GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what front tire you use and how many miles you get on it,
I put a Bridgestone on, I'll get 14,000 miles .
Just courious what y'all are getting !

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Avon *trike* tire...........(Roadsmith trike)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Michelin Commander II. I'm just about to replace mine with 18,000 on it.
It probably could go a little further, but while I have the bike apart for other
service, I'll change the tire too.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I’ve run several bridgestones and I get 8-10k on them. Not bald when I replace them.

I’m running my first E4. I like it so far. Will likely continue to use the E4. I’m hoping for better mileage.

For my riding style it just doesn’t matter. Both seem to be terrific tires.

That’s all on my 2013 Blue Gl1800.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I got 21,000 out of an E4, but it was a very poor match with the rear ct. I now have 15,000 on a BT45, and looks like it has another 15,000 left on it. It is a much better match for a rear ct.

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1 get 20,000mi to 23,000mi, out of the Bridgestone G709 front, I wear them down to not quite bald, then keep one for a spare, 38psi,
I am on my 3rd one, always same type of riding, stock springs, just put on new Traxxion springs in front with "Golden Spectro " shock oil, will see if that improves mileage on smooth well maintained FLA. flat country roads, mostly solo.

The cut away cross section of the G709 shows it has a much thicker casing than any other brand I have seen. which the 900lb wing needs in the front & rear. I use a RF (RUN FLAT) 40,000mi so far, in the rear. YMMV RIDE SAFE!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
8000 to 12000 on Bridgestone 709 depending if I'm riding in Arkansas/Colorado or Kansas/Iowa.

I was forced into a Dunfolp once. Never again. Poor wet traction and cuping from the get-go.

Reactions: skeez

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Bridgestone front tire , 10,000-16,000 miles.
I have used Dunlop, Bridgestone, Metzler, Avon they all work but I prefer Bridgestone on the front.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mileage

1 get 20,000mi to 23,000mi, out of the Bridgestone G709 front, I wear them down to not quite bald, then keep one for a spare, 38psi,
I am on my 3rd one, always same type of riding, stock springs, just put on new Traxxion springs in front with "Golden Spectro " shock oil, will see if that improves mileage on smooth well maintained FLA. flat country roads, mostly solo.

The cut away cross section of the G709 shows it has a much thicker casing than any other brand I have seen. which the 900lb wing needs in the front & rear. I use a RF (RUN FLAT) 40,000mi so far, in the rear. YMMV RIDE SAFE!!
The only way I'm getting 40K out of a rear tire is if I get off and push. Then again I guess I still would not get 40K miles out of the rear tire. I could not push it that far!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Stone 709. I replace when I replace the rear. Usually at 6-8K.

They usually have about 4/32nds left when I replace them.

I could get around 9-10K out of them if I took to the wear bars (which are at 2/32nds), but an extra 2k miles to be able to squeeze all the life out of a tire and potentially be worried about it in a rain storm never felt worth it to me.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Bt45 33,500 with some left took off for trip , great tire just have to keep at 41 lbs air run beads

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Bt45 33,500 with some left took off for trip , great tire just have to keep at 41 lbs air run beads
Is it possible to reverse rotation of the B45 (or any front tire) by simply flipping the front wheel around? Or does the tire have to be removed from the wheel and flipped around?
Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
I use 'Stones exclusively. I value all kinds of grip over longevity.

Although my fronts wear a bit slower than my rears (both at 41 lbs religiously), I always replace in pairs.

I get around 8-9K out of a set.

I consider myself on the moderate side of riding style and have yet to find a really good and consistent use for my rear brakes.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
On the wing I usually tour cruise at legal speeds here which is 60 to 65 mph I consistently get around 18 to 20 K with the G709 and yes at 20K she s pretty well shot tried a few different brands over the years but my favorite is the G709 I wont use any other tyre for the front of this bike any more :yes1:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Flipping the rim

Is it possible to reverse rotation of the B45 (or any front tire) by simply flipping the front wheel around? Or does the tire have to be removed from the wheel and flipped around?
Thanks
You have to take the tire off of the rim. The spacers are not symmetrical.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts