GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a vet I have just about everything I can insure through USAA, but for some unknown reason, they won't insure bikes. USAA recommends Progressive. I had them for a while, then found out Geico offered the same or better coverage at a lower premium. I realize people choose certain companies for different reasons; some may be looking for the lowest premiums, for the best service, a good combination of the two, ect. If you have your insurance as part of a multi-vehicle group policy through the same company as your car/home/life policies, that isn't what I'm looking for. I need a company where this will be my only policy with them, that will provide coverage with a policy that would be a good compromise between reasonable premiums and good service. Not that Geico and Progressive aren't still viable options, is just smart to shop around...FWIW, I'm 62, healthy with good eyesight, I started riding 50 years ago, and my credit scores are all over 800...no tickets, or accidents...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use Daryland. I had Geico for years when I was living in CA. They always had the best price every time I checked. I moved to UT, and the price went up like crazy with Geico. The same thing happened when I moved from Washington to CA. I had Progressive in WA because they had the best price. In CA, it doubled. Comparing the same level of coverage, Daryland had the best price. I only insure my bike on this policy.

You are going to get responses all over the place. It all depends on where you live, your credit score, any claims in the past, age, age of your bike, are you married, do you own your house or rent, is your bike locked in a garage, and a bunch of other things that the insurance company uses to come up with a price. Your best bet is to just do the research yourself because the quote will be for your situation. The prices other people pay from the company they use will not be what you get. Even if they live just down the street from you!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
I just finished testing Progressive to the max. Totaled the bike over the Thanksgiving holidays and had my check for the bike 4 weeks later. I have no complaints about the way they handled everything. (y) (y)

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have Progressive for our cars, but when I got a quote from them for the bike they were way more expensive than Geico, like more than double, so I went with Geico. I've been a Geico customer before and have always been pleased with their customer service. The only reason the cars are with Progressive is that Geico doesn't offer loan/lease coverage. As soon as the loans get paid down some I will move the cars to Geico.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
I use Daryland. I had Geico for years when I was living in CA. They always had the best price every time I checked. I moved to UT, and the price went up like crazy with Geico. The same thing happened when I moved from Washington to CA. I had Progressive in WA because they had the best price. In CA, it doubled. Comparing the same level of coverage, Daryland had the best price. I only insure my bike on this policy.

You are going to get responses all over the place. It all depends on where you live, your credit score, any claims in the past, age, age of your bike, are you married, do you own your house or rent, is your bike locked in a garage, and a bunch of other things that the insurance company uses to come up with a price. Your best bet is to just do the research yourself because the quote will be for your situation. The prices other people pay from the company they use will not be what you get. Even if they live just down the street from you!
You nailed it. (y)

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
LIBERTY MUTUAL
$479 year
Houston TX

1 accident rear ended-they paid

just paid it

·
Registered
74 Posts
How about $938 Canadian with Allstate. 68 years old, no accidents or tickets. Does not include comprehensive or collision.
Where ? Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree, depends on a lot of information, but in Ohio I have had Geico for years because nobody else can touch them.
47 yrs old - Male
Great credit
1 claim a few years ago - sport bike fell over in my drive way $3600 in damage... not joking.

Reactions: goldwingchuck

·
Registered
470 Posts
A lot of it depends on what state you live in. Here in NJ, Progressive is by far the cheapest. I pay $928 for 3 bikes with full coverage. Geico and Allstate couldn't touch that and Dairyland don't write policies in NJ. I had one claim against my own policy when the garage caught fire and another against a friend's Progressive policy when they rear-ended me and in both cases the claims were paid out in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of it depends on what state you live in. Here in NJ, Progressive is by far the cheapest. I pay $928 for 3 bikes with full coverage. Geico and Allstate couldn't touch that and Dairyland don't write policies in NJ. I had one claim against my own policy when the garage caught fire and another against a friend's Progressive policy when they rear-ended me and in both cases the claims were paid out in less than 2 weeks.
Here in Ontario I would have to pay $938 per bike for very basic coverage with no collision or comprehensive.
My insurance company does not have a discount for multiple bikes and the $938 I pay is only if I have my car and house with them as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here in Ontario I would have to pay $938 per bike for very basic coverage with no collision or comprehensive.
My insurance company does not have a discount for multiple bikes and the $938 I pay is only if I have my car and house with them as well.
So you have no coverage on the bike at all? You must not a have a lien on the title, but still I would want coverage on the bike. If the bike gets totaled in an accident, you would just be out one very expensive bike....

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only coverage I have is liability and accident benefits. If I wanted collision and comprehensive it would have been $500 more ($1438). My Goldwing is an 04.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Progressive -- about $475 annually with roadside assistance and $0 deductible collision.

I recently ran over something and cracked the bottom of the crankcase --> $6500 repair and no questions and I paid nothing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Progressive -- about $475 annually with roadside assistance and $0 deductible collision.

I recently ran over something and cracked the bottom of the crankcase --> $6500 repair and no questions and I paid nothing.
Wow, that was an expensive repair!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
$3600? Did it fall under a car tire? :D

I agree, depends on a lot of information, but in Ohio I have had Geico for years because nobody else can touch them.
47 yrs old - Male
Great credit
1 claim a few years ago - sport bike fell over in my drive way $3600 in damage... not joking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use American Modern and I'm pretty sure I pay around $300-something, can't remember the exact amount but it was $200-something for the 2006 Goldwing that I traded on the 2018 Goldwing and it went up a little over $100 for the year and I'm 66.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Being a vet I have just about everything I can insure through USAA, but for some unknown reason, they won't insure bikes. USAA recommends Progressive. I had them for a while, then found out Geico offered the same or better coverage at a lower premium. I realize people choose certain companies for different reasons; some may be looking for the lowest premiums, for the best service, a good combination of the two, ect. If you have your insurance as part of a multi-vehicle group policy through the same company as your car/home/life policies, that isn't what I'm looking for. I need a company where this will be my only policy with them, that will provide coverage with a policy that would be a good compromise between reasonable premiums and good service. Not that Geico and Progressive aren't still viable options, is just smart to shop around...FWIW, I'm 62, healthy with good eyesight, I started riding 50 years ago, and my credit scores are all over 800...no tickets, or accidents...
I went with Progressive, $353 a year, full coverage. I called Dairyland, they wanted $957 for the same coverage. It depends a lot on where you are located and shopping around is a good strategy. I live in Las Vegas,NV.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts