GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I had a loose connection on my led lights that were connected to my front turn signals. I decided to solder the wires together. First one went well
Second one , I left the key on the on position a big mistake. My lights went out along with my radio. Now when I turn on the key lights will go dim then out. So I know it's not a fuse. Where should I start looking. I'm sick in my stomach.馃ぎ

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I had a loose connection on my led lights that were connected to my front turn signals. I decided to solder the wires together. First one went well
Second one , I left the key on the on position a big mistake. My lights went out along with my radio. Now when I turn on the key lights will go dim then out. Nothing works it will not crank. Key off then back on lights light up then goes dim and out again
So I know it's not a fuse. Where should I start looking. I'm sick in my stomach.馃ぎ
Also it will

Registered
Second one , I left the key on the on position a big mistake. My lights went out along with my radio. Now when I turn on the key lights will go dim then out. So I know it's not a fuse. Where should I start looking. I'm sick in my stomach.馃ぎ
If you are certain that the wires were supposed to be connected, I doubt soldering them harmed anything. My first thought is you drained the battery by leaving the key on. Test and charge the battery. HTH.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
If you are certain that the wires were supposed to be connected, I doubt soldering them harmed anything. My first thought is you drained the battery by leaving the key on. Test and charge the battery. HTH.
You are exactly right. My wife knows nothing about mechanics she said maybe it's the battery. So I put a charge on it. She was right and so are you. Dummy me.

Registered
Well I'm pleased it was that easy but for info you need to be careful with mains supply soldering irons, many irons have leakage currents easily capable of killing electronic components. If you suspect this but need to solder something, get the iron close to the work then disconnect it from the mains and solder quickly before the iron loses heat.
Google 'soldering iron and mains leakage currents', you may be surprised how common a problem this is.

Anyway, kudos to your wife and dtredwing. (y)

Registered
Well I'm pleased it was that easy but for info you need to be careful with mains supply soldering irons, many irons have leakage currents easily capable of killing electronic components. If you suspect this but need to solder something, get the iron close to the work then disconnect it from the mains and solder quickly before the iron loses heat.
Google 'soldering iron and mains leakage currents', you may be surprised how common a problem this is.

Anyway, kudos to your wife and dtredwing. (y)
I have my doubts. Some soldering pencils have GROUNDED tips, and you dare not use them on LIVE MAINS operating circuits, and some cheaper soldering pencils MIGHT have AC leakage current, but working on a NON-MAINS connected motorcycle floating above ground on rubber should present no issues (presuming battery not on a mains operated tender or charger). I have worked as and managed electronics technicians for 45+ years of my career and this is my 2 cents worth......IF you are on wet concrete and truly worried about this, put a rubber pad under the MC stand to eliminate that potential path to ground, but again, have never seen any evidence of such a problem.

Registered
I always used a Weller Controlled Temperature soldering iron, the temperature is controlled by the tip you insert into the barrel.

all of them that I have owned, are isolated from the 3rd prong of the cord. In fact, they all have a 2 wire plug.

IIRC, I have 3 of them, 25w, 50w, and 75w

I always used 450* low temp solder, multicore

Registered
Interesting. Just measured my Weller WTCPL temperature controlled pencil and it has a solid 142.8 ohms from tip to 3rd prong (USA 120VAC)....I always knew that I had learned hard way to not use it on hot circuitry.....wonder what the 142 ohms is all about?

Registered
Has anybody ever used liquid solder ? I just googled it for fun and it actually exists.
One of our "less promising" students back in HS Electrical shop in the late 60's assembled a Heathkit Power Supply using Elmers Glue.... I kid you not........The expression on the teacher's face was priceless....

Registered
Some of us are showing our age. I have one of their power supplies in my shop right now.
Cool......
Heathkit electronics kits weren't cheap but it was fun to assemble and was quality stuff.
I really wanted to build a TV back then, but couldn't afford it.

Little thread drift here, but it's fun to reminisce about cool stuff from the past.

Registered
Cool......
Heathkit electronics kits weren't cheap but it was fun to assemble and was quality stuff.
I really wanted to build a TV back then, but couldn't afford it.

Little thread drift here, but it's fun to reminisce about cool stuff from the past.
I lusted after the AR-15 Stereo Receiver kit in HS...no way I could afford...

Registered
And to think that after all this time, Canada wants to ban the AR-15. Sheesh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts