GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if, and could you handle this?

As some of you know, I'm in the medical transport business and get to see some sad sights stemming from wars (veteran clients) and accidents of all kinds of men, women and kids
Without turning this post into a gloom and doom of what I experience on a daily basis, I got a question for you GL1800 riders
that take along a passenger in back of your GL1800. Some ride as high as 85% two-up at all times with wife's, kids, girlfriends, brothers, sister's.

Before I get into my question, let me state that I ride 85% alone. When I ride my Goldwing, or transporting clients during rush hour in my medical van, there's always
this question in the back of my mine as to "what if" I'm in a horrible situation were I land in a hospital with months of rehab when and if the big one hits.

When the "what if" strikes, I feel it is my choice alone to ride/dress the way I enjoy the sport of cycling, and hope I can handle any circumstances that might come alone
through practice, attending riding school and just plain awareness of my surroundings.
Sometime I think we get so wrapped in enjoying a good ride, we forget what could happen.

Now here's my question with a twist:

"If the "what if" hits with your loved one on back of your Goldwing,
are you ready to experience them laying in a hospital with miles of tubes hanging from their body,
with some after effects for years to come, just because you want them alone?"

No....... I'm not paranoid of riding, and will never give up my Goldwing.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that gives this any thought.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Makes me think of the movie AIRPLANE!!!

"...They paid their money, bought their tickets."

No I talk to my riders and let them know it is serious and we could go down so keep a look out and be ready. I don't ride like I will crash but am aware I am not invincible either. Good question.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I believe that we are compentent adults and can make our own choices. No one forces anyone to do what they choose to do or not do. If anyone, reguardless of wife, brother, sister or whomever, they make a conscience effort to know what the risks are that are involved.

"IF" it were to happen to my wife or someone that I love, it will be quite tramatic, that is a given. But at the same time are we really the guide of our actions? Meaning there is a higher power that has our destiny in his hands and that no matter what we think or how safe we think we are being, when the time comes is it really up to us? To some extent, we are and I believe that we do all in our power to keep the ones we love are safe.

We could what "IF" this or that all that you want and if you choose to live your life that way, then I truely feel sorry for you.

I try to live each day as it may be my last day here on earth, because as we know....it just might be. No one knows for sure. If we knew what and when that time would present itself, I believe, we all would go crazy just thinking about it.

So live your life as it might be your last day, tell the ones you love how much they mean to you. Play ball with your son or do something nice with your daughter or take your wife to that special place that she wants to go.

Nothing is forever! Count each day as a blessing from the Man above. Because it is!!!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I guess people think about that subject, I do at times. But a crash in your car can be devastating also. I've been in car crashes, motorcycle crashes, airplane crashes, boat crashes......but I feel lucky.....never been in a train crash yet.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
yep, I think about that!!! but let me state that my wife ( TBB ) LOVES TO RIDE with me. If I'm going somewhere on the bike, she WANTS to be with me, on the back and I love having her there.

We ride two up about 95% of the time.

Let me turn the tables on YOU!

if your S.O. doesn't like to ride with you, what do you think she is thinking while your out there all alone. How do you think she will feel while your in the hospital with 2 miles of tubes coming out of you, should something bad happen.

·
Registered
979 Posts
:D I dont think about wrecking on the bike either all it does is make you a paronoid biker and causes you to ride very tenative as well, not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
While on a day ride with a group of other bikers, I was asked, "Why are you riding so slow?"

I just pointed to the young lady that was my passenger and said, "Responsibility." Being responsible for someone elses well being is what slowed me.

When I lead the group I try to keep a reasonable speed and keep an eye on the rider behind me. If it is a small group I try to make sure that the group is still there

I usually take the tailgunner position and stay with the slowest rider. Actually we should never get so strung out that we don't see the rider behind us.

So, yes. I do feel responsible for my passenger. I also feel responsible for the group that I am leading. Finally, I feel responsible for the slowest rider in the group.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
If the "what if" hits with your loved one on back of your Goldwing, are you ready to experience them laying in a hospital with miles of tubes hanging from their body, with some after effects for years to come, just because you what them alone?
I am not prepared to see my co-rider becoming spare parts. I am not prepared to experience road rash or full trauma. We are not prepared to die. I ride to prevent this eventuality. I am not naive, I accept there is a ballistic missile with my name on it, I hope it's time will arrive sometime after my natural demise. faith.

Life as a mushroom is no life at all.

My wife makes a choice to ride with me. She views me as a rebelious geek and married me as-is, where-is, and on what-moves-me. She appreciates the ride (except when temps are beyond 90oF :roll:) and is willing to accept the risk. She has asked me to pull the plug if persistent. We will be cremated in a dignified manner. $1.6M is currently allocated to my six children.
Yahooooooooooo

Edit: In a chilling note, Lyna passed away 2006/10/15, one month after this posting. I had to sign a DNR (pull the plug). Not motorcycle related, her heart just stopped. She loved riding, her last ride was in her urn in the back seat being held by my sister.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
What If ?
I'm not a "What If" type of guy. Kinda loose and I have lived a day at a time for almost 20 years! I realized how short life really was when I was about 35.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
salyzyn said:
$1.6M is currently allocated to my six children
Yahooooooooooo

DAD, were ya been

can I be in the will to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You can't go around wondering " What If ? "...you will drive yourself nuts...Enjoy every ride as if it is your last one !!! Ride like I do..I say that I ride with "four eyes open".....Also I hope that you carry good insurance for your passenger !!! Ride,,Ride safe,,,enjoy the ride,,and don't " WHAT IF " any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I don't want to end up sitting on the front porch saying " gee, I wish I'd have"...and neither does the wife.

Yeah, motorcycle have a risk involved, but so does driving to work each day....can't let that suff keep you from enjoying life, might as well end it then, don't want to sit inside and stay safe.....

Whne the Man upstairs calls me home, that'll be it, but I don't puch the issue either..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hypocrisy (SP)? Knows no bounds.
Someone dies in a motorcycle accident people stop riding,some sell their bikes.
Someone dies in a car accident we all get in our cars and go to the funeral.

I had a 2nd grade teacher that HATED "what if" you would miss recess for saying it.I think you should miss recess....LOL

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mike,

A two part question for you before I answer your question. Are you a EMT? If so, are you only doing non-emergency transports at work meaning interfacility transports, hospital discharges, nursing home stuff, going from patients houses to rehab or dr.'s offices etc. etc. or have you been or are you out in the field doing Emergency Medical transports? Brian

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't "what if" , but I do think about the safety of my wife when she is on the Wing with me.
I ride it like I stole it when I am on alone.
I live with my childhood motto even as an adult (Big Kid) "Nothing Can Happen to Me." and so far, it hasn't 8)
I have been riding street bikes for over 20 years, I have never dropped one, laid one down, or crashed one.
Now dirt bikes, But thats something that is going to happen, in the dirt, I would push it to its limit which sometimes means beyond my limit..

Think no more about "What If", It will eat you up and as you stated, you will continue riding your Wing, Not if the "What If" gets the best of you.

Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times.
(Slow down through intersections. Always.)

"What If" ___________ (anything bad that has ever happened could fit in this space.)

Car wreck, plane crash, space shuttle debris, lightening bolt, heart attack, anurism (sp), and my most hated "Cancer"
I would rather go 150mph into something solid on my Wing, than to die from cancer.
cancer has taken several of my family and some friends. (I kinda went off topic.)

(back on topic)
Wear your Safety Gear ...

Good Luck to you all and a Prayer for your Safety..

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
What if, and could you handle this?

As some of you know, I'm in the medical transport business and get to see some sad sights stemming from wars (veteran clients) and accidents of all kinds of men, women and kids
Without turning this post into a gloom and doom of what I experience on a daily basis, I got a question for you GL1800 riders
that take along a passenger in back of your GL1800. Some ride as high as 85% two-up at all times with wife's, kids, girlfriends, brothers, sister's.

Before I get into my question, let me state that I ride 85% alone. When I ride my Goldwing, or transporting clients during rush hour in my medical van, there's always
this question in the back of my mine as to "what if" I'm in a horrible situation were I land in a hospital with months of rehab when and if the big one hits.

When the "what if" strikes, I feel it is my choice alone to ride/dress the way I enjoy the sport of cycling, and hope I can handle any circumstances that might come alone
through practice, attending riding school and just plain awareness of my surroundings.
Sometime I think we get so wrapped in enjoying a good ride, we forget what could happen.

Now here's my question with a twist:

"If the "what if" hits with your loved one on back of your Goldwing,
are you ready to experience them laying in a hospital with miles of tubes hanging from their body,
with some after effects for years to come, just because you what them alone?"

No....... I'm not paranoid of riding, and will never give up my Goldwing.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that gives this any thought.

Thanks in advance.
I understand your perspective because I have relatives in the medical industry. This mindset is very commonplace in your field. The "what if" mindset can be a crippling attitude. I personally don't like it and refuse to be enslaved to that sort of thinking. Living in dread and fear is not living at all, it's bondage. If you can eliminate this type of thinking you will begin to enjoy riding and your life much more. T. 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ElBando said:
I guess people think about that subject, I do at times. But a crash in your car can be devastating also. I've been in car crashes, motorcycle crashes, airplane crashes, boat crashes......but I feel lucky.....never been in a train crash yet.
remind me not to go riding with you..... :shock:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
JustRalph said:
ElBando said:
remind me not to go riding with you..... :shock:
Beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing... LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts