GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought two MP3 players in recent years and still don't have one. Anyone care to guess how many kids I have???

Anyhow, they're both off the payroll (mine) now and out earning some really good money and I wondered if I ought to put an MP3 player on my Christmas list. On my Goldwing, obviously, I have AM & FM but not on my VTX. I actually do listen to some AM talk stuff sometimes so AM might be nice, too. Any suggestions on a good MP3 for my situation or should I just go for some nice clothes or something? What do you think? Thanks! :D

EDIT: typo

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Gary,
I believe the wind noise while on yor VTX will prevent your hearing the MP3 player without some kind of amplifier. However, there are many MP3 players out there that will work nicely with the Wing.

I have a Garmin zumo on the way and it has an MP3 player in it. That's a little expensive to get MP3s, but the GPS will be fun as well.

If you don't want to go that route, I like this one:
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Product ... px?ID=1940

It holds a whole bunch of music and has the expandability of Micro SD cards. You won't run out of music with this baby.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
VTX wise I would go with a Ipod because of the available accessories or look at one of the new mp3 player from Microsoft, name escapes me now..also Two Wheel Tunes is a great setup for the VTX

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts
I would recommend you get the new 2nd Generation 8gb Ipod Nano.

The Ipod Nano is based on flash memory so you won't have any vibration issues. With the 8gb model you should be able to get all the music you would need on it.

The hard drive based Ipods sometimes lock up due to vibration and I ruined the hard drive on one using it on the bike. The hard drive units can be used if left in the pocket on foam, but even then, they may still lock up occasionally.

I own two Ipod hard drive models (40gb and 20gb) and one of the new 2nd Generation 8gb Nanos. I really like the new Nano. It also runs much longer on a single battery charge (24 hours!)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Fred H. said:
I would recommend you get the new 2nd Generation 8gb Ipod Nano.

The Ipod Nano is based on flash memory so you won't have any vibration issues. With the 8gb model you should be able to get all the music you would need on it.

The hard drive based Ipods sometimes lock up due to vibration and I ruined the hard drive on one using it on the bike. The hard drive units can be used if left in the pocket on foam, but even then, they may still lock up occasionally.

I own two Ipod hard drive models (40gb and 20gb) and one of the new 2nd Generation 8gb Nanos. I really like the new Nano. It also runs much longer on a single battery charge (24 hours!)
I second the 8GB Nano. My wife Jeannette just got one and it is the same tiny size as the 4GB and no moving parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the new 4 GB nano that I use on my VTX and I have cobra pipes. Right now I am just using it with the buds that come with it and they are absolutely fine even at highway speeds and I dont have it cranked up.

The battery life on these new ones is great!

·
Registered
135 Posts
IPOD SHUFFLE - 1 GIG

I HAVE THE IPOD SHUFFLE 1 GIG, ITS A NO NONSENCE, SIMPLE TO OPERATE PLAYER, 240 SONGS, ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PACK OF GUM. PUT IT IN YOUR LEFT SIDE STORAGE PRESS ONE BUTTON AND LET-R-RIP. BE SURE TO MAX THE VOLUME ON PLAYER, THEN ADJUST ON M/C VOLUME CONTROL. PLENTY ON E-BAY UNDER 100.00. ITS AN APPLE, ( IT WORKS )

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a $100.00 ilo from walmart. It has a fm radio in it unlike the ipod and is 1gig. I use it on the wing for the mp3 songs and at the Y and cutting grass and other things. Bought $20 buds from best buy and seems to work great.(Haven't worn them on the wing.) I believe wind noise would depend on the helmet you wear. 3/4 1/2 or full.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
would recommend you get the new 2nd Generation 8gb Ipod Nano. -ditto

Or heck get the $79 Worlds Smallest IPod 1GB I but it has only room for 250 songs

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recently got a Creative Labs Zen Vision M, 30 gig capacity, (15,000 songs) and think it is great, also holds pictures and video and has a FM reciever in it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
laen said:

Or heck get the $79 Worlds Smallest IPod 1GB I but it has only room for 250 songs
ONLY 250 songs?
Well.. 250 times approx. 3 minutes per song is 750 minutes. Thats 12.5 hours of music minimum.
By the time you heared the last song, you already forgot whatever the first song was.
:lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
GoldWing_ed said:
laen said:

ONLY 250 songs?
Well.. 250 times approx. 3 minutes per song is 750 minutes. Thats 12.5 hours of music minimum.
By the time you heared the last song, you already forgot whatever the first song was.
:lol:
Thats what Im talking about, I can ride all day and not hear the same song twice with 1 gig. Put it on random play and let her rip, unless it randomly choses the same song twice before you here them all, which can happen with all of them, no matter what size.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to let everyone know how this bottomed out. The best deal I could find was on a 2GB Sandisk Sansa e250 for $110 delivered. It was the price range I wanted to be in and had FM (I didn't find any with AM). While opinions varied on what I'd need for storage, this one gave me 2GB for the same money as a lot of the 1GB players.

Today, I decided to do one last search to make sure I'd found a good deal and then, just out of curiousity, I decided to see how much more the next model up (4GB e260) would cost. I was elated to find those at $115 net delivered after a $30 store rebate. While I'm not sure that I'll even fill 2GB (or even one), I liked the idea of 2GB more storage for only $5 more so that's the one I put on my Christmas list today.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I wanted to let everyone know how this bottomed out. The best deal I could find was on a 2GB Sandisk Sansa e250 for $110 delivered. It was the price range I wanted to be in and had FM (I didn't find any with AM). While opinions varied on what I'd need for storage, this one gave me 2GB for the same money as a lot of the 1GB players.

Today, I decided to do one last search to make sure I'd found a good deal and then, just out of curiousity, I decided to see how much more the next model up (4GB e260) would cost. I was elated to find those at $115 net delivered after a $30 store rebate. While I'm not sure that I'll even fill 2GB (or even one), I liked the idea of 2GB more storage for only $5 more so that's the one I put on my Christmas list today.

I'm with Rastoff on the choice of MP3 Players. I have the e270 6 gig model, and, after I upgraded the software via their auto software updater, It's been everything I've needed. I like the expandability, however, I've used Music Match to convert all my 192 and 128 bit recordings to 96(?) bit MP3Pro Files. Needless to say, my 1300 songs that used to take up the entire 6 gigs (almost), now takes just over 4 gigs. I got room to spare..... :lol:

If I need more space, like Rastoff said, I can purchase a Micro SD Card, but, I don't think I'll be needing any soon. Nice to have that option, and, as a bonus, the replacement batteries are readily available at your local Walgreens/CVS pharmacy.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
n9frp said:
I'm with Rastoff on the choice of MP3 Players. I have the e270 6 gig model, and, after I upgraded the software via their auto software updater, It's been everything I've needed. I like the expandability, however, I've used Music Match to convert all my 192 and 128 bit recordings to 96(?) bit MP3Pro Files. Needless to say, my 1300 songs that used to take up the entire 6 gigs (almost), now takes just over 4 gigs. I got room to spare..... :lol:

If I need more space, like Rastoff said, I can purchase a Micro SD Card, but, I don't think I'll be needing any soon. Nice to have that option, and, as a bonus, the replacement batteries are readily available at your local Walgreens/CVS pharmacy.
WOW! It sounds like I'll be able to load up 1200+ songs in my 4GB then. :shock: I'm not sure I KNOW 1200 songs. :oops: Good to know the batteries are that easy to come by, too. 8) I shouldn't need to replace the Lithium-Ion battery too often, though, should I?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have the 1G version of the Mobiblu cube.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/09/mobi ... -with-2gb/
It has TONS of features, including voice recording, FM radio, sleep timer, and a great EQ which allows you to put a huge boost into the bass (which gets lost easily on a MC)There are a half dozen presets and a user EQ. You can even alter the presets. Battery life is 6-8 hours. The OLED screen is small and hard to read in the light but it really isn't necessary, you just put it on random/all and let 'er rip! It weight less than 1 oz. and is about a 1 in. cube. My aux connector is located next to the ICom cable on the left pocket door. I just let it hang/lay on the door, it's so light. I have had mine about a year. I had an issue with it, and the company let me send them the unit (I couldn't find the receipt) and they repaired and returned it promptly. I would buy another. Don't buy the knockoff version. It looks the same, but it isn't.There is a 2G version available.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
WOW! It sounds like I'll be able to load up 1200+ songs in my 4GB then. :shock: I'm not sure I KNOW 1200 songs. :oops: Good to know the batteries are that easy to come by, too. 8) I shouldn't need to replace the Lithium-Ion battery too often, though, should I?
The batteries should last a long time. :D

However.....about the 1200 songs: Many of them are for my mom and my kids. When we go on rides, I plug it in and select "Their" Music. They own about 300 of the songs. :wink:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you ride a lot, 12 hours of songs isn't nearly enough. You'll find you get repeats every day so that you're thinking, "I just heard this yesterday." So get the largest memory you can afford. Even better if you can get one that can also use an external plugin secure disk or equivalent. That will give you another 2 or 4 Gig.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Thanks Gary

Cattman said:
Wife ordered mine for Christmas after seeing this article and rebate coupon.
COOL! 8) Glad I could help. I think mine got ordered today, also :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts