GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the threads on GPS units, someone has got to have one that you can plan a trip with the same program on a computer , place it on a cf card or the likens of, put it in the GPS and go for a ride . I have the Navi system but unless your lost , I fine it almost useless Is there such a GPS unit avaible? Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
With all the threads on GPS units, someone has got to have one that you can plan a trip with the same program on a computer , place it on a cf card or the likens of, put it in the GPS and go for a ride . I have the Navi system but unless your lost , I fine it almost useless Is there such a GPS unit avaible? Thanks in advance for any input!
Pappi,
There are some really good deals out on refurbished Garmin units. Street Pilot 2720, 2730 and 2820 are available on ebay for $100 - $250. All have a one year warranty by Garmin.

All these (and others) will let you do your routing on the computer and off-load them to the GPS.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 for the StreetPilot series. I have the 2720, and absolutely love it! Over two years now, and never had a hitch. It doesn't play MP3 files, but I have an iPod for that. It doesn't answer my phone, but I don't really need to be yakking on the phone while riding anyway. It doesn'y have a battery, but I usually don't wander too far from the bike while on rides. But what it does do, it does very well (in my opinion). Being able to create a route on the PC and download it to the GPS is a very nice feature that many other models don't have. Once you have a unit that allows this, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it! ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
TigerGPS.com has refurb. Garmin 2720's for $117 !! Smokin' good deal!

GetFeetWet.com has the 2730's (2720 w/Xm and antenna) for $245. Anither great deal since most XM antennas alone are over $200.

Lots of people have remarked that the refurbs are even better than new because they've been fully checked out rather than just "assembled".

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I was maybe, probably, GPS dumber than most anyone a little over 2 years ago. How do you spell GPS? Duh, I had to look it up. Anyway, after following the threads here and evaluating a GPS comparison chart that someone here put together, I went with the Garmin 2720. The software (Map Source) took a little getting used to, but like everything else that you do in life, once you learn how to do it, it's easy. Now, 2 years and lots of GPS miles later, I wonder how I ever got along without it. Sure, it has taken me places that I didn't expect to be going; but I did enjoy the ride and the scenery, and I've always made it home. The 2720's are relatively cheap, motorcycle specific (water and vibration proof, no card to mess with, and touchscreen), no frills units that are very intuitive for even a novice to use. For the most usuability, get a Kennedy cellset and a dash or handlebar mount.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a Garmin Streetpilot 7200 (7" display) mounted on my 06 NAV bike. It does everything you mention with the MapSource software. It's not waterproof but that is what baggies are for.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I have a Garmin Streetpilot 7200 (7" display) mounted on my 06 NAV bike. It does everything you mention with the MapSource software. It's not waterproof but that is what baggies are for.
i have the 7200 in my suv

the waterproof thing keeps it off the bike

but it sure is easy to operate, no knowledge required

1 - 7 of 7 Posts