GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have Allstate. 2 bikes. Not sure what I pay - probably too much but they have always been a pleasure to deal with. No complaints.

Chuck

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
I have had Goldwings since 2003 and have changed insurance companies 7 or more times. It is always the same story, good initial rates and then after a year or three they jump up in price greatly. At which time I switch and get a low price again.

prs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both my 2018 DCT Tour and my 2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100 full coverage with Progressive $128.70 every 6 months - you can't pay a year in full only semi-annually. 52 years old 800+ credit score as I know that's a big factor with Progressive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have had Geico for years. About every 4-5 years I do some comparison shopping and always stay with Geico. My cars are with them too. Cannot answer how they handle claims, because (knock on wood) have never had to use them for that.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I too have used USAA for my cars for over 50 years, and for my home insurance as well. I use Progressive for the motorcycle, through USAA (I am not sure exactly what their relationship is, but even the phone number I use to discuss my Progressive policy is at USAA). When I added my PCX150 scooter to my policy, the total cost went down a few dollars because the "multi bike discount" was greater than the cost of insuring the scooter. About three years ago I did call Geico for a quote and they were a tiny bit cheaper, but no enough to switch companies. I'm 77 and live in IL.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Both my 2018 DCT Tour and my 2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100 full coverage with Progressive $128.70 every 6 months - you can't pay a year in full only semi-annually. 52 years old 800+ credit score as I know that's a big factor with Progressive.
Who rides the V-Star?

·
Registered
169 Posts
$222 a year thru Progressive in Pa. Full coverage plus roadside assistance.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Being a vet I have just about everything I can insure through USAA, but for some unknown reason, they won't insure bikes. USAA recommends Progressive. I had them for a while, then found out Geico offered the same or better coverage at a lower premium. I realize people choose certain companies for different reasons; some may be looking for the lowest premiums, for the best service, a good combination of the two, ect. If you have your insurance as part of a multi-vehicle group policy through the same company as your car/home/life policies, that isn't what I'm looking for. I need a company where this will be my only policy with them, that will provide coverage with a policy that would be a good compromise between reasonable premiums and good service. Not that Geico and Progressive aren't still viable options, is just smart to shop around...FWIW, I'm 62, healthy with good eyesight, I started riding 50 years ago, and my credit scores are all over 800...no tickets, or accidents...
Vet here too, got away from USAA, they kept raising my rates. Moved everything to Liberty Mutual, saved money on everything!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Who rides the V-Star?
I've had that bike since it was new...its always satisfied my need for a noisy, vibrating around town bike or cruises in the country as long as its under 65 mph. I just changed the tires this summer after 17k miles and its never had any issues since new. I love the color or titanium and metallic black.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I've been meaning to shop around but haven't. Like you, @grampi , I'm a USAA for everything guy, was shocked by Progressive's rates, and went with Geico.

Similar to @Monk , I recently stress tested my insurance company (Geico) and they passed with flying colors.

I keep hearing about rates and friendly agents and such from people flogging their good deals. I don't think a company is worth considering until you've got a preponderance of evidence that they're as good as paying out as they are at receiving premiums.

I dunno. Who are the repeat offenders on the GREAT CLAIMS RESULT metric? Geico, Progressive, State Farm? Anyone? Bueller?

I wouldn't go with anyone not on that list. But I do know from my own and other's experience that it may be worth getting quotes to compare amongst them. Just be sure to compare the coverage and declarations so it's apples to apples pricing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Vet here too, got away from USAA, they kept raising my rates. Moved everything to Liberty Mutual, saved money on everything!
I've heard this before and I just don't get it. I've been with USAA for over 20 years and if anything, my rates have gone down. It must have something to do with where the person lives, or other factors. I've even filed multiple claims with them, two of them were accidents where vehicles were totaled and one was my wife's fault, the other was my daughter's fault, and my rates never increased. Whenever I compare their rates to other companies, USAA is always the lowest. I just wish they would insure bikes...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
$238 a year with Geico, full coverage, $500 deductible, $100K/$300K bodily injury, $100K property damage...I don't think that's too bad...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
I've heard this before and I just don't get it. I've been with USAA for over 20 years and if anything, my rates have gone down. It must have something to do with where the person lives, or other factors. I've even filed multiple claims with them, two of them were accidents where vehicles were totaled and one was my wife's fault, the other was my daughter's fault, and my rates never increased. Whenever I compare their rates to other companies, USAA is always the lowest. I just wish they would insure bikes...
I don’t understand it either, never a claim or speeding ticket and credit score over 800 and they would raise my premium every six months. When I left them last year my homeowners went down $100 every 6 months, our cars went down $85 every six months and the bike coverage is $40 cheaper per year than Progressive was. All of my coverage levels are the same or better than they were with USAA as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had Rider Insurance since 2002, first in NJ, and now in PA. By motorcyclists, for motorcyclists. Reasonable rates, great coverage. They merged with, or were absorbed by Plymouth Rock this past fall. I’ll be interested to see if the rates change.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Unhappily, I have Progressive. After an accident that was the other drivers fault and their insufficent medical coverage covered almost nothing, I am left with over $40K in bills that my health insurance was forced to cover a large portion of. Progressive is trying to weasel out by offering $2500 toward the remaining medical. A fraction of out of pocket. I carry $50,000 uninsured/underinsured and I stupidly thought, that is what it's for.
I'll let my lawyer sort it out.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts