance.
If you don't have horizontal pegs the engine guards will drag and the rear guards will drag next. However if your over that far you no longer will have traction to the front wheel and your GL has just become a sled. Now your knees will drag followed by your elbows and hips. If you’re lucky the bike and you are now separated and road is slowing you down. Friction does that you know. Depending on your speed the body armor is now exposed and your riding gear is ready for rejection at the Good Will. Did I mention your bike is now over on its side and about two thousand dollars worth of plastic and metal is dragging on the road; making for on hell of a spark and grinding noise. You won't be able to appreciate this since your helmet is bouncing along the pavement and all you can hear is breaks screeching and the screams coming from the on coming car..........

Don't ask me how I know this.......

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Pegs first ,

edge of boot too , depending on how big your foot is .

then my Tulsa hot foot shields drag next.

Just leaning your body into the turn with yer butt still on the seat greatly alters how the 1800 moves through the turn.

A fun couch rocket bike for sure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
Pegs, lower front cowling, exhaust covers & engine guards. Pretty much in that order. There are also a few light scrathes on my center stand left side.
Add Torque Master Daytonas between the exhaust covers and engine guards. :oops:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
finleypj said:
Well I can tell you...
Your foot will drag, then your pegs, if you have horizontal mounted highway pegs they will drag and catch. At that point you will flip your bike and you will be dragged in to a waiting ambulance.
If you don't have horizontal pegs the engine guards will drag and the rear guards will drag next. However if your over that far you no longer will have traction to the front wheel and your GL has just become a sled. Now your knees will drag followed by your elbows and hips. If you’re lucky the bike and you are now separated and road is slowing you down. Friction does that you know. Depending on your speed the body armor is now exposed and your riding gear is ready for rejection at the Good Will. Did I mention your bike is now over on its side and about two thousand dollars worth of plastic and metal is dragging on the road; making for on hell of a spark and grinding noise. You won't be able to appreciate this since your helmet is bouncing along the pavement and all you can hear is breaks screeching and the screams coming from the on coming car..........

Don't ask me how I know this.......
:shock: :eek:4:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I personally use the boots. When my boot touches the pavement that is enough for me, I ease up if I can. I like my wing and my hide.

·
Registered
179 Posts
WHAT KRUSE SAID . Pegs, lower front cowling, exhaust covers & engine guards.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank Yous

Sounds about like I thought, boot edges than pegs. Thought I should find out the easy way first, it sure is flickable for its size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts