GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has happened to this board? I can remember when I first joined and the information and knowledge sharing was fantastic to say the least. Now, we talk about everything and anything. Even my post….

Is it because of the diversity of the folks who have been bitten by the GL1800, or are these folks just out in cyberspace sucking in the black hole of nothingness?

Really folks it could be me, but, I think this board has lost its appeal for me. I am at the point of looking for a different board with true dedication to the GL1800 again.

Don’t get me wrong here. There are still some really smart, great folks posting on this board. Then there are the ones that are really WACK’O’s…..folks who have lost the true meaning of riding and what this board was...

What are we doing? Where is the board heading? Someone please help me…..

One member that is lost in the trivial mind set of just enjoying the ride not the idea.

FLAME SUIT IS ON….Bring it….

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
<snip>

Really folks it could be me, but, I think this board has lost its appeal for me. I am at the point of looking for a different board with true dedication to the GL1800 again. <snip>
When you find that board you are looking for, please share it's name with us. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I agree. It has kind of become an extension of the "myspace" and "facebook" world where you just ramble about anything.
I posted a thread last week (and took the flames) about how topics under the "General Motorcylce" should be just that. In addition there should be an "Off Topic" section listed just under it on the main page, not buried under the "Sub" category.
Either that or just change the name of "General Motorcylce " to "coffee house babble"

I tend to just waste my time on this forum between patients during the work day trying to pickup useful tidbits here and there but I also make sure to frequent the more stimulating motorcycle websites out there which thankfully still abound.
You can just choose not to come or as others have done out there create a new website for those with like interests (not meant to be a jab or wise crack).
Thanks to Hal though for stocking all the great farkles for the wing and putting them on sale as often as he does!
And thanks to the non-cynical motocycle folks out there who don't always sit and wait to spring on the least suspecting poster but use patience instead when replying to the "been discussed a million times over" threads. Thats what keeps newbies coming.

Steve

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
What has happened to this board? I can remember when I first joined and the information and knowledge sharing was fantastic to say the least. Now, we talk about everything and anything. Even my post….

Is it because of the diversity of the folks who have been bitten by the GL1800, or are these folks just out in cyberspace sucking in the black hole of nothingness?

Really folks it could be me, but, I think this board has lost its appeal for me. I am at the point of looking for a different board with true dedication to the GL1800 again.

Don’t get me wrong here. There are still some really smart, great folks posting on this board. Then there are the ones that are really WACK’O’s…..folks who have lost the true meaning of riding and what this board was...

What are we doing? Where is the board heading? Someone please help me…..

One member that is lost in the trivial mind set of just enjoying the ride not the idea.

FLAME SUIT IS ON….Bring it….
When you're out with a group of friends for a ride,do you only talk about riding?
During lunch,are bikes the only topic?

I don't know about you,but now and then there are other things on my mind!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
When you're out with a group of friends for a ride,do you only talk about riding?

I agree just make it more logical to navigate to what you want to read.
A "General Motorcylce" for just that and right below it a "coffee shop" to discuss everything else.
Just a repetitive thought.

Back to work 'til Friday then off to Disney with wife and kids and leave the virtual world behind awhile. (I'll likely do some actual riding as well!)

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

And we have other boards to visit for that info....
as for your out with friends...you are correct you with friends that is when you discuss your other things on my mind....
Most of the topic is about riding, like that last curve was a real rush....like I said it could be just me....

H

·
0 Posts
The board has always been like that. Whats different is that your saturation level is full and when someone used to ask about what tire to buy it got you excited. Now you don't even want to read the post.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dito

I agree just make it more logical to navigate to what you want to read.
A "General Motorcylce" for just that and right below it a "coffee shop" to discuss everything else.
Just a repetitive thought.

Back to work 'til Friday then off to Disney with wife and kids and leave the virtual world behind awhile. (I'll likely do some actual riding as well!)

Steve
Coffee shop post option, then I can talk about motorcycle related topic under the "motorcycle" Link...
thanks Steve...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great point....

The board has always been like that. Whats different is that your saturation level is full and when someone used to ask about what tire to buy it got you excited. Now you don't even want to read the post.
Thanks, I may have nailed that one for me. I may be way beyond my saturation point.

:thumbup:

More patience I should have...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Here's a few examples

www.fjrforum.com well orgainized site. Not all of the forums there are displayed until you register.

www.sport-touring.net another well organized site for those passionate about everything motorcylce. Front page quote "Home of triple digit sightseeing"
841274 Posts in 34587 Topics by 11131 Members

www.advrider.com - a great website with incredible pictures. Mostly as the name implies for the adventure riding crowd but great reading. You may find me on there someday with a GSA or KLR running around fireroads.
I often just let my browser sit at the main page and let all the great photos cycle.
As I speak on a Friday morning at 1130a.m. there are:
Online: 2859 (1244 adventurers and 1615 lurkers)

www.Pashnit.com - I just found this from a recent link here.

Steve

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
:agree:

It happens on every board. I will say that there is more activity on this board than any other GL1800 only board out there.

As I post there are:
Online Users: 552 263 members and 289 guests

I just looked at another GL1800 board and there are:
In total there are 7 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

So good luck on finding another board that is more active or has more information about the GL1800 than this one.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
We finally said all that can be said about which oil is best. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
So much info has been dispersed to the board, that now you can go to the more technical portions of the site to get that info. And thanks to Fred's videos, you can get it there. :bow: JMHO

·
Registered
855 Posts
www.fjrforum.com well orgainized site. Not all of the forums there are displayed until you register.

www.sport-touring.net another well organized site for those passionate about everything motorcylce. Front page quote "Home of triple digit sightseeing"
841274 Posts in 34587 Topics by 11131 Members

www.advrider.com - a great website with incredible pictures. Mostly as the name implies for the adventure riding crowd but great reading. You may find me on there someday with a GSA or KLR running around fireroads.
As I speak on a Friday morning at 1130a.m. there are:
Online: 2859 (1244 adventurers and 1615 lurkers)

www.Pashnit.com - I just found this from a recent link here.

Steve
Be carefull going to Pashnit. com . After about 5 minutes of his videos you'll want to run out and buy a Hayabusa !! (I've been there many times) :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have been around here for about 5 years and I think it's about the best board around if you enjoy riding and reading about the GL1800. You sure can't find a magazine with more information then what you can find here. I find this site to be very interisting yet after 5 years.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is very little, if anything, wrong with this board. It is well run and very healthy!

G

·
0 Posts
Shield hijack !

Jeff, what type of shield is on your bike & is it adjustable ? Thanks.. Bill

1 - 20 of 68 Posts