GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been cought in all kinds of weather - the worst was a sand storm for about 10 miles could not see 100 yds - most of the I try to stay away from trucks but stayed along side one for 4-5 miles - thought the wind was going to blow me off the road

· Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Tornado with hail....and wind of course....found shelter real fast...
Kansas wind is not much better....:eek:4:

· Registered
833 Posts
Snow, two or three times over the years.

· Registered
192 Posts
Hail,last summer, 1/2 to 1" in diameter and no place I could stop. It only lasted for a mile or two, but it sure hurt on my arms and neck. heavy rain first, then hail and then it all just stopped and the sun came out. I guess I drove right through it.

· Registered
645 Posts
Tornado,heavy rains at night for about 100 miles
got off checked into a room that's when I found out
the bad weather i was in, the wind wasn't that bad
but talk about some hard rain :eek:4:

· Registered
106 Posts
Last June going home from work I got in a hail storm. Golf ball size hail, rain hard enough not even the cages could drive in and when I tried getting off the wind was wanting to tip the bike over so I just held on for 15 minutes. Had bruises on my left leg and a little on the back and shoulders. The mesh jacket with body armor did a good job.

· Registered
296 Posts
Got caught in a hard rain coming home from Colorado. Lasted 13 hrs. Must of been on top of us all the way home. The last 5 hrs was dark.

Got caught in a small tornado in Oklahoma. We rode thru it :shock:

Snow in Colorado:eek:

We got caught in a parade coming thru a small town in western Oklahoma, that was fun. Nobody blocked the streets, they let us ride thru.:shrug:

· Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
hmmm there have been many. But, I guess the worst three were:
1. Hail storm kicked up on us real quick while we were racing to get home. No helmets, no jackets. Man, that sh1t HURTS!!! hahaha
2. Rode about 45-50 miles home at 3 a.m. from my buddy's bar in the snow on the sport bike. No heated clothing. Gauntlets, joe rocket riding jacket, fleece underneath, jeans and boots. Boy, that was a cold ride. Stopped about 1/2 way to warm up in the parking lot of a closed down gas station. Talked to a cop that pulled up for about 15 minutes. He got a kick out of it.
3. Got a call from some friends out racing about 60+ miles west of where my buddy and I were for a party. He said "get your a$$ home FAST or get the bikes in the garage. They were having issues even getting their race bikes into trailers. Well, we decided to try and beat it. Didn't happen. Rode 40 or so miles in a downpour you could hardly see in.

· Registered
747 Posts
Two years ago going south on I75 just north of Fort Myers I could see a solid black mass of clouds comming north right at me. Tried to get to an exit or even an underpass, but didn't make it. The rain made it impossible for any traffic to move and I could see the lightning bolts striking the trees one after another coming towards me. I pulled the bike off the innerstate, the wind was blowing so hard, I had to lay the bike on its side. Did not want to sit under a tree, so I sat in the bushes while it passed. Lots of lightning, wind and rain. The flash and the bang of two of the lightning strikes were simultaneous. That really gets your attention. One needs to hang out in South Florida to understand just how violent some of those summer storms can be. Those of us who live here know to be careful, however I was caught in an isolated area that was a long distance between exits and overpasses. Some times it's just not your day. Scared: you betcha-enough not to care one bit about the rain.

· Registered
20,601 Posts
Good question!

I will limit to the one weather condition that sticks out in my mind the most. I was doing an Iron Butt Border to Border from Mexico(Nueve Laredo) to Winipeg Canada Labor Day 2005. I had just got my wing. No highway bars, CB, supension upgrades or improved electronics yet or GPS. a stock bike. The goal was to do the 1800 miles in under 36 hours. About 35 bikes started, 2 had crashes. And anout 15 were certified. I made it in about 33 hours and that was with a 6 hour hotel stay(I had to stop being tired and sleepy) It was 100 degrees leaving Mexico. Hot thru Texas, no rain, bad traffic in FtWorth. No weather until South Dakota. Very heavy winds(50 mph) I had to stop on an underpass for a hour and light rain followed by 2" of hail. I just followed the truck tracks thru the hail to make it through. I heard later that a tornado had gone through although I did not see one. It got down to about 39 degrees at night that last part of the ride. And I was wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. It was damn cold in the summer, I did not have a heavier jacket. What I did to stay warm was put on an extra shirt and my Frogg Toggs under my jacket and jeans. That kept me warm. I mailed my dirty clothers back to my home via UPS and bought clean ones vs washing them(lol) This was actually my first Iron Butt.

· Registered
977 Posts
2 up, straight across several miles of open bay marsh, with steady 50 MPH sidewinds.

I was constantly leaned VERY far over. I was afraid, if the wind suddenly stopped, I would go onto the downside crash bar, before I could recover upright.

· Registered
1,457 Posts
Well not exactly caught in, more like put myself in. 6 inches of snow in NC mtns on the Cherohala Skyway. I left GA on a Sunday morining in Jan. for ride and ended up in NC mtns. I decided to go on the skyway thinking if there's any snow or ice (likely at over 5000ft) that I'd just turn around.
Well there was and I didn't. I ended up riding though snow & ice for over 30 miles. I saw a couple of 4x4s playing and they looked at me like :22yikes:
I prayed that if I made it w/o going down I'd use better judgement next time. My bike looked like a car from the Northeast when I got down and I was exhausted.
That and riding though some very, very heavy rain/thunderstorms when I should have pulled over.

Steve

· Registered
1,886 Posts
One I got caught in a lesbian bar in Key West. They were have a mud wrestling contest. It was very dangerous standing right beside the edge of the pit. I was covered from head to to with splattered mud. I didn't think I was ever going to get out of there. :shock:

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Snow! No pics. Not my favorite ride, but I wasn't going to stay at work several days until it melted. Only took me about an hour longer than the usual hour plus.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
Heavy snow in late June in the Donner Pass. Took 8 hours to get 40 miles as we had to head south and come back up to the highway.

· Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
hail storm in the middle of iowa bringing my o6 wing home for the first time

ice storm in yellowstone, oh was that fun

the hardest rain i could imagine in texas, so much water on the hiway, it blew my feet off the pegs

fog/clouds on the teli-mena trail last year, and no i couldnt see the line in the road, it was that bad

rain/fog on the skyway a couple years ago, i thought i was in texas with that rain, that was a very long couple hours to get down off the hills

wind blowing dirt off the fields in wyoming, the wing was listing 25 degress to port that day, and got a little free sandblasting

i guess if i would have stayed home a little more, this crap wouldnt happen

· Registered
243 Posts
Sleet on the top of Talimina Drive. Felt like little needles and a total body acupuncture. Torrencial downpour with 40-60 mph winds coming from every direction. Rode through it for an hour because it was too dangerous to pull off the road.

· Registered
20,601 Posts
One I got caught in a lesbian bar in Key West. They were have a mud wrestling contest. It was very dangerous standing right beside the edge of the pit. I was covered from head to to with splattered mud. I didn't think I was ever going to get out of there. :shock:
When this happens just make yourself the meat in the sandwich:yes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.