GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will try asking in a different way as I got no response on last thread. 09-10 Canadian Navigation models still use the CompactFlash versions. A friend has firmware 2.21 installed on his but I know it is an older version. I have searched high and low for more information but keep coming up empty. For those with Canadian models, specifically the 09-10, what is the most current firmware and can anyone provide me with that gupdate.gcd file? Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
All Canadian CF card navis will work with the latest firmware version that is v5.1.
If you want a copy, pm me with an email address and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Canadian CF card navis will work with the latest firmware version that is v5.1.
If you want a copy, pm me with an email address and I will send it to you.

I have the 5.10 along with most of the other ones like 4.60, 4.70, 4.90, etc. but I had understood that these were all for US 06-08 units only. The reason I asked was that I knew that the US 06-08 started out with 4.xx. I also knew the the US 09-10 started using the Navi units that used SD cards but the Canadian 09-10 continued to use CompactFlash units but their firmware was using 2.xx. In researching, I came across that I believe European and Australian 09-10 also used the CompactFlash navigation units. Another thread I came across where someone in Europe with an 09 started using 4.60 but had glitches and had to do a complete reset by pulling off the navi unit to access the reset button on the navi unit and then found and installed a European 2.30 firmware or something similar. I am just trying to keep from this having to be done as I am helping a friend via email to get his updated. His has 2.21 which obviously wouldnt read the current maps properly and needed an update. I can help him update to the 5.10 as long as I know that it will work properly on his unit...

So you know that the 5.10 will definitely work?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Canadian wings started using the 2.xx versions of the firmware. When Garmin discontinued the non-NT maps after 2009 we were forced to use the same firmware as the US wings in order to take advantage of the newer maps. At one time, there were rumours of Garmin releasing a Canadian version for the NT maps but never did.
In order to change the country version or go to a previous version of the firmware, you will need to use the 'forced update' procedure which includes gently holding the reset switch in the black box to get the update started. The new firmware versions are compatible with the old non-NT maps.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure if my situation is the same as pwhoever but I'll explain. I recently bought a 2010 Goldwing (Canadian bike, here in Canada) and I wanted to see about updating the maps. The navi firmware is 2.21 and CF card shows North America V2009. I contacted my local Honda dealer, who offered to order a new CF card from Honda Canada for $476.86. That's not a typo. He was a little shocked himself.

Do I have other options to update the maps? Not sure if updating firmware is a requirement for that (?) or just best practice. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a Garmin with lifetime maps? Even if you had to buy one, you would still be way under the cost of the official updated maps. Also, I am assuming that the same is true with the Canadian 09-10 that Honda and Garmin are abandoning us and no future updates will be made. So your only choice would be to make your own updates using the Garmin GPS with lifetime maps. As an added benefit, the official Honda update is about 3 or 4 years old anyway. By making your own updates, you can have current mapsets.

You would have to update your firmware to 5.10 like MacWing says above because otherwise your unit will not be able to "see" or read the updated maps. Also, for some reason, the navi unit will no longer let you search for POI's by name but you can still search for closest or you will still be able to search by address. A workaround would be to put your old OEM card in to search for a particular POI and save it as a favorite. Then put in your card with custom mapset to route to it. You are also limited to only having under 2gb of data on a card. The newest North American updates are well over that. That means you have to split up North American maps onto 2 different cards to have all of North America but you can decide what you put on each. 1 other limitation to mention, when routing and using a destination of more than a couple hundred miles, you will not be able to use the "avoid highways" routing choice as you will get an out of memory error. You can use either fastest or shortest choice but not the avoid highway. You can choose via points to help but if you are going to use several via points, make sure to enter your final destination first, then furthest via next, and closest via last. Otherwise you will confuse the navi unit.

There are several threads about making your own custom cards. I think the maximum card size you can use is a 4gb but cant put over 2gb of data on it. You cannot simply copy the gmapprom.img from the Garmin, but must make a custom .img. All 06-08 and Canadian 09-10 will use a gmapsupp.img file.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information; gives me some options at least. I'm disappointed to hear that Garmin/Honda aren't more accommodating though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts