GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about doing this procedure over an over again in many of your posts here!

So just yesterday (Bike has been in hibernation since November/and garaged/with tender on battery/wheels off floor/stabilizer in fuel/oil & filter changed etc.etc.) I replaced the radiator fluid, with Honda 50/50 [blue jug] So I started her up and let it run till the fans came on, WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED, what did I do to help my engine?? I do have to add that the motor started immediately, like the hibernation period never happened :)laugh:)

Thanks
Ronnie

Reactions: Drair and cycledude

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It is designed to give the operator something to do. The micro controller runs at such a high speed by the time you release the key all port have been mapped. If you turn the lets go control, it is remapped. Take the inverse of 32 Mhz to see how long one instruction takes to be completed. Nothing on the human body can move even that fast, so the idea that it takes until the fans come on before it rests the micro controller is very false. What they are not telling you, a micro controller starts at reset and as soon as you turn the key, it is reset and remapped. Some believe that by waiting to move the bike to when the fans come on, the block and head of the engine are warm, the engine seals will last longer and less chance of warping the block and heads but you need to talk to a mechanical engineer to get the reasons, I am only a electronics engineer who taught micro-controller theory for the last 33 years on the college level. And I did not stay at a holiday inn last night either.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The ECM reset procedure stores the learned values that the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve uses to keep the idle speed correct. This is done by the bike monitoring the idle speed while the engine warms up so it has the proper values for the entire temperature range, from full cold to full hot. I believe this is needed to control the hysterisis action of the IAC on engine speed at various temps. It is important to have a fully charged battery when doing this since it relies on feedback from the electrical sensors on the bike, and I'd recommend turning any high current devices (like driving lights) off when doing the reset.

I have also noticed a jump in gas mileage after performing the ECM reset procedure for the first tank or two, so it may also be changing some other base value settings for the FI system based on O2 sensor feedback, but that is just a guess.

I recommend doing this after an air filter change, spark plug change, or valve adjustment, as these items can change idle speeds. Also, if you notice your bike surging at idle when hot, then this would be a good indication that you need to do the ECM reset procedure.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It is designed to give the operator something to do. The micro controller runs at such a high speed by the time you release the key all port have been mapped. If you turn the lets go control, it is remapped. Take the inverse of 32 Mhz to see how long one instruction takes to be completed. Nothing on the human body can move even that fast, so the idea that it takes until the fans come on before it rests the micro controller is very false. What they are not telling you, a micro controller starts at reset and as soon as you turn the key, it is reset and remapped. Some believe that by waiting to move the bike to when the fans come on, the block and head of the engine are warm, the engine seals will last longer and less chance of warping the block and heads but you need to talk to a mechanical engineer to get the reasons, I am only a electronics engineer who taught micro-controller theory for the last 33 years on the college level. And I did not stay at a holiday inn last night either.
The sub conscious brain works much faster than any microprocessor ever hoped to.

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
This is an ECM reset and is an absolute breeze to do. Yes the ecm will not adjust itself so especially when travelling and significant elevation changes are traversed... next time the bike is cold, do the ecm reset.

Welcome back DJ. Long time no see!

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
The ECM reset procedure stores the learned values that the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve uses to keep the idle speed correct. This is done by the bike monitoring the idle speed while the engine warms up so it has the proper values for the entire temperature range, from full cold to full hot. I believe this is needed to control the hysterisis action of the IAC on engine speed at various temps. It is important to have a fully charged battery when doing this since it relies on feedback from the electrical sensors on the bike, and I'd recommend turning any high current devices (like driving lights) off when doing the reset.

I have also noticed a jump in gas mileage after performing the ECM reset procedure for the first tank or two, so it may also be changing some other base value settings for the FI system based on O2 sensor feedback, but that is just a guess.

I recommend doing this after an air filter change, spark plug change, or valve adjustment, as these items can change idle speeds. Also, if you notice your bike surging at idle when hot, then this would be a good indication that you need to do the ECM reset procedure.
When this man speaks, wise men listen!

Glen

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
The initialzation only allows the the ECM to teach itself how to control the idle speed as the engine warms up. Nothing else is accomplished by this procedure. As far as the 32Mhz micro controller instructions, we don’t even know what the clock frequency of this system uses and it runs a program as the engine warms up to teach itself. This program might be using instructions at this speed, but that really has no bearing on the learning cycle for this. This procedure is recommended in the service manual when the ECM is replaced and it should be done again any time the air filter is changed to allow the system to relearn the idle from the airflow change. If the throttle is moved during the warmup period, the learning procedure is aborted and the old sensor values are used. Also, there’s a barometer on the system to compensate for elevation changes.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What exactly does starting the bike & let it run till fans come on do?
Mostly it just wastes gas. It's a procedure that is done when the bike is new during prep by the dealer. (or supposed to be anyway), or when the ECM is replaced. But people also do it as part of their recreational maintenance routine. If you believe it will make a difference, then it will. If you don't, then it won't.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I've been reading about doing this procedure over an over again in many of your posts here!

So just yesterday (Bike has been in hibernation since November/and garaged/with tender on battery/wheels off floor/stabilizer in fuel/oil & filter changed etc.etc.) I replaced the radiator fluid, with Honda 50/50 [blue jug] So I started her up and let it run till the fans came on, WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED, what did I do to help my engine?? I do have to add that the motor started immediately, like the hibernation period never happened :)laugh:)

Thanks
Ronnie
That does not mean you know how to reset the idle on a goldwing I guess.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is an ECM reset and is an absolute breeze to do. Yes the ecm will not adjust itself so especially when travelling and significant elevation changes are traversed... next time the bike is cold, do the ecm reset.

DJ, maybe I missed a comment, but haven't seen you here in a while, welcome back. Yeah, not many posts from me, but I was here as bikerbillone a while back, something happened, I had to re-register to get to the comments. Been on this forum for years.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Very timely thread as I just asked a mechanic at a local Powersports dealership that I respect a lot about starting my bike every now and then in the winter to get the oil flowing etc. He told me to never start your bike without riding it to get up to full operating temperature. I said that I always warm up my bike until the fans come on and I see no condensation coming from the exhaust. He says that that is not hot enough and is tough on oil and is not good for the bike. I would love to hear from Fred or Techdude2000 on what their thoughts are.

Reactions: cycledude

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Very timely thread as I just asked a mechanic at a local Powersports dealership that I respect a lot about starting my bike every now and then in the winter to get the oil flowing etc. He told me to never start your bike without riding it to get up to full operating temperature. I said that I always warm up my bike until the fans come on and I see no condensation coming from the exhaust. He says that that is not hot enough and is tough on oil and is not good for the bike. I would love to hear from Fred or Techdude2000 on what their thoughts are.
Your mechanic is correct, never start it in the winter unless you are going to ride it for at least 20 miles. It needs to run long enough to boil off the condensation in the crankcase and that takes 210°F or higher oil temp. Warming it up a little actually increases the condensation by making the metal parts warm in the cold environment. :frown2:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Over the winter I had replaced the air filter, coolant, upgraded the handlebars to Heli-Bars, and flushed/bled the brake and clutch fluids. Today being the first really good day for me to get the bike out of its winter hibernation I decided to the ecm reset by idling the bike. It was a bright, sunny day with temps hovering just above 50 degrees. I backed the bike out the garage, started it up and let it idle. It was as smooth as can be. After ten minutes or so, all suited up and anxious to try out the new Heli-Bars, the fans still hadn't come on. The temp gauge on the bike was exactly at the mid range for several minutes. I came to the conclusion it's still too cool outside for the fans, so off I rode to enjoy the rest of the day!

Reactions: techdude2000

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Over the winter I had replaced the air filter, coolant, upgraded the handlebars to Heli-Bars, and flushed/bled the brake and clutch fluids. Today being the first really good day for me to get the bike out of its winter hibernation I decided to the ecm reset by idling the bike. It was a bright, sunny day with temps hovering just above 50 degrees. I backed the bike out the garage, started it up and let it idle. It was as smooth as can be. After ten minutes or so, all suited up and anxious to try out the new Heli-Bars, the fans still hadn't come on. The temp gauge on the bike was exactly at the mid range for several minutes. I came to the conclusion it's still too cool outside for the fans, so off I rode to enjoy the rest of the day!
As long as it idles smoothly around 700+/-70 rpm, you’re good to go. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts