GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yup, that's my grinning Linda sitting in a Stallion trike in our driveway! I woke her from a nap to tell her that her present was outside and waiting for her. All she could say after going for a ride was "Wheeee!" It woke her up too! :lol:

This thing rocks! It's one of first the factory prototypes so little things don't work like the trunk never got cut out but it's great fun the way it is.

The present was that I arranged to have the prototype delivered to the house for a personal inspection and test ride, plus the offer to buy her one if she really liked it.

There's a lot of changes to the production version that didn't make it to their website the last time I checked.

• * The passenger seat is moved back an extra 4"
    * the passenger seat is designed more like the one on the GL1800
    * It has a driver backrest
    * It has a third headlight just above the nose vent
    * It has electrically adjustable brake and gas pedals to adjust for different leg lengths
    * The turn signals moved up to the mirrors as on the GL1800
    * It has power brakes (one of the test drivers broke his nose with the power brakes... 60mph to 0 takes 100 feet)
    * it has a seat belt option
    * the hump behind the engine (just under the dash) is 4" narrower
    * It's a tossup right now whether it'll have an aircraft type reinforced step on the running boards, or a mini door to aid entry and exiting. At the moment, it's difficult to get in when the passenger is already mounted.

Even on this prototype, the engineering is fantastic. It has a welded NASCAR type tubular steel frame and a lever front suspension. Even without the backrest, the driver seat is very comfortable, and the wrap around windshield offers a LOT of protection from the elements (perhaps too much for a motorcyclist.) A six foot tall driver doesn't even get his hair mussed driving it at 60mph.

BTW, I was wrong. The engine isn't under the hump the driver sits on. It's up under the dash. DANG that's a tight fit.

I think that this will be a big seller and get a lot of car people to buy it. When you get in, everything is where it'd be in a car... gas on the right, brake on the left, standard steering wheel with headlights, turn signal etc on the stalk on the left, tilt wheel lever below it, ignition on the column, cruise controls embedded in the wheel.

1600 pounds, 155HP twin cam four cylinder engine, 5 speed automatic, 0-60 faster than a stock Vette (4.6 seconds I think.) Doesn't have a LOT of low end torque but will certainly leave a LONG strip of rubber from a stop if you stomp on it. (Needs posi-traction.)

At a recent track day in Texas, most sports cars (Vettes, Porches, Ferraris, etc.) were turning in lap times of around 49 seconds. The test driver on the Stallion says he didn't even push it 100% (maybe 80%) and got lap times of 46 seconds, primarily due to how it handles in the curves.

Looks like sometime next year, we'll have a Stallion in the stable.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Is the price as nice looking?

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
thanks but no thanks...not for me...I'd just as soon ride my Wing CSC trike or drive my Audi TT...to each his own...enjoy!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, to each their own.

The price isn't bad when you compare it to the cost of a new Goldwing + trike conversion, and it's cheaper than a number of HD trike conversions.

I figure they'll attract more car people to it than bike people. Linda disagrees and says that wives of riders will love it because it's stable (trike), looks nice and is an automatic with everything where they're used to it. (gas on the right, brake on the left and a steering wheel, etc.)

Wouldn't mind commuting in one but it's not a bike in my book. When/if we get one, it'll be for here. (She already said that she'd let me drive it from time to time. :wink: ).

The good news is that I'd be able to trike out my '02. I'm having serious knee problems and honestly don't know how long much longer I can safely ride a bike due to little strength in my knee for holding the bike upright at a stop. Up til now I've resisted triking mine because I'd lose it to Linda. :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
I looked at the Stallion at W.O.T.S. and while it does have 3 wheels like a trike and it may have to be licensed as a motorcycle because it has less than 4 wheels and I do think it is really cool, I wouldn't consider it a trike. It is more a open roadster that just happens to have 3 wheels. It is much more car than trike.

As a matter of fact the ONLY commonalities between the Stallion and a "Trike" is the 3 wheels and the fore and aft seating. In every other aspect it is a car.

I wouldn't mind having one for fun, but I would much rather have my real trike.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
beastie said:
As a matter of fact the ONLY commonalities between the Stallion and a "Trike" is the 3 wheels and the fore and aft seating. In every other aspect it is a car.
I think there's one more commonality that you missed... both are fun as hell to ride! The grin factor is HUGE. :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rick - Just curious.

Is a tow package available with the Stallion? (Light duty trailers like the Bunkhouse and similar ones.)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sk8ter said:
Rick - Just curious.

Is a tow package available with the Stallion? (Light duty trailers like the Bunkhouse and similar ones.)
Yup, from what I'm told, a factory hitch is stock.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
I've been looking for a trike to fill that extra space in my garage. I think I've decided on the Carver One. Here are some links:
I've seen the Carver videos on TV. Looks pretty cool and the leaning actually looks like fun. But at $38,000 to $51,000 I think I'll pass. If I was to spend that much on a super trike, I'd go with the Stallion: Costs 25% less than the base Carver, over twice the horsepower, same or better fuel economy and American made. But that's just me. :wink: I like choices!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Rick, I doubt you have visited the MotorTrike factory. It's about 40 miles from me. It is the cleanest, spotless mfg. biz., you will have ever seen. Very impressive. Vey, the owner (think that's his name) is an impressive and enthusiastic guy. If you get the chance, it would impress you to see his operation (based in a little town) of no more than 3-5000 folks.

Hopes it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you want a "muscle" trike, check this out. Saw the owner of the company on this trike in Hot Springs, Ark. at a rally couple weeks ago.

www.kopavitrikes.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you have to break with your left foot, that would be a big problem for me. Maybe there is room to move your right foot over to break, any one know? I've seen this machine and I can tell you it's really neat. I can't wait to sit in it.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
v8capt said:
If you have to break with your left foot, that would be a big problem for me. Maybe there is room to move your right foot over to break, any one know? I've seen this machine and I can tell you it's really neat. I can't wait to sit in it.
Capt Bob

Nope! you have it right.
GO right,
Stop Left

I think it would be a problem for me also. They teach two feet driving now I think but I cant seem to get the hang of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts