GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early '50's, we alternated Christmas vacations in Garland and Tulsa. I have pictures of my sister and I sleeping outside in hammocks on Christmas Eve, in t-shirts and shorts and it would be snowing back in Tulsa. I found some other pictures taken in '82 at Ft. Hood and the temp was +11. I used to be able to head south in January on my bike and by the time I crossed the Red River the sun would be shinning down, saying welcome to the Lone Star State!

Does global warming only happen in the summer?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Last week and early this week we were at or near record high temps in Houston for several days. We hit 87 one day last week!

Yes, we also get record lows! I personally think that global warming is highly over rated. In fact, if you look at the record high temps that we aree meeting or breaking, it's not unusual for those record temps to be from 50 or 100 years ago.

By the way, I'm not looking to start a debate on global warming. I do agree the pollution has pretty much screwed up the atmosphere.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Out biggest problem is that we tend to have an average temp. of 60 by it being 80 one day and 40 the next!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We are running above average temps just West of TX....in the 80's all week.....hard to take but somebody has to....Right??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Never mind the temps , what about the winds. It was like a west Tx. dust
storm today. Hey but I still road some.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Weather service called for wind gusts above 40 for San Angelo area. They were right on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wind is still blowin' in Southeast Texas, although not as much as earlier :D

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You guys know the drill - if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait an hour or two.

Yeah, winds were bad, but it was raining this morning, too, so I decided to take the cage instead of the scooter. As the man said, I can ride in the rain, I can ride in the wind and I can ride in the cold. But I hate it when it is rainy, windy AND cold.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Get out and ride as much as you can cuz the times are a changin' Only at most another hundred years before the next ice age. :D

http://muller.lbl.gov/pages/IceAgeBook/history_of_climate.html

"From this plot, it is clear that most of the last 420 thousand years (420 kyr) was spent in ice age. The brief periods when the record peaks above the zero line, the interglacials, typically lasted from a few thousand to perhaps twenty thousand years.

These data should frighten you. All of civilization developed during the last interglacial, and the data show that such interglacials are very brief. Our time looks about up. Data such as these are what led us to state, in the Preface, that the next ice age is about to hit us, any millennium now. It does not take a detailed theory to make this prediction. We don’t necessarily know why the next ice age is imminent (at least on a geological time scale), but the pattern is unmistakable."

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is a great day to ride today. Hi is about 70,sweet.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Besides, people who are really in the know, understand the world will be destroyed by fire, not ice.

Anyway - weekend looks good for riding. Of course, I'll be in a cage, heading towards Lehighton, PA to spend Thanksgiving with my oldest daughter and her family. So, no bike riding for the next two weeks or so. Last time we were up there, they had heavy snow and power outages for over 80 hours. SIL finished the turkey and remainder of the meal on the bar-b-q grill. Most unusual holiday ever.

But what the heck, I'm retired - there's always another nice riding day, Lord willing.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
378 Posts
Al Gore messed up the entire weather while he was inventing the internet........he created such a marvelous technological thing it caused a "Sunami-sized whirlwind". But if you asked him.........the by-product of his great invention was "W"'s fault. :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
Yeah, winds were bad, but it was raining this morning, too, so I decided to take the cage instead of the scooter.
I too caged yesterday and drove by DFW airport on my way into work. The airport clocked 56mph winds yesterday morning and based on how my Pilot was getting blown around on 121, I would've sworn the wind was stronger than that. It's the first time in a long time I've seen rain blowing sideways (from the west).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I rode. You made a wise choice to take the cage. I was on 35W riding near the centerline and then a gust of wind blew me almost off of the shoulder. One of the scariest rides I have ever taken. This was in the morning, the ride home in the afternoon was not as bad.

Billy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Billy I know what you are talking about. Everything is going great,
your leaning to the wind. Then suddenly changes and the pucker
factor is in full swing. :shock: :shock: :shock: :idea: :idea:
Home Quick :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts