GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered I have no heat on riders seat. Heat for pillion and grips works OK. There are no blown fuses, and I found no loose or disconnected wiring. I have an all leather Russell Day Long I bought and installed last year, and everything worked fine last year.
So, what component(s) fail when there is no heat on the seat? I mean, what broke?

UPDATE:
OK... a little research suggests that it has to be below a certain temperature before the seat heater turns on, like 55 degrees F or less. Is this true?

Thanks for your help...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Yes it has to be below 60 degrees to function, but they are the same, so grips, pass seat, rider seat, would either all work at the same time.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I got this one. What fails on a heated seat????
The heat.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I got this one. What fails on a heated seat????
The heat.
:thumbup::joke::joke: Ya think?

Generally if the grips and other things work, it is one of three things.

One is the seat element itself.
The other is the pin plug under the seat, loose, not making contact or something.

The other is the heat controller itself, all circuits pass through that and in some way regulate the transfer of voltage to the seat, all that.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Since it's not the OEM seat, probably a call to Russell is in order.
If this seat plugs into the OEM harness and if it's only your seat and the passenger seat still works, I'm guessing the problem is in the seat.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
"What exactly fails on a heated seat?"

Engineering, research, and design are the typical culprits.

prs

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
I replaced the heating element in the rear of the driver position That little riser has an element in it If anything quits the whole sytem quits Stupid design

If you are handy with a meter
remove your seat unplug it

You should have continuity between
1 and 4
1 and 8
3 and 10
3 and 7

Max will be under 200 ohms if any are open you have an internal seat problem
refer to ETM chapter 17

1 - 7 of 7 Posts