GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 60 years old, been riding motorcycles for 36 years. It seems I have more maps and trip ideas then years left to ride. My wife and I go on one two week bike trip and a few one week bike trips every year, also most good weather weekends. We put about 20,000 miles on in a year. I was wondering how old the riders on this forum are and how they feel about getting older as they ride. Will my knees finally do me in or will my judgement in traffic be the enemy? I know there has been posts with this question and even polls on the age of riders. I just want to hear from the older crowd here as to their feelings about how long they will continue to ride the Wing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My legs and arms are not what they used to be.
I don't tuck into the corners as hard as I used to.

Nancy and I have discussed that we will Trike out the bike before we ever stop.
I see 5 more years before we trike it out maybe 10 more years to go.

Several years ago met a 71 year old on a wing at Mt Mitchell NC.He handled the road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg just fine.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
if you worked hard all your life, I mean sweat for a living like I did and still do, then the knees will the first to go. Mine stay swollen and hurt all the time. I know it will be a matter of time before they give out on me.
When that time comes I don't know what I will do. I really don't see me on a trike. A small, nimble convertible like a Miata would better suit me.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Bando,
I am 68 years old and other than a few more aches and pains I feel great and still love to ride. I hope to wear out the Wing and at least one more bike. I am suspecting my knees/legs will go first since that seems to be my weakest area. I ride about 10,000 miles per year and usually take one long trip each year with friends.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm 60 years old, been riding motorcycles for 36 years. It seems I have more maps and trip ideas then years left to ride. My wife and I go on one two week bike trip and a few one week bike trips every year, also most good weather weekends. We put about 20,000 miles on in a year. I was wondering how old the riders on this forum are and how they feel about getting older as they ride. Will my knees finally do me in or will my judgement in traffic be the enemy? I know there has been posts with this question and even polls on the age of riders. I just want to hear from the older crowd here as to their feelings about how long they will continue to ride the Wing. Thanks
I think many people could extend their riding years by exercising. Some resistance training, especially for legs would be the most beneficial. At 60 you have a long way to go I would bet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It will be my body

Almost 50, but my back, shoulders and knees will be what do me I'm afraid. Fortunately, riding the bike is one of the few things I do that does not cause pain. Think that supports the fact that attitude can effect pain, because my attitude is definetly the best when I'm riding:clap2:

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I think that some of it will depend on what kind of shape you stay in. If you sit at a desk all day and get no exercise when not at work you do not keep your legs prepared to hold up a 900 lb. bike. I have a somewhat active job and as I get older it gets harder and harder to keep the weight off. I keep my brain exercised but it is hard to get motivated to keep my body in shape.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I’m 62 and have been riding since 1970. I would have been riding a lot sooner, but my parents did not like bikes and as long as I was living at home I could not have one. I finally got my first bike after returning from Vietnam and moving to another state. I figure my mind will go first. I’ll probably forget to put oil in the Goldwing after draining it. I am very mindful of such a thing happening so I am extra careful.
I’m shooting for 80.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Like HARPER, i too have 68 yrs. on this earth, & have been riding motorcycles since 1960.
Like Wille Nelson said, " & after taking several readings, I'm surprised to find my mind's still fairly sound". My legs are holding up well, & I have no problems balancing the Wing. I have a 36" inseam, so i'm sure that helps alot.
I have no trouble putting the motorcycle on the centerstand on solid level surfaces.
I ride all yr. around, ride @ night, & if caught in rain i continue on to my destination. I have 20/30 uncorrected vision.
I ride a bicycle 4-5 hrs a week & walk probably 10-15 miles a week.
I do not run. As Satchel Page said"hurryin' angers the blood......."
I do have a health problem that will probably do me in, but right now I'm doing fine.
I'll ride as long as the Lord lets me, & I hope to have the good sense to
park it if/when i can't.
Will i find it hard to quit? I don't think so. I consider myself very lucky & it's been a helluva ride.:yes1:
y'all take care now, ya hear?
the hobo

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I’m 62 and have been riding since 1970. I’ll probably forget to put oil in the Goldwing after draining it. I am very mindful of such a thing happening so I am extra careful
batess6, Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I DID that once, but i was only 58-59.
Drained the oil, put the plug back in, changed the filter, buttoned it up.
Fired it up to check for leaks, oill light remained on:22yikes: & I SHUT IT DOWN.
Was it old age? I think it was more a case of not focusing on the task @ hand.:shrug:
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Elbando - I work with folks at various ages and states of health on a frequent basis. I have found that while you are receiving lots of great information from other riders, much of what you are asking about is your individual situation. What worked or didn't work for others won't provide answers for you. What goes first will be based upon medical conditions beyond your control, medications you take, the physical condition you have maintained, your mental attitude and to some degree, the luck of the draw.

The future for all of us is unknown, so all I can say is take care of yourself and loved ones, enjoy every moment on this earth and thank God for each and every one.

Godspeed

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
ElBando
I'm also 60 :thumbup:I don't even want to dream about the day when I can't ride anymore :eek:4::22yikes:, just keep going till ya can't go anymore, if the legs get weak got to gym & build em up again :thumbup:
stay active, keep the mind going, take Omega III every day ;)
where in PA do you live ?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

71 years young, Right knee about gone. Can only walk about 50 feet and can only stand for a couple of minutes with out holding on to something.

Still riding but not as much, if I am out for a day and get on and off the bike a few times, it becomes very difficult, almost impossible at times.

The back begins to suffer after only 20 miles now. I ride a 100 miles in one stop and am in pain. If I keep moving on the seat, sit on the back, move to the front sit on the left side, sit on the right side, stand on the pegs and just keep busy it does help.

Getting old is not for sissy's !!!!

I am afraid a trike is going to be out of the question for me.. With the cost of living going up, I will never be able to save enough to buy one. Thank you Mr Trillionair.. But I do enjoy riding them LOL

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Elbando - I work with folks at various ages and states of health on a frequent basis. I have found that while you are receiving lots of great information from other riders, much of what you are asking about is your individual situation. What worked or didn't work for others won't provide answers for you. What goes first will be based upon medical conditions beyond your control, medications you take, the physical condition you have maintained, your mental attitude and to some degree, the luck of the draw.

The future for all of us is unknown, so all I can say is take care of yourself and loved ones, enjoy every moment on this earth and thank God for each and every one.

Godspeed
Are you a doctor??

·
Registered
747 Posts
The Wing is IMO the easiest big bike to ride and handle so I don't see the big deal in an older person; even one not very fit, handling the bike. The bike weighs nothing if it is kept upright. Thats where the mental part comes to play. hopefully, we don't do the silly things we did when we were younger because back then, strength and speed overcame stupidity...sometimes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I turn 65 this July so I'm planning on getting my trip of a lifetime to Alaska out of the way while I have the health to do it. (Planning 16,000 miles over 3 months.)

Everytime I get a chance to ride, I try to enjoy it as if it might be the last time I get to turn the key. We surely have no idea what that broken, weakest link, will be that ends our fun on two wheels.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
at 54 I have rheumatoid arthritis, anyone that has it knows that you must keep it in control with drugs and activity. you can slow progression of the disease but you are never cured.

some days it hurts after just an hour and others I can ride all day without pain.

the gl1800 is a heavy parking lot bike but a dream to ride.

I plan on going riding as long as my mind says so and my body listens.

John

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I'm 63 and have been riding since 1971. Took a 6000 mile tour of the West last September with my 63 year old GF. We rode two up all the way and camped most of the time in the Mini-mate camper. We both had a great time.
she did tell me tho that she was thru waking up to 30 degree weather in the mountains.:eek: Of course you have to put up with the aches and pains in the morning, but that wears off quickly as the excitment of the day unfolds.

I'll ride as long as I feel competent, physically and mentally.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Old?

I'll be 72 in May. Bought my first bike in !992 when I was 55 and newly retired after some 30+ years in the aerospace industry.
After a BMW and a Nomad bought a Goldwing this past November.
Love it.
I think exercise and eating well, along with good genes are the secret.
I lift weights three times a week, bicycle a few times a week and walk at least fifteen miles a week.
The rest of the time is on the Goldwing.
Planning some long rides this spring/summer.
Living in AZ makes all year riding easy. Would have a hard time putting the bike away for several months waiting for the snow to melt. I feel cold when it's below 70.....I think my wife's limit is 75.
She loves the heated seats.
Enough rambling. I think I can ride for quite a few years yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts