GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010, Level 1, very meticulous one owner, 72k miles. I am very meticulous (always have been) about all maintenance and cleaning aspects of my Wing and my vehicles. Prior to an 8,600 miles trip last summer, I used Mother's Aluminum Polish on both wheels; they almost looked like chrome. Upon returning, I did a thorough service and cleaning of the bike and wheels, and applied another coat of Mother's (almost looked like chrome). Due to the fall and winter months, I put about 6k miles on it; but only used Formula 33 on the Wing. While cleaning it yesterday (Formula 33 only, no wash), I noticed that my rear wheel didn't look right. When I got down to take a better look, I noticed that the rear wheel had a coating of what looked like brake dust and tar on it (left side not so bad; but right side terrible). I tried wiping it off, but it was hard to the touch. I got a bucket of hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid (for rear wheel only) and applied it with a heavy duty rag; NO change. I've tried cleaning it all morning with Mother's and a rag, Mother's and a scouring pad; very minor improvement, but still hard to the touch. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!

Attachments

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Fix

I don't know what it is, but I get the same stuff on my rims. I clean it off with S100 wheel cleaner and a Scotch Brite pad.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Stuff on rims

Brake pad dust
I was not sure if it was a combination of brake pad dust and rubber or just brake pad dust. It seems to get everywhere on the motorcycle. It is a real pain to clean off with just soap and water. Does anyone know what makes it so hard when it is deposited on the rims?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what it is, but I get the same stuff on my rims. I clean it off with S100 wheel cleaner and a Scotch Brite pad.

I've tried Simple Green and Purple Power (??) with pad and no change. I'm thinking it brake dust and ??, but what can get it off?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
put Mothers on the steel wool and scrub it then wipe with a clean rag.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If it doesn't affect the quality of the ride, why bother? Besides all the brake dust, road tar and microscopic bits of tire rubber/carbon black, I added some road salt to mine this past year. I'll give the bead seating area a good scrubbing at the next tire change.

Reactions: jm21ddd15

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Cleaners

I've tried Simple Green and Purple Power (??) with pad and no change. I'm thinking it brake dust and ??, but what can get it off?
The S100 wheel cleaner I mentioned earlier does the trick for me. I tried Purple Power being from K-State which is a very purple school, and it did no good at all. I think spit-shining would have done a better job. :frown2:

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
You're supposed to clean the wheels??:joke:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did a query for "acid in brake dust" figuring there had to be something there that made the dust stick to the wheel. The responses were interesting, several from YouTube University suggesting that muriatic acid is the sure cure removal method. You may want to explore that as an option.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
2010, Level 1, very meticulous one owner, 72k miles. I am very meticulous (always have been) about all maintenance and cleaning aspects of my Wing and my vehicles. Prior to an 8,600 miles trip last summer, I used Mother's Aluminum Polish on both wheels; they almost looked like chrome. Upon returning, I did a thorough service and cleaning of the bike and wheels, and applied another coat of Mother's (almost looked like chrome). Due to the fall and winter months, I put about 6k miles on it; but only used Formula 33 on the Wing. While cleaning it yesterday (Formula 33 only, no wash), I noticed that my rear wheel didn't look right. When I got down to take a better look, I noticed that the rear wheel had a coating of what looked like brake dust and tar on it (left side not so bad; but right side terrible). I tried wiping it off, but it was hard to the touch. I got a bucket of hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid (for rear wheel only) and applied it with a heavy duty rag; NO change. I've tried cleaning it all morning with Mother's and a rag, Mother's and a scouring pad; very minor improvement, but still hard to the touch. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!
I believe you must have done quite a bit of riding since the last time your wheels were thoroughly cleaned. I normally wash my bike about every two weeks and I’ve never had a problem like yours.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I did a query for "acid in brake dust" figuring there had to be something there that made the dust stick to the wheel. The responses were interesting, several from YouTube University suggesting that muriatic acid is the sure cure removal method. You may want to explore that as an option.

Need to be careful with muriatic acid, it will attack raw aluminum. You can use it, just be sure to not leave it on the wheel very long and rinse it off thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Need to be careful with muriatic acid, it will attack raw aluminum. You can use it, just be sure to not leave it on the wheel very long and rinse it off thoroughly.
We used it to clean cement off the mixer trucks when i drove concrete truck. It will take many things off, you are right about it attacking aluminum. It is used well diluted in a lot of wheel cleaner for the trucking industry.

Not sure what it would do for the original poster.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I think that brake dust is corrosive and etches the aluminum.
I solved it on mine by powder coating the wheels. Other than doing that, a regular application of elbow grease is the only other thing I can recommend.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
You might want to try a hydrocarbon based solvent like mineral spirits or something. I’ve had stuff on my wheels that I couldn’t get off that wiped clean with mineral spirits. Just no where near as bad as yours.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Just wait until they’re completely coated and then just tell everyone they are black powder coat. :grin2:
What's happening techdude.
It looks like to me typical brake dust / salt and other contaminates that as bored little Pitts in your CAST aluminum wheel. So to cure this I clean with a strong cleaner and then i took a wet sand paper you can start with 600 to 800 and go to 1400 and then your high polish and sealer. Be CAREFILL not to sand to much because your wheel is CAST aluminum. I took out most of mine and had it powDer coated clear. If you powder coat you do not seal . Just high finish polish and Clean with alcohol and handed to the powder coat. That's what show frustrating about those wheels you can make on look so nice and the break dust pitts them all to heck. Mine look awesome no maintenance.the careful part is being a cast wheel if you sand to much you mite sand into the cast part .

My finished powder coat front wheel with my beloved dog Max next to a billet t6061 high polished alum wheel
Oh yea any soap and water easily cleans the powder coated rim no hassle. It looks the same three years later. Absolutely not hand polished for me anymore

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts