GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What gear do you use to park?

• First gear.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral.

• Second gear.

• Reverse

• I never park my Wing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if other Wing riders use a gear to hold their bike in place when parked. I usually leave it in neutral, but the other day, I came back and the bike was sleeping on the engine guards. Just wondering if a new habit, parking in a gear, might prevent napping.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
99% of the time I use reverse and I leave it on the center stand.

Reverse prevents the bike from going forward or backwards as it locks the rear end. (Makes theft quite a bit tougher too.)

I use the ride off stand so I kick in reverse and let the bike walk up onto the center stand and then turn it off. Done.

Problem with both leaving the bike in gear and reverse... if you are on a good enough slope, or grade, the bike can still roll. The same is true of reverse but the angle needed to move the wing is much greater.

Here is what happened to you (we think):

·
Registered
194 Posts
1st. gear, roll ahead till it stops and drop down on sidestand. NEVER on the centerstand outside unless I'm staying close by, learned my lesson with my 1500 when a nasty wind from a thunderstorm blew it forward and it fell over. If you have to park on a hill try to park uphill.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
99% of the time I use reverse and I leave it on the center stand.

Reverse prevents the bike from going forward or backwards as it locks the rear end. (Makes theft quite a bit tougher too.)
If the reverse button gets stuck (they've been known to do that) you're SOL. On my wing, when it's on the center stand the rear wheel doesn't touch the ground.:?:

·
Registered
655 Posts
When parking I use the side stand like a kill switch while in first, then remove the key.
I did this at a road construction site on top of Bear Tooth, forgot the key part. Thank goodness for gravity had to bump start.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
If I am parking on level ground I usually leave it in neutral. When there any kind of a slope I try to park pointed up hill and in first gear. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
On my wing, when it's on the center stand the rear wheel doesn't touch the ground.:?:
It does if you have a ride off stand or you have a 70 serier tire on the back . I park my bike on the center stand. So it's always in neutral. I had a ride off stand on my 92 Wing many years back, it was nice but with both wheels on the ground at all times you have to careful how you park it. I was warming it up one day, bike in neutral, loading my trailer, bike rolled forward and onto it's side, good thing it has good tip over protection.

·
Registered
21,255 Posts
usually park in 1st gear using side stand, about the only time i park in neutral is at home in the garage on the center stand, using reverse to park seems like just asking for trouble

learned my lesson, have seen plenty of bikes roll forward and tip over because they were parked in neutral, including my own once, parking in gear prevents that possibility

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If the reverse button gets stuck (they've been known to do that) you're SOL. On my wing, when it's on the center stand the rear wheel doesn't touch the ground.:?:
Only if you do not use it regularly. I use my reverse multiple times a day. Yup - the button will eventually wear out but it has been my experience that a switch will "act up" before going into complete failure.

using reverse to park seems like just asking for trouble
Educate me... why?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Only if you do not use it regularly. I use my reverse multiple times a day. Yup - the button will eventually wear out but it has been my experience that a switch will "act up" before going into complete failure.

Educate me... why?
We were a thousand miles from home one day and one of the bikes reverse switch stuck in with no warning. This was in the middle of a busy driveway. Couldn't move the bike and had a bunch of pi##ed off people going around us. Had to spray the heck out of it with WD-40 to get it unstuck. Took about 30 minutes to get it unstuck. This was not my bike.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I park in neutral less on a slope. and one the side stand away from the wind. when I put my bike cover on.
Buster Smith

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
1st gear and side stand

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
What gear I use when parking depends on the situation. Normally I use first gear and side stand when I'm out somewhere, but sometimes I use reverse if I'm parked on a hill or I'm concerned about security. When I'm parked in my garage, I always use neutral and center stand. But since I most often use first gear, that's what I put on the poll.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
1st gear and side stand. Always.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
This question seems to pop up occasionally as time goes by. I learned to drive my cars that were equipped with a gear boxes only. I always left my cars parked in first gear. With today's majority of cages with automatic transmission do you leave your tranny in neutral and walk away? We should use the same logic when we walk away from our bikes. Never, NEVER leave your bike in neutral.

For those of us who have done rear tire changes by laying the Wing on it's right side, don't we put the gear box in 1st gear? Why? To immobilize the rear wheel. For the same reason, everyone should park their bikes in first gear.

I also always park it on its side stand and use the centerstand when it's on my garage cement floor.

When on trips, I use a front brake lock when I'm in for the night. The front brake lock key hole is inaccessible as the handlebar is turned and locked to the left putting it against the windshield. Of course, these are only more steps that a willing thief will have to go through to take what's not his. I just feel better that I've done all the necessary precautions to try and discourage him.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
When on trips, I use a front brake lock when I'm in for the night. The front brake lock key hole is inaccessible as the handlebar is turned and locked to the left putting it against the windshield. Of course, these are only more steps that a willing thief will have to go through to take what's not his. I just feel better that I've done all the necessary precautions to try and discourage him.
Why take the time to put a lock on the front brake rotor when all you have to do is use reverse?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Brake lever eh? Interesting.

I would like to see a pic of your setup.

You are aware that one simple bolt and the lock is off without making a sound. Something to think about.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts