GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a 2003 goldwing trike at a dealer with 112,000 miles on the clock and they want $11995.00. Is this to many miles to pay that much? Looking for a trike but don’t want to break the bank. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,580 Posts
Lots of Gold Wings with 200K miles...some here have 450K miles....at only 112K miles and with a new OEM alternator and the rest of the bike taken care of I wouldn't worry about a thing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yes there are many Wings with 200K on them. Folks that own them know them.
People still shy away from anything with close to 100K on it because of the unknowns.
If you have some skills and can repair the small things like brakes and switches, make them an offer.
I'm riding a '99 Valkyrie that I bought new with almost 100K on it. I would not hesitate to take it X-country.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Saw a 2003 goldwing trike at a dealer with 112,000 miles on the clock and they want $11995.00. Is this to many miles to pay that much? Looking for a trike but don’t want to break the bank. Thanks for any input.
It would help if we knew which trike kit it has but, 112,000 is not a lot of miles on a wing if it has been maintained and $12k is not a lot of money for a Goldwing trike. The conversion kit alone can cost over $8,000 and, with installation, twice that.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
The other question might be 'how many miles on the conversion'.

The wear on the (non-Honda) trike parts is obviously much different if the conversion was done near new than if converted at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it looks to have been taken good care of, you better buy it quick.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Incredible price of that is proper Motor Trike conversion.

Sent from my really, really, really smartphone.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I bought my 01 6 years ago with 196K on it. It Ran like a new one then and does today. Been to Sturgis and back, did 4500 miles without a problem and am planning on it again. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Added a MotorTrike kit to my 2001 at about 175,000 miles. Sold it at a little over 200,000 miles for $10,000 and the bike and kit was still as good as the day I bought it. Last I heard, it was still going strong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer says it has independent rear suspension on the motortrike kit. Going to look at and hopefully test ride tommorrow as long as its not raining. Thanks for the input so far!

·
Registered
321 Posts
What is high miles??
How long is a piece of string?
Goldwings run darned near forever with proper care.
Guy I know recently sold a 1500 with 475,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
FWIW, service on a conversion bike might be an issue should it ever come to that. Honda dealers will not service trikes I've been told (by a Honda dealer).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've had two GW1800 trikes. One was a MotorTrike and our current California Sidecar. Service isn't a problem as Honda of Fairfield is a MotorTrike Dealer and Honda of Florence, KY services all trikes. There may be some dealers who don't service trikes but I haven't found one locally.
Good Luck with your decision.
Bill

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
I would buy a GW with 100k that I had maintained and not have any worries. But no way would I buy someone elses with that many miles that only knows how to keep a bike looking like brand new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to look at trike on Saturday. Wasn't taken care of at all NO Sale. My wife and I went over to Leola Motortrike and got a quote on triking my 2002 and we may go that route.Mine only has 29,000 miles and should be a no brainer. I guess I was just looking for one that I could use now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts