GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what a fender extender will do to your fender over time image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg will post later to show what happens without extender!!

·
Registered
7,375 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
rear fender extender

Is that the rear portion of the front fender, or the rear fender on the back of the bike??

Also, is the extender metal or plastic??

Rayjoe

·
Registered
410 Posts
Curious to know how this happened. Did you hit something? I've had the same one for 20 some thousand, and haven't seen anything to be concerned with yet.

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
I imagine hundreds have been broken by fender extenders. Just the wind at speed is a lot of force on the rear of the front fender. Riding in the rain at highway speeds would really put pressure on the extender. Not worth it in my book!

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Used plastic apoxey twice, then decided to replace it. This time without the extension.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No fender issues

I put a metal brace on the inside of the fender on both my 2004 (78,000 miles) and my 2008 (26,000) and have no cracking issues.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front rear fender

Bike had 110,000 on when I put new fender on, both ear's were broke off and I was worried it would break off and cause more damage! The extension was the Kury one made out of plastic and rubber. I will post Pic's of what is going on now with not having extender on tomorrow!

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Mine broke at about 250,000 with an extender, Honda warranty said they would not cover it because it was not a Honda fender extension, so I removed the extension and fixed the fender with some expensive 3M epoxy, 150,000+ miles later it holding fine, the only time I miss the extension is when riding on wet gravel because sand flies up gets stuck in the radio buttons sometimes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
fender extension

I have the Kury extension on my bike. II siliconed a metal strap to each side of the fender and then wired tied that metal strap to the forks effectively bracing the bottom of the fender to the forks. No pressure pushing back on the rear fender anymore and after 140,000 miles no cracks or problems even after going up the Hall Road to the Arctic Circle through mud and slop! A few years ago I hit a deer. Some part of that dear must have gone under my front tire and actually ripped the rubber off of the bottom of the fender extension. Even with that pressure not one crack to the fender itself!
My Dad's bike as well as my friend's use the same setup. Roughly 300 thousand miles between the three bikes in the last several years and not one crack to the rear half of the front fender.

Kurt

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
jammer,
My (rear) front fender has some cracks in it too. (bad ones) Don't believe it was fron my fender extender though. Mine was fine 'til I put a Pirelli Sport Demon on the front. (it was rear tire) I think it had tendency to 'grow' at hwy speeds and touched the fender once in a while. I patched it up with some pieces of ABS and ABS glue. Looks like crap when you take it off but for now seems to be workin'.
I'll need a new fender at some point.
thecruiser

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Here is what a fender extender will do to your fender over time View attachment 55620 View attachment 55621 View attachment 55622 will post later to show what happens without extender!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the 2 tabs the hold the back of chrome caliper covers to the front's rear fender were snapped off. If so, do you think that by not securing the rear of the caliper covers put undo pressure to the front's rear fender?

How were those tabs on the other side?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I imagine hundreds have been broken by fender extenders. Just the wind at speed is a lot of force on the rear of the front fender. Riding in the rain at highway speeds would really put pressure on the extender. Not worth it in my book!

Sent from iPhone
Yeah, I learned the hard way! :evil:

·
Vendor
21,872 Posts
I've owned three Wings without fender extenders installed and have never had a problem with my front fender cracking. I've also serviced a lot of bikes, and the only ones I've found with fender cracks have been ones that had extenders mounted. I check them all when I pull off the front forks to do fork service on them.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Those tabs were also broke on mine but all the parts were there so I epoxied them in place and like I said earlier everything has been holding fine for the past 150,000+ miles. Lots of folks have had this problem, I think the long extensions some folks put on are trouble , sometimes folks get careless putting it together and cause problems but in general I think the rear half of the front fender was rather poorly designed and is weak. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tab's

The fender was already cracked before the 2 tab broke,it was the lower tab! I ordered new fender and thought I replace it before my trip to the spring DSRI so I had NO problem's when down in Franklin. The problem with no extender is it took all the chrome off my lower cowl. will post pic's soon.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Last year, I ran over a dog (one heck of a speed bump). It broke the entire section off my fender where the j-nuts are. I fixed it with stainless steel. When I got my new bike I wanted a fender extender so I took the idea of how I repaired old fender to strengthen my new fender. I just did it a few days ago and haven't written it up yet but I do have some rough pictures. The j-nuts are in the same place on the rear section and the caliper covers are drilled to accept the bolts. More info when I write it up. I used stuff I had on hand.

extcalcover.jpg extfender.jpg

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I reinforced my rear fender by painting the underside of the fender with truck bed liner...a few coats around the mounting bosses and the rest of the underside creates another fender bonded to the plastic fender..I've repaired cracked fenders the same way...pretty easy to do and it strengthens the fender.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I reinforced my rear fender by painting the underside of the fender with truck bed liner...a few coats around the mounting bosses and the rest of the underside creates another fender bonded to the plastic fender..I've repaired cracked fenders the same way...pretty easy to do and it strengthens the fender.

Great idea, will do that on my new one.
thecruiser

1 - 20 of 26 Posts