GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 GL1800, it had 28K on it two years ago when I got it, have now added 40K more miles. I have done all the normal maintenance..Fluids, brake recall, brake pads, etc...but in looking at records of previous, realize that neither I nor them have had valves checked.

I have an appointment with my dealer (Good guy in the service shop) for next week to have valves checked / adjusted at a reasonable price.

Is there anything else in that area which would be a good thing to check / adjust / replace at same time since they're in there anyway?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If they're adjusting the valves, the spark plugs have to come out.
That's as good a time as any to install new spark plugs.
The labor cost should be zero $.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the plugs a few thousand miles ago....Air filter is not quite due...did not realize that it is "in the neighborhood" of the valve adjustment..will ask the shop about potential savings on that .. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Let the mechanic know what you know about the bike, and ask him if you are missing something else besides the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Did the plugs a few thousand miles ago....Air filter is not quite due...did not realize that it is "in the neighborhood" of the valve adjustment..will ask the shop about potential savings on that .. Thanks!
Adjusting the valves requires removal of the lower covers below the cylinder heads and then the valve covers themselves.
Changing the air filter involves removal of all top shelters and then numerous parts under the shelters.
No commonality between the 2 jobs unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It seems a lot of people forget about the crankcase vent-drain tube that's under the valve cover on the Left side. It is plugged with a retaining snap ring.
In dryer climates like were I live, there is usually little or nothing in this tube. But in areas of humidity, I have read of quite a bit of oily discharge in this tube.
Check the owners manual and service spec for draining this tube.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 07 has about the same miles and I'm planning on checking the valve's this winter. Let us know what they find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts