GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I put a CT on the bike this past weekend...Here's what I noticed after riding 800+ miles for those who are on the fence in going to the dark side....(Go...Go...Go...)

1) The bike is more stable

2) Tire gripped the road in both dry and wet conditions

3) The rear tire does steer the bike a little...you need to turn more to get the bike to turn...for me it was just leaning more and getting use to it...about 50 miles...now don't even know its on the back end (from a positive perspective)

4) Slight little snap when really leaning the bike and bringing it back up....but again very very slight...after 5-6 corners you don't even notice it any more

5) I had my tire at 36 psi....it was firmer and did not roll like some say...I will try a lower poundage this week to see the difference

6) I leaned the bike pretty good...had a hard time scraping the floor boards...thus the tire must raise the bike up an inch or two...(wish I would have measured the bike before putting on the CT) I like the extra height...was tired of scraping the floor boards (have nothing left)

7) Not dissappointed in the CT at all...worth the effort....recommend if you are on the fence to do it.....

Safe Rides.....

·
DSI Keeper
9,183 Posts
Nice write up there Lab!

On number 3, what I think you have learned more is counter steering. You know, pushing the handle bar grip in the direction you want to go. I.E. push left, turn left. With CT's, it requires slightly more pressure on the grip to steer it.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Good report. Thanks. If you are running the 195/55-16 Kumho ECSTA SPT, it didn't raise you bike very much, if any....maybe 1/4". At least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: good write up there Lab Rider!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice write up there Lab!

On number 3, what I think you have learned more is counter steering. You know, pushing the handle bar grip in the direction you want to go. I.E. push left, turn left. With CT's, it requires slightly more pressure on the grip to steer it.
:agree::agree::agree:

·
IronMan
17,802 Posts
its just the big grin on your face catching more air so you have to deflect a little more enjoy the ride

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:congrats: Nice report!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
As most of you know I put a CT on the bike this past weekend...Here's what I noticed after riding 800+ miles for those who are on the fence in going to the dark side....(Go...Go...Go...)

1) The bike is more stable

2) Tire gripped the road in both dry and wet conditions

3) The rear tire does steer the bike a little...you need to turn more to get the bike to turn...for me it was just leaning more and getting use to it...about 50 miles...now don't even know its on the back end (from a positive perspective)

4) Slight little snap when really leaning the bike and bringing it back up....but again very very slight...after 5-6 corners you don't even notice it any more

5) I had my tire at 36 psi....it was firmer and did not roll like some say...I will try a lower poundage this week to see the difference

6) I leaned the bike pretty good...had a hard time scraping the floor boards...thus the tire must raise the bike up an inch or two...(wish I would have measured the bike before putting on the CT) I like the extra height...was tired of scraping the floor boards (have nothing left)

7) Not dissappointed in the CT at all...worth the effort....recommend if you are on the fence to do it.....

Safe Rides.....
8. Increase speeding tickets :twisted:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Perhaps at 36 PSI (which I would consider to be on the highside for a RF...especially solo), the tire is not "squishing" (is that a word. :lol:) as much when leaned over. This may mean the tire retains its shape (resists deforming and staying flat on the ground like it does at lower psi) and when he leans over and the tire "climbs up on the edge siping" he actually gains a little more clearance over the rounder MT.

I've not noticed any additional ground clearance but I'm running my Kumho at 28-30 psi so I got more "squish". ;) Got squish? :shrug:

Good report. Thanks. If you are running the 195/55-16 Kumho ECSTA SPT, it didn't raise you bike very much, if any....maybe 1/4". At least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My opinion is expressed herein

Nice write up there Lab!

Disclaimer: I have a GL1500 that I run Double Darkside.

I think what he feels is accurate -

"3) The rear tire does steer the bike a little...you need to turn more to get the bike to turn..."

At least I feel like it too...I know about counter steering ...But what I experience (feel) is just a slight "PUSH"(racing term?) from the rear tire...Not bad..just different and a new learned experience.

That is how I describe it anyway....:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The tire, a RF with 36psi, will give a smidge more ground clearance in turns, but probably not enough to make a diff.

If you can't drag your boards.....you just need to go faster......:lol: :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts