GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding motorcycles for well over 40 years now, and have ridden all kinds of bikes and all brands, both on road and off. Did a stint on sport bikes for years and loved it, standards have graced my garage, and cruisers filled the need for air through the hair after I moved to the high deserts of New Mexico. My wife has always been my riding partner and has loved riding on almost everything that I have owned. I love my wife because she does not complain about a cramped passenger seat, sore bum, or turbulence. The only time she ever expressed a desire to not ride on a bike was when I had a KTM 990 Adventure and we had a front tire blow out at 70 mph. I didn't drop the bike, thanks to my dirt bike riding experience, but it definately scared her to the point where she feared the bike. So I gladly got rid of the KTM because I wanted her to be with me on my bike.

Recently I decided that it was time to get something that my wife would be super comfortable on. I decided that it was time to put her before me when it came to a bike purchase. I had always heard that the GL1800 was the most comfortable mount for a passenger, and the rider was pampered too.

My response to Goldwing ownership had always been "I'll never be old enough for a Goldwing." I stood behind that for years, but decided that this was not about me, but about the wife, so I searched and found a well taken care of pre-owned 03 GL1800.

Of course the wife loves the comfort. I find the engine to be impressive, the suspension capable, and the fit and finish to be quality. But, unfortunately I have to say......this bike has no soul. It is boring to me as the pilot, unchallenging, and has no character. Of course that is my opinion alone, not a characterization of the GL1800, only the way I feel about it.

I think this is the first bike that I have owned that I didn't immediately go to the catalogs to add my personal flavor to the bike. It is the first bike that I haven't stood out in the garage and stared at in lust and wonder. I don't go out and sit on it just to get the feel. I personally don't care if the wife doesn't want to go riding some weekends. It just does not tickle me, at all.

But, again, this is about my best friend, my riding partner, my wife. She loves it so I will not state to her how I feel. I will look at the GL as her bike and I am the chauffer.

Unfortunately I am approaching my date of my second retirement so the purchase of a second bike is just not in the cards right now. So, as sad as it is, I will just motor on, in boredom, hoping that someday soon she will say "this bike is boring", at which time I will jump for joy and begin the hunt anew.

This post is not meant to demean the GL1800 as it is an impressive mount. I just needed to voice my feelings somewhere, without making my friend, my wife, feel bad.

Thanks for listening (reading).:neutral:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Your wife is a lucky woman.. The bike will grow on you. ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh no here we go with the 'no soul' argument. Its a machine they don't have any soul. You either like it or you don't , you obviously don't.

I think the Wing is the best bike I have ever owned but I thought the same thing about every bike I owned. I love the way a big bike like this can feel so light when I am riding it. I love the comfort that this bike has. I love the way it glides down the road in quiet comfort, listening to the tunes .

I do wish insurance rates were better around here so I could have 2 bikes, it would be nice to have a more minimalist bike to putt around town on.

Good luck I hope you find the bike you want.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
..... I have to say......this bike has no soul. It is boring to me as the pilot, unchallenging, and has no character.
Bike with a soul, character? Are you some kind of a hippie beatnick poet or someting? Where I come from only living things have a soul. Machines are machines and you may or may not admire their composition, appearance, performance, efficiency and utility.

And....long ago I learned that chrome does not make the bike ride any better, is pure waste of money and polishing it just takes away from riding time, so forget about running to catalogs to "personalize".

After riding for over 50 years, I too was waiting to get old before I got my wing, 2008 for my 69th birthday. I shouda done that earlier, but Goldwings are for old geezers. And when I can no longer ride a Wing, I will not trike or side car it.....I will go Rooski with the Ural.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, how special that you came here to tell us that.
Please, if you are going to quote, quote the entire section so that it has the correct interpretation. That section read:

"......this bike has no soul. It is boring to me as the pilot, unchallenging, and has no character. Of course that is my opinion alone, not a characterization of the GL1800, only the way I feel about it. "

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Of course that is my opinion alone......... only the way I feel about it. "
We hope so, this is what this board is all about.....express your opinion and divulge your innermost feelings. It is like a confession booth. Now...don't you feel better about the $22,000 you just spent or should the tag line read "Buyers Remorse" instead of "What Have I Done"?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We hope so, this is what this board is all about.....express your opinion and divulge your innermost feelings. It is like a confession booth. Now...don't you feel better about the $22,000 you just spent or should the tag line read "Buyers Remorse" instead of "What Have I Done"?
Actually I was smarter than that. I was not sure I would like a Goldwing so I hunted for a well taken care of, low mileage pre-owned and got into it for much less than NADA.

I do have a second bike for my adrenaline fix but it is definately not a bike for two up riding.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Wow, is this a discussion about expressing "one's inner self" and "getting in touch with your deepest emotions?"

I wonder what Oprah's opinion of Goldwings is(or was)? Did she ever conduct a one hour program about Goldwing ownership?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, is this a discussion about expressing "one's inner self" and "getting in touch with your deepest emotions?"

I wonder what Oprah's opinion of Goldwings is(or was)? Did she ever conduct a one hour program about Goldwing ownership?
Actually Jeffrey turned it into that with his attempts at being a smart ass. Sorry Jeffrey just "my opinion".:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Actually Jeffrey turned it into that with his attempts at being a smart ass. Sorry Jeffrey just "my opinion".:22yikes:

Sorry, I read somewhere that Oprah cancelled her show. But...on a more relevant note....did you know that if Oprah married Deepak Choprah her name would be Oprah Choprah? And that is NOT my opinion....that would be a FACT. And....one thing you need not apologize for, or add "my opinion". As I said before - that is what this board is about...lots of opinions sprinkled with facts, some true, some figments of imagination and misunderstandings of history.

·
Registered
907 Posts
No I can see his point. The last bike I have before the wing was a VTX that I had chopped and repainted, it was a one of a kind.

The Wing just doesn't lend itself to that kind of modification.

Now you can repaint and pinstripe to no end and I've seen some really great looking artwork on a Wing.

Me I like the pure unadorned look and the sense of power..

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I'm not going to take a shot at you,But I'm sure that after all those bike you've ridden you would of known that each and every bike had it's good and bad points,And you as a rider of experience you learned how to deal with them.

I was a faringless rider way before they came out with Vetter fairings and then Honda saw it was losing money,and started making their own on wings in 83..

I will hit on just wings for now.Just like the first Honda faired wing in 83.The 1200/1500/1800 each one of them handled so much different as well as looked so different too.
Did they all have no soul as you put it?. Well that is all up to personal interpetation..

Each Goldwing I owned had Personality.each was entirely different.I could do things with one bike that just couldn't do with it's predecessor because of it's different personality.

Trust me take the wing out on your favorite roads and have at it.While it is no cruiser or sport bike that can lean waaaaaaay over.it can lean and you can play on it just fine,and if you give it enough credit,you will crap your pants a time or two-
But remember "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly" and you too will learn that this isn't your fathers goldwing.

I wish you well as you & the bike become one who enjoy each other.:bow:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Rocky. Your post clearly showed that you actually read my entire post instead of just skimming it then responded to those areas that caused you hot spots.

I agree, and stated such, that the Wing is a hell of a bike, for what is designed for. If I were in a situation where me and the wife were both retired, I had no family obligations, and didn't have multiple dogs that require our care, the wife and I would spend many comfortable, high mileage multi days on the Wing. That is what it is made for afterall. And I think it would do it well and faithfully.

I have come to realize that I prefer day trips, both long and short and the Wing is like taking a bazooka to a knife fight for me.

But, as long as the wife enjoys it, I will keep it. Afterall, as I stated, I bought it for her. I have had my toys and have another bike in the garage that I can play on. When the day comes when we can disappear for long multi-day trips, I will love the Wing. Just came to realize that this is not the time in my life for one. Just not practical, or fun at this time.

I am afraid that the Wing will be like many peoples' RV. It will sit in the garage, or driveway most of the time, and occasionally get taken out for a romp. Just won't be my daily driver. Thank goodness I have no payments on it, and elected to go with a pre-owned instead of new. Then buyers remorse would be the correct subject for this thread.:lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, I read somewhere that Oprah cancelled her show. But...on a more relevant note....did you know that if Oprah married Deepak Choprah her name would be Oprah Choprah? And that is NOT my opinion....that would be a FACT. And....one thing you need not apologize for, or add "my opinion". As I said before - that is what this board is about...lots of opinions sprinkled with facts, some true, some figments of imagination and misunderstandings of history.

Uh.....thanks...I think. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts