GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install an Ipod on the bike and get rid of my xm radio. What ipods work best on the bike?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Flash based memory iPods generally work best. Hard Drive based units tend to "lock up" more frequently.

If you stick with either the iPod Nano, Shuffle or Touch, you'll be just fine. Personally, I refer the Nano. Small, inexpensive and it's easy to use.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Aren't all Ipods flash memory now?????My little $69 IPOD Shuffle sounds as good as the $250 plus Ipods. But features, it has none.

Yes when I had an old Ipod with hard memory it locked up often.(trashed it)

New generation has given me no problemos

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've had a bunch and now use and prefer the 32GB Creative Zen X-fi flash player. It comes with good software that makes if very easy to create playlists. You can also just drag and drop using Windows explorer. It comes with a USB cable to synch/charge and as recommended at on the forum below by one of the moderators I got a Motorola AC cell phone charger at amazon.com for $1.65 to charge in hotels, the Zen AC charger would be $25.
Battery is good for 20-30 hrs between charges depending on your backlight settings and if you do a lot of video etc.
Lots of great info here:
www.anythingbutipod.com
Then click the "forum" button in the upper right

Update:
I dropped my wing riding on icy roads this past weekend and my flash based Zen is working fine. I guess it could have been different if it were a hard drive player.

Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
I originally used the 30gb with a hard drive and stayed so frustrated it almost became target practice. I have since upgraded to the 80gb with hard drive and have not had the lock up issues. That being said, when they come out with a large enough flash version, and my wife says I can afford it ;) I would definitely go with it. If the flash holds enough music, it is definitely the way to go. Since I can only have one, per boss, I have one large enough to hold most of my music as I use it on the bike, in the truck, in the garage, at work, oh well, you get the picture !!! The eighty gb is overkill for the bike unless you are doing a 40+ day iron butt and don't want to hear the same song twice :-D

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have the 32GB iPod Touch G2............very nice unit and the largest <non-hard drive based> available.
I previously had a HD based unit and it worked fine in the trunk but you need to be more careful with them. They also chew up battery power much faster.

Here's where I have mine.........used with e Schosche wireless remote.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I have a nano...Hit play, stick it in your left glovebox, and enjoy your day. Mine stays going for 7+ hours. I do shut it off when I stop for a period of time. It just jumps to the next song..No hassle, no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts