GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the high mileage GL1800 out there, 100,000 - 200,000 miles, what "major replacement" can one expect to plan on?

Fork seals?
anti drive seals?
drive train parts?
timing gear?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Gas, tires, headlight bulbs, spark plugs. Actually, they are pretty well engineered and last a long time. Fork seals are hardly a major item, but the seat will start breaking down at about 50K if you are in the eighth of a ton range, the rear suspension will start to sag about the same time, but thats pretty close to it. Engine and drive trains seem to run forever, but there is the 1% that have something go amiss. Some anti dives give up, but is an easy and inexpensive fix. Even the brakes last quite a while - depending on drive style.

But a wing is a machine, and its dependability will be in relation to the maintenance given, the time in service, and the way it was used. In the scheme of things, something will break sometime.

I would say plan on a replacement bike at the 200,000 point.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Here is the list of stuff I have seen fail on higher mileage bikes.

starter relays
rear drive leaks/failures
rear shock is usually shot by 30-50K miles or less
a few alternator failures on some high mileage bikes have also occurred
sticking buttons for reverse, cruise, mute, flashers

Other more common failures that occur at lower mileage include normal items you would expect like batteries (3-4 years on OEM) and headlight bulbs (I go through about one set a year)

All in all, the bike is pretty reliable and seems to have a pretty high MTBF on the major components. I have been pleased with the very few failures I have had on my own bike and it is still rock solid and runs like new.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
IR Harry said:
the seat will start breaking down at about 50K if you are in the eighth of a ton range
Seat 'fake' seams are cracking open on mine at 30K or 2 years, I am a tenth of a ton. I am *assuming* and waiting for warranty replacement at this instant though, so this may not count.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Fred the 100 at 100,000 is worth framing

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
On my 2001 the alternator failed at aobut 80K and the rear end at about 120K. When I was riding it in the Alps (RPM mostly between 4K and the 6.5K) it burned some oil.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
WOW! It must have been tricky - taking that photo at 100 MPH.
When mine is at 100 all I can do is hang on and pray!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a 2001 with original everything! Well that's not true the tires have been changed. OH the airfilter changed once, plugs once and oil several times with filter. of course there's only 38000 miles on her.

LAW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts