GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to find a spec sheet or service manual based answer. It's almost like a oil thread in that everyone seems to "know" the answer but then their answers are all over the board. What I keep hearing is that the measurement is any where from 4.5 to 6.5 inches. Is there a definitive answer that is based on something besides individual opinion?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Barney. Not to be difficult, but what is the source of the 5 inch response? I was hoping to get a response that was something like "here's a copy of a Honda tech sheet saying It is 5 or 5.5 or 6 inches" Anybody have something like that?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
From inside of bead

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with fat fingers

·
Registered
132 Posts
I could be wrong but your rim has a number cast into the back side of one of the spokes. The ending letters are DOT and amongst the letters are a number 16 and 5.00. I assume they stand for Department Of Transportation, 16 inch diameter and 5.00 inch rim width.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I went and looked at my 2010 Rear wheel (as I have two). One spoke is marked J 16M/CXMT 5.00 DOT 50S I will check out what the markings mean online but it Seems quit plausible that what Kasey says is correct and confirms Barney statement. Most likely, our wheels are 5.00 inch bead width. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, visited a local wheel repair company here in Charlotte. Got a explanation for the stampings on the back spoke of my 2010 wheel that Kasey pointed out. Remember it was marked with:

J 16M/CXMT 5.00 DOT 50S

Guy said it was: Japanese - 16inch - Motor Cycle - wasn't sure about the XM* - Tubeless - 5.00 inches bead (shoulder to shoulder) - DOT approved - 50 states

* Guy thought that maybe XM meant Aluminum Alloy construction

So that is what I learned with much help from folks here. Not guaranteeing it is 100% correct but I am satisfied. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts